Posted to rec.woodworking
tammiejellison

Default Router bit set help?!

Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

No. Don't use oil. When you do get them out you want them to be held tightly
in the collet. Maybe an exacto knife to open up the plastic holder. By the
way, what brand are they? JG

tammiejellison wrote:

Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"tammiejellison" wrote in message
Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out of
the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry

A penetrating oil should be fine but use just enough so that it does not
become too slippery.. I have been using WD -40 for years to help prevent
the shafts from rusting. Aslo, if you have the clearance wrap a paper towel
around the business end to protect you hand while gripping and twisting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article eGSlf.70880$Gd6.9650@pd7tw3no,
tammiejellison wrote:

Anxiously waiting to rout,

One route to routing could involve the use of a hair dryer.
It should warm up the plastic enough to become more pliable, without any
danger of compromising the hardening of the bits themselves.
Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

tammiejellison wrote:

Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry

Are you talking about plastic or the dipped protective coating? If its the
dipped coating I just use a scrap piece of wood and run the bit thru it. At
28,000 rpm it won't take much to remove it. I've never received a bit that
was coated with a hard plastic just that rubberized coating.

Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking
tammiejellison

evodawg wrote:
tammiejellison wrote:

Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry

Are you talking about plastic or the dipped protective coating? If its the
dipped coating I just use a scrap piece of wood and run the bit thru it. At
28,000 rpm it won't take much to remove it. I've never received a bit that
was coated with a hard plastic just that rubberized coating.

Rich

No, it is the plastic inserts in the wooden storage box. I've been
able to remove 1 of the 25 or so bits so far. Thanks to all for their help.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Can you remove the entire plastic insert from the storage box and then push
the bits out from the back with a dowel?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
tammiejellison

John Grossbohlin wrote:
I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Can you remove the entire plastic insert from the storage box and then push
the bits out from the back with a dowel?

John

Tried that, it worked for 1 bit, will keep trying with the others, Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

tammiejellison wrote:

Hi all,

I just purchased two new router bit sets and I cannot get the bits out
of the plastic inserts that hold them in place in the storage boxes. I
thought about using some penetrating oil but thought I should check with
you all to see if that was not so smart.

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Anxiously waiting to rout,

Larry

grab a cloth to protect your hand, or a glove, and ROCK the bits rather
than trying to rotate them. that's how I get the difficult to remove
CMT bits out of their holders.

Dave