Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Andy Dingley

Default Tiny dovetails - advice ?

I'm cutting some dovetails - jewellery box - and I need them to be
_very_ good. They're about 1/2" deep and wide and I want the narrow
edge of the pins to be just the thickness of a saw kerf.

Any advice on cutting really fine and quite small dovetails, and giving
a good result ?

I normally saw the tails out first, mark the pins form the tails with a
knife, then saw the pins. Here I just don't have the space to do that
though, even with a fine awl. Should I switch to pins-first and
cross-marking, or should I lay both out separately and cut them
separately ?

Timber is English ash, so it's pretty well behaved and easy to work.

Thanks

Cutback on plywood and new vinyl tile, need advice. statepenn99 Home Repair 1 March 12th 05 05:56 PM
Aerial advice MDD UK diy 8 April 10th 04 06:04 PM
Need advice on bending thick wire Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 5 February 13th 04 03:17 AM
Advice sought on American Turnmaster or Mazak lathe Rob Landry Metalworking 8 November 3rd 03 05:34 AM
Any advice with painters mate ? rocyn UK diy 1 October 4th 03 10:30 AM