Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

Default Adding Caster wheels to Table Saw?

Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

What I did, and you can commonly find this approach by many a woodworker, is
to bolt a set of small wheels on the rear legs. Not underneath the legs
such that the saw stands on them, but up the rear side of the legs.
Position them so that when the saw is resting on the floor the wheels are
just touching, or maybe even just slightly off the floor. Perhaps 1/8"
would be sufficient. Now you can lift the front of the saw (fab a
convenient handle that will hide away if you so desire) and the wheels will
contact the floor. Mine is built so that I can kick down a second set of
wheels under the front and I don't have to "carry" the front of the saw as I
move it. The point is that with the front of the saw lifted only a small
amount, the wheels on the rear engage the floor and moving it around is a
breeze. Stick with stationary wheel - don't get the swivel casters. Easy
in, easy out of the saw's normal storage area. The saw will sit on its legs
normally when you're using it and will be solid.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brad Curfman

bdeditch wrote:
Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

You should be more worried about injuring your back from lifting/moving
your tablesaw around.

If you add casters, you will want them to lock, but you still might get
some wiggle on your table if they all are locked. Anything that rests
only on casters is not stable enough for my liking, although I've never
used anything weighing 300lb+ on casters.

I bought the Ridgid table saw with their Herculift system and it is very
stable when in the locked position. But that is because the legs of the
tablesaw are contacting the ground in the locked position. This really
helps out as locked wheels can spin.

You might want to look at getting a mobile base such as the HTC 2000 (
check Amazon ). I have one for my bandsaw and another for my jointer.
They are pretty stable when locked, but if you push them hard enough
they will wobble slightly. I've never made a cutting mistake while using
either tool on the mobile base, and I still have 10 fingers which is
probably the most important point to make.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Grizzly carries ShopFox mobile bases that are, in my opinion, worth the
money ... sturdy, mobile when you want them to be, stationary when you
want them to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

I did with mine since my shop is small and I often have to move things
about in order to use them. I made an oak frame from old pallets and
mounted the Harbor Freight wheels to it. Did the same for my jointer.
Works like a champ!
John

bdeditch wrote:
Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I have the HTC2000 mobile base for my bandsaw ($49 from Amazon with
free shipping) - I just put it together, and it seems to work great so
far. For my bench drill press, I found (on ebay) casters that lock
both the swivel and the wheel rotation, and mounted those under a
cabinet to make a rolling tool cabinet/drill press base.
Both systems are fairly new but work well so far, and are lots easier
than trying to slide the tools around.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

I did notice some rollers this morning at HD that are made to replace
the ones for a rigid table saw. Thats for all the advise, I think I
will have to try build something to set it on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

I have the same saw. Mine is mounted on a Shop Fox mobile base. I have a
couple of other tools on HTC bases and they work fine as well. By they time
you buy 4 suitably hefty casters (2 of them of the locking variety) and dick
around with mounting them, you might as well just spend the $50-70 on a good
mobile base which has been engineered for this purpose.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

All my tools are on mobil bases because I only have enough room to have one
tool out at a time; well, two, the TS is semi-permanent.
I have Craftsman bolt on wheels on a RAS base. They are difficult to use.
I have two sets of HTC. They are easy to adjust, but difficult to move
anything on.
I have a Rigid under my TS. It is pretty good but I haven't seen it for
sale; it came with my used saw.
The best is on my Performax drum sander. I bought a set of locking wheels
from Rockler for $30 and they fit in the legs. Easy to use and easy to
move.
If I need another mobil base I will definitely use the locking wheels;
though they probably will have to go on a wood frame. They claim to hold 150
pound each (or something like that) and look like they ought to be able to
do it.

No, the HTC is best; want to buy two sets lightly used?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Koester

Default Semi-OT: Adding Caster wheels to Table Saw?

"bdeditch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is a person able to just add locking caster wheels to a heavy Table saw
instead of buying a lift plate for one? I just purchased a Craftsman
22104 and the weight of 300 lbs makes it a bit hard to just push into
the corner when I am done. I was just thinking of purchasing 4 good
size rubber wheel casters and bolting them on each leg. I trust the
judgement of the more experienced woodworkers out in this group. This
is my first major Table saw purchase and don't want to wreck it by
pushing it with force.

It might not need to much "locking".

I once asked an old (or rather, experienced) Unisaw owner about how I
ought to secure my contractor's saw + mobile base combo, as I was
afeard' of it rolling around while cutting. He had an interesting response:

"If it moves pushing a board through a cut, then the blade isn't sharp enough."

I found that a little wake-up to a different point of view.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Walt Cheever

FWIW--

I have an OLD craftsman on an extended table with the drawers full of iron
stuff for other tools. Whole thing weighs around 250#. I put it on 6
swivel casters (no locks) with the intention of putting wedges under the
edges to hold it in place.

Never needed the wedges. I have to get a good hold and yank to get that
sucker moving. As someone else said, if the saw moves when you are pushing
a board through it--you better check your blades sharps."

Walt C

oups.com...