Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default PORRINGER TABLE

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1033

I seldom eat porringer myself, I usually eat oatmeal. I didn't
know there were special tables to eat it from either. Amazing, some of
the things you learn.

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

That table on the floor has one of the ugliest tops I've ever seen. I'd
deem it unfit for eating porriger on! --dave
"J T" wrote in message
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1033

I seldom eat porringer myself, I usually eat oatmeal. I didn't
know there were special tables to eat it from either. Amazing, some of
the things you learn.

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:14:51 GMT, "Dave Jackson"
wrote:

That table on the floor has one of the ugliest tops I've ever seen. I'd
deem it unfit for eating porriger on! --dave

The table with the "ears" on the corners?

No-one really knows what they were for. Personally I support that theory
that they were for standing a candlestick on and keeping it out of your
elbows - maybe whilst playing cards.

IMHO this is the ugly one
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg....p_1875_4907685
Pointless ears that ape the shape of the orginal tables yet are far too
small to have any function at all.

If you're going to repro any of these though, do yourself a favour and
read Norm Vandal's excellent book on Queen Anne furniture first. Jeffrey
Greene's 18th century furniture book is good too.