Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Miter/Mitre Slot in Bandsaw Table - Why?

I know there are people with perfectly aligned bandsaw wheels,
tires set just right, guides aligned per specs and a perfect
blade with exactly the right tension. With that, the saw
MAY cut parallel to the miter slot.

I guess I'm one of the unfortunate few who seldom gets
a cut parallel to the miter slot. That's why I need a
fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

charlie b wrote:

fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

charlie b

Are you shipping the entire table with the slot?

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

charlie b said:

I know there are people with perfectly aligned bandsaw wheels,
tires set just right, guides aligned per specs and a perfect
blade with exactly the right tension. With that, the saw
MAY cut parallel to the miter slot.

I guess I'm one of the unfortunate few who seldom gets
a cut parallel to the miter slot. That's why I need a
fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

Hey, I use mine to attach circle cutting jigs and stops.
Not too much else, though.
For re-sawing thin slices, a nice 90d upright fence with a rounded
contact patch works best - held on with clamps.
The aluminum fences I've seen don't impress me much...

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

charlie b writes:
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

I use mine all the time. But then again, mostly I'm cutting sticks to
length for jigs or whatnot and I just want something (the miter guage)
to keep the mark lined up with the blade while I push it through and
stabilize the wood. Dowels and tree branches especially.

Yeah, I could freehand it, but I keep the guage right there anyway
(the table saw has an incra; the band saw has the ts's original
guage).
Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

David wrote:

Are you shipping the entire table with the slot?

I need the table to hold my shop built table.
The free miter slot deal requires that you
come and get it. I'd take it off for you but
I've got no place to put while waiting for
you to pick it up. I'm accomodating (just
mailed three bullet catch "strike plates" to
Northern Ireland. Three bucks to send 30
cents worth of stamped brass parts. But
hey, Connor's a Robland X31 owner and
we've got to stick together) but I'm not
totally crazy - close bot not crazy - yet..

BTW - did I mention that the miter/mitre
slot is a sliding dovetail? It's on a
Laguna Tools LT 16SEC - a Meber unit
with the euro-centric "differences".
Dovetailed bar stock from LT is someothing
like $12 a foot! (Probably shouldn't
have mentioned that. Now I'll never
get rid of the damned thing)

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"charlie b" wrote in message

I guess I'm one of the unfortunate few who seldom gets
a cut parallel to the miter slot. That's why I need a
fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

Give away your miter slot? Are you crazy? It is the perfect place to hold
your pencil while you are using the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ

Frank Ketchum wrote:
"charlie b" wrote in message

I guess I'm one of the unfortunate few who seldom gets
a cut parallel to the miter slot. That's why I need a
fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

Give away your miter slot? Are you crazy? It is the perfect place to hold
your pencil while you are using the saw.

Since my Rikon's table has 2 miter slots, I guess I could be a donor as
well and still have someplace to put my pencil.

Actually, I use mine more to hold drill bits rather than pencils, since
my bandsaw and drill press are side by side.

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me
Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:31:36 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Silly me, I'm going to make a serious comment on this subject...

I know there are people with perfectly aligned bandsaw wheels,
tires set just right, guides aligned per specs and a perfect
blade with exactly the right tension. With that, the saw
MAY cut parallel to the miter slot.

I guess I'm one of the unfortunate few who seldom gets
a cut parallel to the miter slot. That's why I need a
fence that can be set to the blades "lead" /"drift" angle.
Anyone need a miter slot - I'm not using the one on
my bandsaw.

Totally agree with not using the mitre guage, still have one from my
old 18" 2HP Grizzly, never used it, new owner doesn't want it.
However the slot I would keep as it may come in handy.

I find bandsaw lore to focus on blade "drift"? If you mean the angle
at which the blade wants to cut, relative to the slot or fence, then
this can be set by tracking the blade forward or backward from the
crown of the tires. So, by drift if you mean the cut is all over the
whole damn place, like my Grizzly was, probably not enough blade
tension. Spun the captured tensioning nut in that POS.

My first bandsaw was a crappy little 14" 3 wheel taiwan plastic case
w/sanding disc, did a hell of a job with my kitchen drawer dovetails,
but only when cutting to a line. Ahh, then I got my Laguna LT18, put
the first blade on, tensioned it on the crown of the wheels, cut 10"
tall, 1/8 inch slices first crack on the factory set fence. Did I say
Ahh.....

So now I want to cut up some small logs, up to 8'. Laguna came out
with their Logmaster unit, seen it at the last show, easy to make,
infeed, outfeed rollers, logs mounted very simply (I didn't care for
the sturdiness of their setup), anyways thinking about making my own.
Whatever my end result I will be using the table slot (filling the
slot with a raised bar so your jig can use a slot and not a bar, so it
has a "flat" bottom to run on roller guides). I'll need to make sure
the blade cuts relative to the slot for best results and will just
track the blade accordingly. With the Laguna ceramic guides which run
the width of the blade from gullet back, it seems easier to retrack
the blade, instead of resetting the guides anyways.

BTW - did I mention that the miter/mitre
slot is a sliding dovetail? It's on a
Laguna Tools LT 16SEC - a Meber unit
with the euro-centric "differences".
Dovetailed bar stock from LT is someothing
like $12 a foot!

BTW - You could use the same idea to make a "reverse square slot" and
only have to buy one piece of bar stock about the length of your
table.

My LT18 did not come with a mitre guage. Any crosscuts I decide to do
on the bandsaw can be done freehand.
Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.