Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Default INSPIRATION - Chickey Coop

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/chicken-coop.php

JOAT
A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the
weekends.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken

J T wrote:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/chicken-coop.php

I just finished reading another thread on this group where one of those
classic wreck arguments was going on. This one centered on whether
1/64" was "close enough" when dealing with wood. The perfectionists
describing 1/64th as a canyon and the pragmatists countering. Well I
think you have directed us to one project here where 1/64th is adequate
accuracy.

After just reading that post yours brought a smile to my face. Thanks.

Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

J T said:

Sun, Dec 4, 2005, 7:06pm (EST-3) (Ken) doth sayeth:
snip centered on whether 1/64" was "close enough" when dealing with
wood. The perfectionists describing 1/64th as a canyon and the
pragmatists countering. snip

Which is why I stayed out of that particular conversation... g

Wood moves. Metal doesn't. The realists know that wood can
sometimes expand or contract 1/64", or more, the idiots ignore that
fact. I don't think I can even measure wood that close, let alone cut
it that close.

Come on, now, JOAT. You had me until you said idiots...

Metal DOES expand and contract, just as wood does, just not from
moisture - it rusts instead. g

Everything is a set of compromises - and some applications simply
don't demand the precision some people are eluding to.
But some applications might - like this:

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/SegmentSolid02.jpg

When cutting these segments, an error equivalent to thickness of a
piece of card stock paper will cause a cumulative error that makes
this segmented ring impossible to realize. I work with tolerances
greater than .01" when doing this.

Does it matter on a table or a bed? Nope.

Does it matter on this?:
http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/SegmentedBowl1.jpg

Yes, it does.

Wood does expand and contract, but it does so in concert - all pieces
generally doing about the same bit of movement. If you're really
good, it all stays together over time. If you're not - you have a
pile of fire starter kindling. g

JMHO,

Greg G.

Window and door trim - Looking for INSPIRATION Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 November 8th 05 05:44 AM
INSPIRATION - COFFEE TABLE J T Woodworking 2 July 30th 05 10:35 PM
Chicken coop Alain Hermans Woodworking 4 March 30th 05 01:01 AM
Perhaps seperate group for INSPIRATION posts. [email protected] Woodworking 69 January 22nd 05 09:14 PM
dog coop future fireplace ryan Home Ownership 0 August 25th 04 06:35 PM