Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Default I finally got a cabinet saw!

I fnally got down to Grizzly and purchased a 10 inch left tilt cabinet
saw (early Christmas). Wow, what a difference from my contractor saw!
Of course, there were some bad unanticipated (sometimes maddening)
differences too.....

Measurement from front to back is about 1/4 inch smaller so I had to
"trim" my entension table. It's 3 1/2 inches shorter so all my
extension and outfeed table legs had to be cut down to size. Because
of this lack of height, wide plywood to the left of the saw blade will
now hit the jointer fence. Practically none of the holes from my
Beismeyer 50 inch fence lined up so I had to drill many new holes.
Holes on the back of the saw were darn near impossible as there isn't
any room to get your hands in there to secure a nut. I tried drilling
and tapping a couple of holes but I couldn't tap the cast iron. I must
have been doing something wrong and I think I ruined the tap. I did
get the back rail mounted but it was with great effort.

The good news is....

I put new melamine on the side and outfeed tables and boy is that an
improvement over the plywood I had before. The fence doesn't "bump"
over any openings in the table wing, it's solid now. The blade height
locks! No more hanging clamps from the hand wheels. The dust
collection really works!

Now all I need to do is start cutting. Entertainment center here I
come.

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

DamnYankee wrote:
It's 3 1/2 inches shorter so all my
extension and outfeed table legs had to be cut down to size. Because
of this lack of height, wide plywood to the left of the saw blade will
now hit the jointer fence.

Wouldn't it have been easier to put the saw on a platform of some kind?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Left tilt?? (just kidding) Congratulations! Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"DamnYankee" wrote in message
oups.com...
I fnally got down to Grizzly and purchased a 10 inch left tilt cabinet
saw (early Christmas). Wow, what a difference from my contractor saw!
Of course, there were some bad unanticipated (sometimes maddening)
differences too.....
Bryan

I assume you went with the 1023SL? I've got that saw and have found it to
be a great saw (and at a reasonable price).
Have fun with it!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Redd

Bryan;
I got the same saw last summer, it's great. Much better than my old
contractor saw could have ever hoped to be. I put a Woodworker II
blade on it and I would put it up against any Unisaw for twice the
price. The fence was a Shop Fox which is a Beismeyer clone and works
great. I'm well satisfied.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Yes, it's the 1023SL. I'm the kid with the new bike! :-)

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

I thought about that and then decided that I'd lose a little stability.
Cutting the legs wasn't too much of a problem, they were wood, and I
really don't cut wide stuff *that* often so the jointer isn't too big
of a problem either. Actually, I think I'm going to like the lower
working height.

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Now that you mention it.... :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

I've been wanting a cabinet saw for a long time so I'm really looking
forward to this saw. This came with the 26 inch Shop Fox but my
Beismeyer is a 50 inch so I opted to put that on it. Didn't see any
reason to spend the extra money for something I already had. Somebody
local to me will get a great deal on the Shop Fox fence! :-)

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

How do other lurkers know WHAT you're responding to?!

On 7 Dec 2005 04:14:22 -0800, "DamnYankee"

Now that you mention it.... :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
nospambob wrote:
How do other lurkers know WHAT you're responding to?!

After you've been here a while, one _does_ learn to read minds.

It's not all that difficult, we are all inhabiting the same gutter.

grin