Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

Default Anybody Use These 4-way Clamps?

Anybody ever use these? How do you like them/How well do they work?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

I'm thinking about using a few of them when I glue up my workbench top.
The top will be 1-3/4" wide hard maple (thickness 3").

The Acorn Workbench plans show a rudimentary drawing of a tower clamp
that uses wedges to provide 4 way clamping. It is pretty much custom
made for the size of the top you are gluing.

Any other thoughts on the best way to clamp it?

-jj
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I have a set of the clamps. Rockler brand. Not worth the time it took to
go to the store, let alone the cost. The pads at the end of the screw bend
easily, assembling the whole thing while you have glued up boards between
them is a trick. Hard to get even. Don't really apply sufficient down
pressure to do much. I went back to pipe clamps, they work better.

"JJ" wrote in message
Anybody ever use these? How do you like them/How well do they work?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

I'm thinking about using a few of them when I glue up my workbench top.
The top will be 1-3/4" wide hard maple (thickness 3").

The Acorn Workbench plans show a rudimentary drawing of a tower clamp
that uses wedges to provide 4 way clamping. It is pretty much custom
made for the size of the top you are gluing.

Any other thoughts on the best way to clamp it?

-jj

Posted to rec.woodworking
DIYGUY

I have had these for about 15 years. I use them with oak 2x2's. They
work fine. Some of the things I don't like about them are that they are
somewhat challenging to get around the work in a speedy timeframe as the
glue is setting. That is because they are cumbersome to get placed in
the right notch setting. I also usually use wax paper under the clamp
boards to keep them from bonding to the work through squeeze out. That
is also somewhat difficult to get set up quickly. Also, I almost always
use them with my Jorgies or pipe clamps as well because a pair is never
enough for most of my projects.

They do an adequate job of keeping the boards flat. In an ideal world I
would glue up my work and then thickness it to the final dimension using
a sander or planer. As I live in a workshop that is budget and space
constrained I usually dimension the lumber to final thickness first and
then scrape or sand the boards to remove any trace of glue line.

Make sure you make the board that forms the clamp face with a piece of
wood that is no more than 1/2" or so in thickness. That way when you
clamp something less than 3/4" you won't prevent the clamps from giving
you the benefit of clamping in four directions.

JJ wrote:
Anybody ever use these? How do you like them/How well do they work?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

I'm thinking about using a few of them when I glue up my workbench top.
The top will be 1-3/4" wide hard maple (thickness 3").

The Acorn Workbench plans show a rudimentary drawing of a tower clamp
that uses wedges to provide 4 way clamping. It is pretty much custom
made for the size of the top you are gluing.

Any other thoughts on the best way to clamp it?

-jj

Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Had them, tossed them. I found them to be so awkward to use that they were a
help rather than a hinderance. I normally just edge glue one or two seams at
a time so that I can just tweek alignment by hand.

When I did a benchtop (like yours) I just cut the pieces a little wide and
(the 3" way) so that I could send roughly 3x6 ubassemblies back through the
jointer and planer to true up any misalignment.

-Steve

"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a set of the clamps. Rockler brand. Not worth the time it took to
go to the store, let alone the cost. The pads at the end of the screw bend
easily, assembling the whole thing while you have glued up boards between
them is a trick. Hard to get even. Don't really apply sufficient down
pressure to do much. I went back to pipe clamps, they work better.

What he said.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"JJ" wrote in message
Anybody ever use these? How do you like them/How well do they work?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=321

I'm thinking about using a few of them when I glue up my workbench top.
The top will be 1-3/4" wide hard maple (thickness 3").

The Acorn Workbench plans show a rudimentary drawing of a tower clamp that
uses wedges to provide 4 way clamping. It is pretty much custom made for
the size of the top you are gluing.

Any other thoughts on the best way to clamp it?

IMHO gimmicky. You can easily and more cheaply use a straight board and
clamps to accomplish the same thing.

Corner clamps for a frame, What is this for? Steve Home Repair 0 October 17th 05 08:11 PM
Clamps Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 6 January 19th 05 08:32 AM
Clamps from Borg Robert Rushing Woodworking 26 September 10th 04 10:08 PM
FS : Pipe Clamps & Deep throat Pipe clamps Rob V Woodworking 5 February 14th 04 02:33 PM
Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps ON SALE TomL Woodworking 2 August 3rd 03 04:49 PM