Ian Dodd

Default What is "bending plywood"?

I was flipping through the Nov. '04 issue of Fine Homebuilding today
(killing time and it was on a coffee table) and came across an article
about building cabinets with curved doors. Scanning through it, the
author/cabinetmaker said he made the doors out of 1/8" "bending
plywood" over a form and then veneered them.

Earlier in the day I had been rolling an idea over in my mind that
called for bent laminations and this article seemed to suggest a
possible material.

Has anybody ever heard of "bending plywood"? Is this a particular
product engineered with more flexibility for this purpose? If I go to
my plywood specialty dealer (and I do have one near home) and ask for
"bending plywood" will I get anything more than a blank stare?

Thanks for any insights.

Rob V

Its plywood that the grain goes the same direction in all the plys to allow
for bending.
I just used it on my latest project - see A.B.P.W - poker table.
I used it for the curved legs.

Stuff us really neat - you can take a full sheet and basically wrap it onto
itself.

"Ian Dodd" wrote in message
om...
I was flipping through the Nov. '04 issue of Fine Homebuilding today
(killing time and it was on a coffee table) and came across an article
about building cabinets with curved doors. Scanning through it, the
author/cabinetmaker said he made the doors out of 1/8" "bending
plywood" over a form and then veneered them.

Earlier in the day I had been rolling an idea over in my mind that
called for bent laminations and this article seemed to suggest a
possible material.

Has anybody ever heard of "bending plywood"? Is this a particular
product engineered with more flexibility for this purpose? If I go to
my plywood specialty dealer (and I do have one near home) and ask for
"bending plywood" will I get anything more than a blank stare?

Thanks for any insights.

Adam Weber

"Ian Dodd" wrote in message
om...
I was flipping through the Nov. '04 issue of Fine Homebuilding today
(killing time and it was on a coffee table) and came across an article
about building cabinets with curved doors. Scanning through it, the
author/cabinetmaker said he made the doors out of 1/8" "bending
plywood" over a form and then veneered them.

Earlier in the day I had been rolling an idea over in my mind that
called for bent laminations and this article seemed to suggest a
possible material.

Has anybody ever heard of "bending plywood"? Is this a particular
product engineered with more flexibility for this purpose? If I go to
my plywood specialty dealer (and I do have one near home) and ask for
"bending plywood" will I get anything more than a blank stare?

Thanks for any insights.

You could check LVT--called Finnish Birch Plywood

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50,43217&ccurr
ency=3&SID=3D07454ECE

Cheers

igor

On 11 Nov 2004 09:02:13 -0800, (Charles Erskine)
wrote:

You may need to find a manufacturer, for example:

http://www.interiorproducts.com/prod...imberflex.html

And then see who their web site lists as distributors to avoid the blank stare.

This stopped me for a minute when reading their homepage: "Timberflex is
available in 4'x8 and 8'x4 panel sizes..." Sounds like an old Abbott &
Costello routine. "Well try turning it this way."
Charles Erskine

I think it only bends along one axis. Some customers might want it to
bend along the 4 foot axis and others might want it to bend along the
8 foot axis, depending on what they are making.

If you would like a challenge, try coopered doors like Mr. Krenov
makes.