Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending PCV

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

wrote:

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

Anyone selling Greenlee Products. Not sure if the spelling is right
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

I've used a large propane torch, carefully. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

One of my clients started out using the Kitchen oven to make PVC
fittings and joints. They would then shape it, and then fling the
finished product out the window to a family member -- who then doused it
in a tub to "freeze" the joint. They are much more sophisticated these days.

So I guess you can use any "gentle" heating method that works. :-)

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

A hot air gun works if you are carefull.

You may need to pack the pipe with sand to prevent it kinking.

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

A hot air gun works if you are carefull.

You may need to pack the pipe with sand to prevent it kinking.

I can see using this method using a smaller dia. pipe but 6" is a little
touchy. More volume of pipe and depending on the thickness, but it's worth
a try. You might be able to rent a heat blanket from a good rental yard.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 19 Dec 2005 07:53:34 -0800, wrote:

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

I've never done this with 6", but I've bent a lot of 3/4" and 1"...
I use a heat gun, but you have to have something inside the pipe at the bend to
keep it from collapsing or kinking...

I use a garden hose for small stuff, not sure what you'd use for big
pipe...maybe a sleeve of sand like they use for weight for trucks in snow??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

evodawg wrote:

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

A hot air gun works if you are carefull.

You may need to pack the pipe with sand to prevent it kinking.

I can see using this method using a smaller dia. pipe but 6" is a little
touchy. More volume of pipe and depending on the thickness, but it's worth
a try. You might be able to rent a heat blanket from a good rental yard.

How about that tape-like flexible heating element that you wrap around
pipes to keep the from freezing? Plugs into 110V.

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

I just redid my whole system w/ 6" - looking at that exact page.
I tried a few bends using a torch as well as a heat gun.
I had no luck at all doing it. I have done some smaller stuff - but I just
couldnt get uniform enough heat to do what I needed it to do.
I finally gave up and just bought a few 45's - I was able to do what I
needed w/ that.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
max

I saw a pool guy make a sheet metal bonnet for the exhaust pipe on his
truck. He would start the truck, put the pipe in the bonnet and rotate it
until it was hot enough to bend. The bonnet looked just like one for a drain
vent. It had the round ring to fit the outside of his exhaust, and then
another piece riveted to one side and curved over and riveted to the other
side. Worked like a champ.
max

wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a
cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different
options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There
is a great resource at
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm. Mr. Pentz suggests
bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where
to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative
methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

One of my clients started out using the Kitchen oven to make PVC
fittings and joints. They would then shape it, and then fling the
finished product out the window to a family member -- who then doused it
in a tub to "freeze" the joint. They are much more sophisticated these days.

So I guess you can use any "gentle" heating method that works. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob the Tomato

I had an electrician do some 4" gray pvc for an install at work. He
had to go 'round some obstables and used the greenlee heat blanket.
It works, but you have to be slow and patient. I can't imagine trying
to bend 6" by that method. Buy sweeps (long elbows) intead.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:37:58 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Back when PVC first came out, the local dealer had a 1/2 55 gal. barrel
filled with antifreeze solution that he heated over a wood fire. They
dipped pieces of pipe in the hot solution and bent it to whatever shape
they wanted.
Prolly violates 14 different OSHA and EPA regs. now.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Virgle

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Back when PVC first came out, the local dealer had a 1/2 55 gal. barrel
filled with antifreeze solution that he heated over a wood fire. They
dipped pieces of pipe in the hot solution and bent it to whatever shape
they wanted.
Prolly violates 14 different OSHA and EPA regs. now.
Bugs

The owner of a large business told me when needing to bend electrical PVC
conduit They would put it inside of a bus exhaust pipe for heat. He stated
you could run the pipe around bends.
Virgle

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Most things that work well do.

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Prolly violates 14 different OSHA and EPA regs. now.
Bugs

Wood bending for canes? mac davis Woodturning 20 July 8th 05 06:55 PM
Bending Rebar Doug Kanter Home Repair 24 March 12th 05 01:21 PM
What is "bending plywood"? Ian Dodd Woodworking 9 November 15th 04 04:44 AM
Bending Aluminum Plate Jay Mojave Metalworking 4 August 20th 03 01:30 PM
scroll bending jig Keith Marshall Metalworking 0 July 10th 03 01:57 AM