Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris

Default DELTA X5 10" UNISAW With Biesemeyer Fence

I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this Saturday & I think
they are also offering free shipping.
So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet purchase. It comes
with a host of accessories too, mobile base, ext table.
Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table saw, anyone have
experience with these. I've read both good & bad reviews on the Amazon site,
I'm kinda on the edge & could go either way. Is there a better choice for
the money?
Appreciate any opinions that could help.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Chris wrote:

I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this Saturday & I think
they are also offering free shipping.
So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet purchase. It comes
with a host of accessories too, mobile base, ext table.
Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table saw, anyone have
experience with these. I've read both good & bad reviews on the Amazon site,
I'm kinda on the edge & could go either way. Is there a better choice for
the money?
Appreciate any opinions that could help.

Thanks,
Chris

Unless the current crop of Unisaws has taken a quality nosedive, I can't
imagine what you'd find wrong with it. It's strong, smooth, the fence
is great. I've had mine for about 4 years and have never had a moment's
trouble with it. The miter slots are dead on parallel, and the trunion
was installed and adjusted at the factory so that the blade is BALLS ON
dead parallel to the miter slots. I almost bought a PM66, but I decided
on the Unisaw after making several direct comparisons between them (side
by side, in fact) regarding the fences, etc. I was particularly put off
by the PM66 tendency to "lock up" when the blade is in the fully down
position. It sometimes took 2 hands to release the blade. I know guys
like their 66's but I just couldn't see the point in spending another
$600 to go with yellow paint. I've NEVER, ever regretted getting a
Unisaw.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
DIYGUY

If you have the money and the desire then go for it - you won't be
disappointed. The only real hard part is choosing the fence. I know
many here in the wreck luv their Beezy's, but I have the same feeling
for the Uni. One nice thing about the Uni is that there are aftermarket
fences that attach to the arm and give you a ready mount for hold-downs,
etc. Never used it for the ability to cut sheet goods with veneer faces
exposed, but that could be handy for you. Enjoy your Xmas present to
yourself ...

David wrote:

Chris wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank K.

I just checked their site and didn't see FREE shipping. It
says regular shipping + $20 for excess weight. It's a good
deal, but would be better if you can buy it at a store and
take it home. If I didn't have a Delta contractor table saw
with extras, I would drive the 60 miles to get one.

Frank

"Chris" wrote in message
I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this
Saturday & I think they are also offering free shipping.
So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet
purchase. It comes with a host of accessories too, mobile
base, ext table.
Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table
saw, anyone have experience with these. I've read both
good & bad reviews on the Amazon site, I'm kinda on the
edge & could go either way. Is there a better choice for
the money?
Appreciate any opinions that could help.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"Chris" wrote in message
I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this Saturday & I
think they are also offering free shipping.
So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet purchase. It comes
with a host of accessories too, mobile base, ext table.
Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table saw, anyone have
experience with these. I've read both good & bad reviews on the Amazon
site, I'm kinda on the edge & could go either way. Is there a better
choice for the money?
Appreciate any opinions that could help.

Thanks,
Chris

I think that it is a great saw, and that you will be happy with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Chris,
Would you be willing to give up a few things for $600? Check he
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/tab...onditioned.htm

I bought a reconditioned Unisaw a couple of years ago and couldn't be
happier. I couldn't tell the reconditioned saw from a new one. The
fence and accessories were new in the box. You will find others who
complain about things like the grind marks in the table top, or the
sharp edges on the miter slots on both new and reconditioned Unisaws.
A few minutes with some sandpaper cured all those little issues for me.
Expect a workhorse instead of a museum piece and you won't be
disappointed. All the things that matter for cutting wood have been
close enough to perfect for me.

DonkeyHody
"I'd rather expect the best of people and be wrong than expect the
worst and be right."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:46:50 -0500, Chris wrote:
I see Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on this saw this Saturday & I think
they are also offering free shipping.
So free shipping , 10% off & no tax as it's an internet purchase. It comes
with a host of accessories too, mobile base, ext table.
Seems like a good deal, $1778. I want to get a good table saw, anyone have
experience with these. I've read both good & bad reviews on the Amazon site,
I'm kinda on the edge & could go either way. Is there a better choice for
the money?
Appreciate any opinions that could help.

You'll get 10% off some imaginary price. I'm looking at the 17-990x drill
press, which "normally" sells at Woodcraft for $849. The "10% off" price is
$809. Must be some new math I never learned. Maybe $899 is MSRP or something.

Shipping will cost you $20 for the heavy item. The little stuff is indeed
free.

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse (remove this) DOT net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger King

I have had a Unisaw for over 15 years. (same one)! To date I've had to
replace the motor once, and tune it up. If I was to find any fault with it,
it would be the sawdust collection. In mine, the motor cover is open on the
inside and collects a lot of sawdust. It is rather a hassle to clean out,
and I have a dust collector attached to it. The PM has a better dust chute
IMHO. However, that said, I'm more than completely satisfied with it and I
work the H--- out of it.