Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Default Elephant Bandsaw

Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and
couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed it
up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bill Hall" wrote in message
Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and
couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed
it up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

One of the earliest 14" clones. Only one I ever saw was down for parts, but
I was not impressed. The finish was so poor , and that included some
blue-painted mold sand in places, that it was contraindicated for people
with clotting disorders.

Woodworkers Warehouse sold it, as far as I know.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 03:32:08 GMT, "Bill Hall" wrote:

Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and
couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed it
up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

I bought the Rigid BS1400 last year.. basic 3/4 hp 14" saw...

I was told (in this ng) that it was made my Elephant (though I think the
spelling might have differed?) as was the Grizzly...

I opted for the Griz riser kit as it was less expensive, and it fit fine..

For the $350 I paid for it, it seems to do everything that I need... tracks
well, lines up and seems to stay in alignment, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

IIRC, an elephant logo is the trademark of Rexon, which is one of the
big Taiwan manufacturers of machinery sold under many brand names. I
suspect the "Elephant" brand is some long-gone vendor's private label.
Or maybe the seller was just calling it "Elephant" because of the logo.

In any case, it's got to be some variant on the ubiquitous, generic,
import 14" saw. Depending on condition, $150 *might* have been an OK
deal, but don't kick yourself for passing on it. For comparison, you
can get the equivalent machine brand new from Harbor Freight for $260
on sale. Dig up a 20% coupon, and that gets down to $208.

Bill Hall wrote:
Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and
couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed it
up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Hall

Thanks to all for the replies on the "Elephant" :). Was a little fearful of
the unknown! Guess I will look into the HF model. A Storefront close by here
in Plano (TX). Now try to look into the 20% coupon. New one on me.

"Bill Hall" wrote in message
Anyone know any words of wisdom on an "Elephant" bandsaw. Did a GS and
couldn't find a thing. Had the chance to buy a 14" for $150.00 and passed
it up due to lack of info. Did I goof?

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:51:59 GMT, "noonenparticular"
wrote:

Why the heck would you want to resaw an elephant????

really confused,

jc

Because you didn't saw it right the first time?