MDD

Default Aerial advice

Afternoon all,
I am planning on replacing my TV aerial on Monday, but I am looking for
a bit of aerial selection advice before I go shopping tomorrow.

My house is in a dip and suffers from poor signal, I have a choice of
the Crystal Palace transmitter (group A) or Bluebell Hill (group E).

I am considering one of these two aerials
A 48 element http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html or
a 'Televes' aerial http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

Both of these are 'wideband' aerials - my theory is I can try each
transmitter in turn and see which one turns out best.

The Televes one says 'very directional' in the description - I am a bit
worried this means that if the wind blows it a bit I will have to get up
there and re-orientate it regularly.

I am thinking about replacing the masthead amp too (the house came with
one but it looks like it has been up there a *long* time).

Anyone got any advice (apart from get Sky!)
--
MDD
reply to usenet!
Andy Hall

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:29:35 +0100, MDD wrote:

Afternoon all,
I am planning on replacing my TV aerial on Monday, but I am looking for
a bit of aerial selection advice before I go shopping tomorrow.

My house is in a dip and suffers from poor signal, I have a choice of
the Crystal Palace transmitter (group A) or Bluebell Hill (group E).

I am considering one of these two aerials
A 48 element http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html or
a 'Televes' aerial http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

Both of these are 'wideband' aerials - my theory is I can try each
transmitter in turn and see which one turns out best.

Yes you can, although I believe that Bluebell Hill may carry different
local programmes.

The Televes one says 'very directional' in the description - I am a bit
worried this means that if the wind blows it a bit I will have to get up
there and re-orientate it regularly.

Yes it is more directional, which is why it has a subst antially
higher forward gain of 16.5dB vs. the 11.5dB of the other one.

Also, Televes is a good quality product - I have two of them - one on
Crystal Palace and the other on Hannington (which is another awkward
range of channels) and they are fine.
I have no idea what the other antenna is, but based on experience,
unbranded contract antennas have short lifetimes and are not good in
the first place.

Having a more directional antenna will help if you are in a dip and
perhaps suffer from multipath reception - it may well help to reduce
this.

I have my antennas on quite tall masts bolted to the side of the
house. 50mm quality galvanised tubes were used as recommended.
These do not move a great deal in the wind.

I am thinking about replacing the masthead amp too (the house came with
one but it looks like it has been up there a *long* time).

I would certainly do that too, if you believe that one is needed.
Remember that they will not always improve the final result because
they introduce noise themselves.

You may want to try without first.

Again, buy a good quality brand such as Antiference, Labgear or Fringe
- not Maxview. The noise figure is very important here. The lower
the better. If it isn't quoted, don't buy. I wouldn't buy any of
the TLC antenna amplifier products as it is unclear what they are.

Use CT100 satellite grade cable, not TV coax. This can make a big
difference.

Make sure that you use good quality self amalgamating tape - not
ordinary PVC tape.

Anyone got any advice (apart from get Sky!)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Big Bill

[...]

Yeah. Don't get a wideband as that'll pick up all kinds of unwanted
frequencies. I don't really know why they make widebands. Decide on
group A or E (I'd be inclined to go for A myself) get something with a
****load of elements on it, stick it on a 10 or 16' mast and you
shouldn't need to have a masthead amp. Amps, remember, don't just
amplify the signal you want, they amplify all those other signals too.
Remember you'll need a double-lashing kit with a big mast. Don't
tighten the top U bolt too much round the mast as it tends to weaken
the mast at that point and a strong wind could bend the mast there.

BB
Andy Hall

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:47:57 +0100, Big Bill
wrote:

Yeah. Don't get a wideband as that'll pick up all kinds of unwanted
frequencies.

Rubbish.

I don't really know why they make widebands. Decide on
group A or E (I'd be inclined to go for A myself)

That would be no use at all for Bluebell Hill.

get something with a
****load of elements on it, stick it on a 10 or 16' mast and you
shouldn't need to have a masthead amp.

That can't be determined without knowing the local topology.

Amps, remember, don't just
amplify the signal you want, they amplify all those other signals too.
Remember you'll need a double-lashing kit with a big mast. Don't
tighten the top U bolt too much round the mast as it tends to weaken
the mast at that point and a strong wind could bend the mast there.

BB

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Alan

In message , Big Bill
wrote

Yeah. Don't get a wideband as that'll pick up all kinds of unwanted
frequencies. I don't really know why they make widebands.

They make widebands because they are required for some reception

For instance Digital Terrestrial from Bluebell Hill are on channels 24,
27, 39, 42, 45 and 59 which requires a wideband aerial.

--
Alan

Alan

In message , MDD
wrote
Afternoon all,
I am planning on replacing my TV aerial on Monday, but I am looking for
a bit of aerial selection advice before I go shopping tomorrow.

My house is in a dip and suffers from poor signal, I have a choice of
the Crystal Palace transmitter (group A) or Bluebell Hill (group E).

What is the reception like at the moment?

If you want Terrestrial Digital TV in the future then you will need a
wideband aerial for Bluebell Hill.

I am considering one of these two aerials
A 48 element http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html or
a 'Televes' aerial http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

Also look at the CPC
http://www.cpc.co.uk

They have around 60 different aerials and related products for sale

Both of these are 'wideband' aerials - my theory is I can try each
transmitter in turn and see which one turns out best.

Good idea

The Televes one says 'very directional' in the description - I am a bit
worried this means that if the wind blows it a bit I will have to get up
there and re-orientate it regularly.

If you have to do that it will not have been fitted correctly.

I am thinking about replacing the masthead amp too (the house came
with one but it looks like it has been up there a *long* time).

The Televes has an optional (extra cost) masthead amplifier (Margin
Rising Device) that clips directly into the aerial i.e. it becomes part
of the aerial fitted in the 'ideal place'. You also need the power
supply (amp+power supply approx £15 + vat).

On the CPC opening page type dat45 in the search box. The aerials and
masthead amplifier details are on a dat45/dat75 link that should
appear.
--
Alan

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Big Bill wrote:
Yeah. Don't get a wideband as that'll pick up all kinds of unwanted
frequencies.

Every aerial picks up unwanted frequencies. It's the job of the receiver
to discriminate against these. A narrow band aerial will make signals
within its pass band slightly stronger, though.

I don't really know why they make widebands.

CH5 and Freeview in certain areas?

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , MDD
wrote:

I am considering one of these two aerials
A 48 element http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXD48.html or
a 'Televes' aerial http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT45.html

The DAT-45 is a superb piece of kit and has a switchable 13dB preamp built
in. Don't forget to buy a PSU to drive it though as it isn't supplied as
standard.

If you don't need / want the pre-amp, buy the PRO-45 version.

TV aerial installed David Cawkwell UK diy 2 November 22nd 03 09:55 PM
New TV aerial choice? David Cawkwell UK diy 24 November 13th 03 11:55 AM
FM Aerial installation Q's PJ UK diy 50 September 23rd 03 08:59 AM
New aerial set up Doctor D. UK diy 4 September 15th 03 12:11 AM