Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Use Router after bit damage?

A bit worked loose out of my 1/4" router as it was going. Fortunately it
didn't fly out, but it did tear up the wood quite a bit.
Now I've clean up the router however I question the safetyness of it.
Although bits fit in the collet and seem to tighten securly is the router
safe to use after this mishap. I can see events where the bit seems secure
and goes flying out again, this time with very dramatic results and a trip
to the emergency room.

So can I use it safely or should I pitch it?
TIA
Just call me 'shorty'.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Clean the shank and the collet thoroughly with acetone or alcohol.
Insert it just about completely into the collet, and check it a lot
whilst using, Shorty. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

tom wrote:

Clean the shank and the collet thoroughly with acetone or alcohol.
Insert it just about completely into the collet, and check it a lot
whilst using, Shorty. Tom

Gee, I've never been able to focus too well on a bit turning 18,000 RPM.
I can't even keep my eyes focused on our ceiling fans, when they are
on "high".

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

wrote in message
A bit worked loose out of my 1/4" router as it was going. Fortunately it
didn't fly out, but it did tear up the wood quite a bit.
Now I've clean up the router however I question the safetyness of it.
Although bits fit in the collet and seem to tighten securly is the router
safe to use after this mishap. I can see events where the bit seems secure
and goes flying out again, this time with very dramatic results and a trip
to the emergency room.

So can I use it safely or should I pitch it?
TIA
Just call me 'shorty'.

I had that happen and sold it on ebay.
I am pretty sure I put it in properly, so if it happened once it can happen
again. I wasn't so much worried about it flying out, as ruining another
project.
It happened to be a craftsman that is notorious for the problem; yours might
not be.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Dave wrote: Gee, I've never been able to focus too well on a bit
turning 18,000 RPM.
I can't even keep my eyes focused on our ceiling fans, when they are

on "high".
That's why we were those glasses. At least our eyes will be protected.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
A bit worked loose out of my 1/4" router as it was going. Fortunately it
didn't fly out, but it did tear up the wood quite a bit.
Now I've clean up the router however I question the safetyness of it.
Although bits fit in the collet and seem to tighten securly is the router
safe to use after this mishap. I can see events where the bit seems secure
and goes flying out again, this time with very dramatic results and a trip
to the emergency room.

So can I use it safely or should I pitch it?
TIA
Just call me 'shorty'.

Sears Craftsman router? This was a common problem with those.

I did get a lot of use out of my 1/4" Craftsman router even though it did
exhibit this automatic adjustment feature, but I also finally replaced the
router because of it. You can minimize how often this occurs by keeping the
collet clean, clean the shanks of your bits with alcohol before using them
the first time, and by running a fine sandpaper around the shank from time
to time. The sandpaper will roughen up the shank surface a bit and give it
some tooth. That will help the otherwise weak collet design hold the bit
more securely. You don't need to make the shank look like a hole rasp -
just a slight abrasion is enough.

Beyond that - my only recommendation is to double check the bit height often
during the time you're using the router, and don't push it too hard. I
found that the harder I pushed the router, the more likely I was to suffer
this automatic adjustment feature.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

wrote in message
A bit worked loose out of my 1/4" router as it was going. Fortunately it
didn't fly out, but it did tear up the wood quite a bit.
Now I've clean up the router however I question the safetyness of it.
Although bits fit in the collet and seem to tighten securly is the router
safe to use after this mishap. I can see events where the bit seems secure
and goes flying out again, this time with very dramatic results and a trip
to the emergency room.

So can I use it safely or should I pitch it?
TIA
Just call me 'shorty'.

Are you using a craftsman router by chance? They have had a lot of these
types of problems. Search the archives
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ec.woodworking
using 'automatic random height adjustment' and you will get the idea.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:44:47 GMT, "
wrote:

A bit worked loose out of my 1/4" router as it was going.

Apart from the other suggestions, check that this isn't a 6mm bit.
They'll fit into a 1/4" collet, but they work loose or wobble at speed.

(I don't allow 6mm bits in the workshop - too easily confused)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I make a motion that 6mm shank router bits be marked clearly and
disposed of in shops where there are only 1/4 and 1/2" router chucks.

I have disposed of a few flea market bits and sets after getting home
and having one escape my P.C. 690 VS. I thought it was my fault, maybe
not tight enough. Then I tried to re-install the bit,after tightening,
I could turn the bit with my bare hand while holding the collet with a
wrench! I checked all of my bits with a drill gauge and threw away
anything that didn't show a full 1/4". 3 or 4 bits did not measure up.

Be careful out there,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On 8 Dec 2005 23:09:24 -0800, "tom" wrote:

Dave wrote: Gee, I've never been able to focus too well on a bit
turning 18,000 RPM.
I can't even keep my eyes focused on our ceiling fans, when they are

on "high".
That's why we were those glasses. At least our eyes will be protected.
Tom

Better put on a kevlar apron to protect your jewelery.

This was a concern when I built a router table. The front edge has a
thick maple block on the underside to catch anything that might fly
out from that direction. Of course, that protection isn't available
if it somehow flys apart and the pieces exit across the top. Again,
kevlar apron to the rescue.