Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

Default Funky looking dovetails

While watching an episode of "Router Workshop" (yeah, I know...), I
saw something that sorta blew me away. He was routing some dovetails,
and I expected them to come out looking pretty much like dovetails,
but they came out looking a lot different.

They ended up all rounded, almost like interlocking keyhole shapes. I
recorded the episode (PVR), but deleted it to make room for other
stuff. I now wish I'd kept it and looked at it more carefully.

Anyone see that episode that could tell me how he did that? I figure
he probably used a straight bit, following a template with
dovetail-shaped slots in it, but what do I know?

waiting 'til after Christmas to see if Santa brings me a router

Larry
---
There are 10 kinds of people --
-- Uncle Phil
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Oleg Lego wrote:

While watching an episode of "Router Workshop" (yeah, I know...),
I saw something that sorta blew me away. He was routing some
dovetails, and I expected them to come out looking pretty much
like dovetails, but they came out looking a lot different.

http://www.leighjigs.com/i1.php
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean
you SHOULD. Turning a wooden
cowboy hat just seems plane dumb.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
charlie b wrote:

Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

There's a pretty cool "dovetail" from the late Victorian era - a sort of
scalloped edge with round pins. Reminds me of lace. Haven't looked at
the Leigh site to see if they have replicated that design, but ya gotta
have respect for those Industrial agers with such an attractive method
of joinery.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
While watching an episode of "Router Workshop" (yeah, I know...), I
saw something that sorta blew me away. He was routing some dovetails,
and I expected them to come out looking pretty much like dovetails,
but they came out looking a lot different.

A show full of splendid technique and jigs. The old bird knows more than a
lot of "fine woodworkers," beyond a doubt. The little asides he makes
demonstrate his depth of knowledge of material and furniture engineering,
not the photography of the repetitive cuts, nor the craft-show level
projects.

http://www.oak-park.com/ General

http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RTS-LDS- Specific

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just because you can, maybe you should. A demonstration of
new/different stuff is always good. Bob Rosendahl has been around for
a long time demonstrating routing techniques and homegrown jigs and
fixtures. While the show's editing and choreography are not at the
level of New Yanky Workshop (it is a mom and pop production), there
are better demos and explanations to the process.

Turning a wooden cowboy hat is the other show with the guy using a
lathe.

Pete S

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:16:20 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean
you SHOULD. Turning a wooden
cowboy hat just seems plane dumb.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Joe wrote:

Woodline also has a jig saw it at the wood working show looked pretty easy
Joe
http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=690

Woodline? Yuk, they make the worst router bits available. If this is the
same Woodline that makes most of the woodworking shows? I know the guy that
owns it and what an asshole. The guy is so full of himself it makes me sick
everytime I run into him. You would not believe the war stories involved
with that company.

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe

Woodline also has a jig saw it at the wood working show looked pretty easy
Joe
http://www.woodline.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=690

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:00:04 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

There's a pretty cool "dovetail" from the late Victorian era - a sort of
scalloped edge with round pins.

"Cope and pin" joints. They look quite cute but there's a lot of short
grain and they break out if you thump the joint.

Here in the UK I've mainly seen these on sewing machine cases (American
imports) underneath veneer. You get a peculiar line of damage in the
veneer surface if the case has ever been dropped and if you take the
veneer off to investigate, there's a split-out cope and pin joint
underneath it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Joe Barta entity posted thusly:

Oleg Lego wrote:

While watching an episode of "Router Workshop" (yeah, I know...),
I saw something that sorta blew me away. He was routing some
dovetails, and I expected them to come out looking pretty much
like dovetails, but they came out looking a lot different.

http://www.leighjigs.com/i1.php

Thanks, Joe.
I didn't think they'd be quite so expensive.

Charlie wrote:

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Some of them, yes, I agree. However, I really like the simple ones (on
the Lee Valley link, I1A and I1C, left hand ones only). As well, the
'Heart' pattern available from Oak Park or Woodline would be a great
choice for a children's chest or box.

Larry
---
There are 10 kinds of people --
-- Uncle Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The charlie b entity posted thusly:

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean
you SHOULD. Turning a wooden
cowboy hat just seems plane dumb.

oops! Attributed this to George in another post. Sorry.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The George entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
.. .
While watching an episode of "Router Workshop" (yeah, I know...), I
saw something that sorta blew me away. He was routing some dovetails,
and I expected them to come out looking pretty much like dovetails,
but they came out looking a lot different.

A show full of splendid technique and jigs. The old bird knows more than a
lot of "fine woodworkers," beyond a doubt. The little asides he makes
demonstrate his depth of knowledge of material and furniture engineering,
not the photography of the repetitive cuts, nor the craft-show level
projects.

Lots of mixed feelings about that show. I am constantly amazed by the
little gems of wisdom sprinkled in between those repetitive cuts and
the irritating use of the phrase "in it". I love it when I run across
one of those "Aha!" or "Of course!" techniques. I am a real fan of
techniques that are best described as "can't miss automatic", for
centering, measuring, fitting, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron

"charlie b" wrote in message
Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean
you SHOULD. Turning a wooden
cowboy hat just seems plane dumb.

Yeah but the guy in Colorado that does it gets upwards of $1500 per hat!

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
. net...

"charlie b" wrote in message
Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

Just because you CAN doesn't mean
you SHOULD. Turning a wooden
cowboy hat just seems plane dumb.

Yeah but the guy in Colorado that does it gets upwards of $1500 per hat!

Two hundred for a hat seems to be the going rate at the shows I attend. I
assume it's $1300 for the name on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

i would certainly never take anything by the way it looks from the
Router Workshop. They mangle all the rules of aesthetic design all the
time, they don't seem to understand grain matching and their stuff in
general is the most hideous of design with the best workmanship. What a
weird combination.
I have seen the curby dovetails and esthetically they seem tacky kind
of like 70's shag carpet.
MBR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:12:40 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

The George entity posted thusly:

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Do they still do the "remove the watch and put it in box my grandson
made" ritual before starting to work? That used to drive me crazy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Mark & Juanita entity posted thusly:

Do they still do the "remove the watch and put it in box my grandson
made" ritual before starting to work? That used to drive me crazy.

Yes, but I always fast forward over that part. It's harder to skip
parts once they get into the main part of the show, as I don't want to
miss any of the tidbits of good information.

Larry
---
There are 10 kinds of people --
-- Uncle Phil
Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Do they still do the "remove the watch and put it in box my grandson
made" ritual before starting to work? That used to drive me crazy.

You'd rather the interminable disclaimers of the DiY Network?

This is a litigious society.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
In article ,
charlie b wrote:

Leigh calls them "bear's ears".

A little too gimmikey for my taste.

There's a pretty cool "dovetail" from the late Victorian era - a sort of
scalloped edge with round pins. Reminds me of lace. Haven't looked at
the Leigh site to see if they have replicated that design, but ya gotta
have respect for those Industrial agers with such an attractive method
of joinery.

I've read that joint was developed to demonstrate that
machinery was capable of joinery that could not (readily)
be done by hand.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:32:59 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .

Do they still do the "remove the watch and put it in box my grandson
made" ritual before starting to work? That used to drive me crazy.

You'd rather the interminable disclaimers of the DiY Network?

This is a litigious society.

I don't know what I would rather see; I just know what sets me off and
irritates me. Guess the making such a ritual of that on every program is
what got to me.

I'm not sure why the absence of this ritual would have placed them at
more risk litigation-wise. Norm and others don't go to that extreme (just
the "read, follow, and understand all of the instructions that come with
your equipment and remember, there is no more important safety device than
these [tap tap], your safety glasses").