Posted to rec.woodworking
patrick mitchel

Default bandsaw users- bulk blade or?

Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper length
.. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

If you are good at brazing then this is the way to go. I wish I had the
time and skill to do it this way. In the long run, you will save money, I
find that I can go thru blades quickly when cutting hardwoods. I prefer a
fresh sharp blade to get cleaner cuts and spend less time sanding out the
bandsaw marks left by dull blades. Hardwood end grain is murder to sand.

Tom
..
"patrick mitchel" wrote in message
Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them
up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly
long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper
length
. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

patrick mitchel wrote:

Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper length
. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

I buy Woodslicer (Highland Hdwe) or Timberwolf (Suffolk). A 12" x 3/16
is under $15 IIRC and they last for at least a year. The 14" x 1/2
isn't much more. Doesn't seem to be worth it to roll my own. If you're
a production shop maybe the cost/benefit equation is different.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

If you don't do a really good job it can affect the blade tracking,
and applying heat might affect the blade temper. If you don't need
to replace your blades frequently, I'd buy them already made.

patrick mitchel wrote:
Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper length
. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"patrick mitchel" wrote in message
Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them
up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly
long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper
length
. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

The local saw blade guy makes them up for me when ever I need them. About
$35 for the last one. 3/4" 4TPI lennox.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:41:40 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
wrote:

Does the typical user buy their blade in bulk (100' roll) and braze them up
or buy individual blades. I'm an infrquent user but have bought overly long
blades when I couldn't find one locallly and braze it back to proper length
. I suppose buying perhaps 3 or 4 rolls (different tpi) would be pricey if
in order under theose circumstances.. Thanks Pat

I don't know if I'm the typical user or not, but I don't weld and don't know any
other bandsaw owners that do..

In my case, I only use a blade or 2 a month, so cost isn't a big factor... also,
they are readily available at a saw shop close to home, which means that I have
no reason to stock a lot of blades..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing