Posted to rec.woodworking
Contrarian

Default newbie saw queries

I want to cut up vs. pieces of plywood and
chipboard for utility shelves (have the sides,
need the shelves.)

The old (not old enough to be good I suspect)
hand saw I was given is 1. dull and 2. unsuitable
for the stuff I'm cutting.

I've seen mention of some Stanley JetCut saw. Will
one of these live through cutting up to 35 - 40
feet total?

Power tools are out for vs. reasons. Also it felt
good doing it, even with the old dull saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Contrarian wrote:

I want to cut up vs. pieces of plywood and
chipboard for utility shelves (have the sides,
need the shelves.)

The old (not old enough to be good I suspect)
hand saw I was given is 1. dull and 2. unsuitable
for the stuff I'm cutting.

I've seen mention of some Stanley JetCut saw. Will
one of these live through cutting up to 35 - 40
feet total?

Power tools are out for vs. reasons. Also it felt
good doing it, even with the old dull saw.

Actually, the teeth fall out after 29 feet of cutting through 3/4" PB. g

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
jack lin

i hope you can get more pleasure from the woodworking.my farther is
carpenter, and he teach me a lot by the woodworking,and makes a lot of
dolls for me.i am so proud of my farther.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Contrarian

jack lin wrote:

i hope you can get more pleasure from the woodworking

The right saw would make it much more pleasant.
Hand saw(s). Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Learn to sharpen your old saw. It isn't difficult to learn. There are
several sites, Disston, Stanley, etc. that I believe have sharpening
tutorials. You'll need a vise, some scrap boards to sandwich the saw in
the vise, and a triangular file. A saw set might be needed if it's in
bad shape. Take it to a saw shop for setting if needed. I don't use
mine once every ten years.
Once learned, it is an enjoyable [and possibly profitable] pastime.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Contrarian

Bugs did lately counsel thusly:

Learn to sharpen your old saw.

Indeed I have thought of this, and found the library
pages at http://www.vintagesaws.com

Although our acquaintance has been short, I have some
affection for this old (but not perhaps *old enough*
saw) But there's something of a regress involved,
one needs boards of a certain length for a saw vise
and this is the only saw I have and it doesn't cut well
enough yet.

Let's pretend I don't have anything. I wish to cut up
5 - 7 boards in the near future. Any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Contrarian wrote:
I want to cut up vs. pieces of plywood and
chipboard for utility shelves (have the sides,
need the shelves.)

The old (not old enough to be good I suspect)
hand saw I was given is 1. dull and 2. unsuitable
for the stuff I'm cutting.

I've seen mention of some Stanley JetCut saw. Will
one of these live through cutting up to 35 - 40
feet total?

Power tools are out for vs. reasons. Also it felt
good doing it, even with the old dull saw.

Look Here...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&cat=1&p=42884

Course if you are like most people you will then spend more time
browsing and imagining what you _could_ do with the right tools than
actually doing anything...

The uncarved block...

I got the following -- a Ryoba Saw -- which is a very nice fine cut saw.
Used it for hardwood, softwood, flush cutting etc. It is a _pull_ saw --
which allows good control with very little power.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42884,42896

General page for Ryoba Saws
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...96&cat=1,42884

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Contrarian wrote:

Let's*pretend*I*don't*have*anything.**I*wish*to*cu t*up
5*-*7*boards*in*the*near*future.**Any*suggestions.

I'd buy one of the Japanese saws with crosscut teeth on one side and rip
teeth on the other.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
Contrarian

WillR wrote:

I want to cut up vs. pieces of plywood and
chipboard for utility shelves (have the sides,
need the shelves.)

Look Here...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&cat=1&p=42884

Course if you are like most people you will then spend more time
browsing and imagining what you _could_ do with the right tools than
actually doing anything...

Right now I don't know enough about what all the
tools do.

Used it for hardwood, softwood, flush cutting etc. It is a _pull_ saw --
which allows good control with very little power.

This is what I got today! A pull saw. 9 1/2 inch Ryoba
from Garrett Wade. And cut up 5 times tonight what
I did Sunday. With a tool that will pay for itself in
really soon*. And I didn't get it at a Home
Depot !

I need to work a bit on keeping the lines I cut
straight though. But what I did is fine for the
intended use.

Will look at your other links when I can, right now
I see only text.

Thanks all!

* Some "hardware" stores sell prefab ?chipboard shelves
for about $15.00 - $20.00 USD. Using nice new clean
(but free) wood/plywood, with only the cost of the saw,
it will soon pay for itself. (The prefab stuff is the
wrong color usually and I need to get paint anyway)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Bugs wrote:
Learn to sharpen your old saw. It isn't difficult to learn. There are
several sites, Disston, Stanley, etc. that I believe have sharpening
tutorials. You'll need a vise, some scrap boards to sandwich the saw in
the vise, and a triangular file. A saw set might be needed if it's in
bad shape. Take it to a saw shop for setting if needed. I don't use
mine once every ten years.
Once learned, it is an enjoyable [and possibly profitable] pastime.

Hey, good idea. The top link in my GS (DAGS: stanley saw sharpening
tutorial) has a link to:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

and Frid's TFTW has another howto in which he explains why he puts a rip
shape on the teeth even of his crosscut saws.

er
--
email not valid