RonB

Default ADVICE: Bandsaw Blade Twist

A few days ago I managed to get a 3/8" bandsaw blade crossed up as I was
finishing with a thick piece of hardwood. Short story shorter, I ended up
with a twist that is set into about 3" to 4" of its length. I am guessing
at it's worst its about a 10 to 20 degree twist. I didn't realize until
today that the "rattle" effect was too severe to leave it on the machine and
swapped it out.

Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these? It is a fairly new
and sharp blade. Obviously sharper that the user.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
RonB

Tom

RonB wrote: A few days ago I managed to get a 3/8" bandsaw blade crossed up as
I was
finishing with a thick piece of hardwood. Short story shorter, I ended up
with a twist that is set into about 3" to 4" of its length. I am guessing
at it's worst its about a 10 to 20 degree twist. I didn't realize until
today that the "rattle" effect was too severe to leave it on the machine and
swapped it out.

Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these? It is a fairly new
and sharp blade. Obviously sharper that the user.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
RonB

If I couldn't cold-work it straight, I'd let it go. Some judicious tapping
with a mallet and drift over a piece of scrap might set it straight(er).
They're reasonbly inexpensive, too. Tom
Work at your leisure!
George

You can twist it back and tap it relatively straight - making sure to stay
away from the teeth, of course. This is a gentle hammering, not a
blacksmith-type. it will harden the blade a bit, even when conducted on a
wooden anvil.

Move your guides out to keep it from binding, and use it for rough work
until it goes.

"RonB" wrote in message
A few days ago I managed to get a 3/8" bandsaw blade crossed up as I was
finishing with a thick piece of hardwood. Short story shorter, I ended up
with a twist that is set into about 3" to 4" of its length. I am guessing
at it's worst its about a 10 to 20 degree twist. I didn't realize until
today that the "rattle" effect was too severe to leave it on the machine

and
swapped it out.

Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these? It is a fairly new
and sharp blade. Obviously sharper that the user.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
RonB

Ken Moon

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
news7ffd.305451$MQ5.264026@attbi_s52...
How about using a couple of crescent wrenches to
apply a reverse twist and straighten it out?

===================================
Either of the above methods will work, but there is the possibility that the
blade, either during the original twist or the straightening, will crack. If
you have a strong magnifier, take a look at the blade along the damaged
area. If it's cracked, save yourself the straightening time and just replace
it .

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

RonB

They're reasonbly inexpensive, too. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Yeah I know they aren't too expensive. All four corners of my family are
Irish. Can't help being tight.

I'll give the suggestions a try.

Thanks to All.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:23:23 -0500, "RonB" calmly
ranted:

A few days ago I managed to get a 3/8" bandsaw blade crossed up as I was
finishing with a thick piece of hardwood. Short story shorter, I ended up
with a twist that is set into about 3" to 4" of its length. I am guessing
at it's worst its about a 10 to 20 degree twist. I didn't realize until
today that the "rattle" effect was too severe to leave it on the machine and
swapped it out.

Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these? It is a fairly new
and sharp blade. Obviously sharper that the user.

If it has sharp bends, forget it. It'll crack when you try.
Just toss it. That's the safest bet, anyway.

If it's not too sharp a bend, you might be able to straighten
it by clamping it between a couple pieces of steel bar stock.
Got a Worthington hammer? (Flat bar instead of ball peen) Hang
the coil of the blade over an anvil or the anvil of your vise,
and tap the rest of the twist flat from the convex side (bumpy
side up, for those of you in Rio Linda) with the teeth hanging
safely in mid air over the edge of the anvil.

If it pulls to one side, check the set on all the teeth at that
point. Make sure they're all even. A pair of needlenose vise
grips work OK for a saw set if you don't have one handy.

That blade will die an early death anyway, so be careful with it.
You could always cut the bad part off and save the rest to make
a bow saw.

I'm the expert on those saws around here (with almost 1 completed
saw under my belt now, not counting the prototype) so just ask if
you need any help with it. chuckle

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN ON NOVEMBER 2, 2004 OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

sniperoo

That blade will die an early death anyway, so be careful with it.
You could always cut the bad part off and save the rest to make
a bow saw.

I'm the expert on those saws around here (with almost 1 completed
saw under my belt now, not counting the prototype) so just ask if
you need any help with it. chuckle

Gee, glad you reminded me Larry. I'd almost forgotten the bow saw. It's
almost as old as(What was your antique cabinet saws name again?) isn't
it?(G,D & RLH)

--
Nahmie

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:23:23 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Try straightening it first. If you snap the blade, then you can make
yourself a bowsaw.

Tom

They're reasonbly inexpensive, too. Tom
Work at your leisure!

That's "reasonably". Sorry! Tom

Work at your leisure!
RonB

That's "reasonably". Sorry! Tom

Must be an OLD woodworker...............Cut that finger off years ago.

Ron

Leo Lichtman

"RonB" wrote: (clip) Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these?
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a technique I have read about in the Old Tools Newsgroup, that works
on handsaws. You press the blade against a hard, heavy surface, like the
top of an anvil, so it is held flat. Then, tap gently with a small hammer.
The hammering stresses combine with the flattening stresses to make the
metal yield, so the blade is straightened. For your blade, you might try
holding it with clamps and blocks while you do the pounding.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:23:23 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

A few days ago I managed to get a 3/8" bandsaw blade crossed up snip

Is there any Practical way to straighten one of these? It is a fairly new
and sharp blade. Obviously sharper that the user.

If you have enough adjustment in your tensioner you could cut the
twists out of the blade and silver solder it together. You would
probably lose about 20mm of blade length
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:50:36 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

sniperoo

That blade will die an early death anyway, so be careful with it.
You could always cut the bad part off and save the rest to make
a bow saw.

I'm the expert on those saws around here (with almost 1 completed
saw under my belt now, not counting the prototype) so just ask if
you need any help with it. chuckle

Gee, glad you reminded me Larry. I'd almost forgotten the bow saw. It's
almost as old as(What was your antique cabinet saws name again?) isn't
it?(G,D & RLH)

No, it's older.

Dina's doing well, but she needs a new set of teeth. That $4.99
HF 40T 10" C2 carbide blade has lasted a couple years, and I have a
new one to go on her, but I have to drill out the arbor hole first.
She has a 3/4" arbor.

Didn't you see her in her new clothes a couple years back?
I gave her a new coat of paint and added nice dust collection panels.
Her mouth is still a gaper, though, at about an inch shy of zero
clearance. ALL small/short stock goes on the _sled_, period.

She also has an occasional outfeed table, but I've yet to make it
permanent or cut the groove for the miter slide. Since I haven't
used the miter for ripping with it yet, that's not a problem.

My preferred way of doing tenons is on the bandsaw, so I may never
make a tenoning jig for Dina. We'll see.

I'm waiting for 4 clients to give their updates to me so I've had a
chance to go out into the shop this morning, too. The carving bench
legs are going to be glued together today, and I should be able to
scrape and smooth the top, too.

It's 11am and the newspaper is almost dry. The rooter man just left
so my kitchen sink isn't full of black water any longer. What a way
to start yer day, eh?

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over
150 new jobs, enough to hire the ex-regulator, the unemployed, and
the able-bodied poor." -Michael Badnarik

VOTE LIBERTARIAN ON NOVEMBER 2, 2004 OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Bjarte Runderheim

"Andy Dingley" skrev i melding
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:23:23 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Try straightening it first. If you snap the blade, then you can make
yourself a bowsaw.

Try straightening it _and_ snap the blade.

You will never get anything near satisfaction from a
kinky blade.

Putting a bad blade in the machine, every time you need to
do a bad job, just is not worth your while.

Bjarte

Norman D. Crow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:50:36 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
calmly ranted:
Gee, glad you reminded me Larry. I'd almost forgotten the bow saw. It's
almost as old as(What was your antique cabinet saws name again?) isn't
it?(G,D & RLH)

No, it's older.

Dina's doing well, but she needs a new set of teeth. That $4.99
HF 40T 10" C2 carbide blade has lasted a couple years, and I have a
new one to go on her, but I have to drill out the arbor hole first.
She has a 3/4" arbor.

Didn't you see her in her new clothes a couple years back?

Yup, I saw the pics, just had a brain f**t and couldn't remember her name!

--
Nahmie

A. Kemelman

From my experience of working with bandsaws it isn't worth the time or
effort trying to straighten out the blade. You'll never get it like it
was and it'll never cut as accurately. You might save a bit of money
in not buying a new blade but the frustration of working with the old
one isn't worth it. Sooner or later you'll buy a new one and kick
yourself for not having done so sooner.
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:51:31 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Didn't you see her in her new clothes a couple years back?

Yup, I saw the pics, just had a brain f**t and couldn't remember her name!

It's pronounced "Deena", and she's my Dina saur.
1920's Hollywood production date and manufacturing place.