Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeG

Default semi OT - Help with an ethical problem

Hi all,

Over the Thanksgiving holiday my MIL asked what she might get me for
Christmas. I pointed her to the Lee Valley website and supplied a list of
items I would be interested in. (given her financial limit). Well, today a
Fedex truck dropped off a nice sealed Lee Valley box, that is currently
sitting on the kitchen counter. SWMBO insists I not open it until
Christmas....I cannot stand it. I mean its just sitting there... looking
pretty... and beckoning me to open and caress whatever is inside. I can
almost hear it whisper my name...calling to me...

I need help coming up with a viable reason to open the box NOW. (I may also
need help with my tool addiction).

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to insure
nothing is broken.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

PS. yes I know I have a wonderful mother-in-law

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:43:32 GMT, MikeG wrote:
Hi all,

I need help coming up with a viable reason to open the box NOW. (I may also
need help with my tool addiction).

You need to inspect for concealed damage. Wait too long, and UPS won't
reimburse. You have no other choice.

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to insure
nothing is broken.

See?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Does "you suck" qualify as a suggestion in this context?

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

MikeG wrote:
[...]

What's your full email address. I will send you my shipping address
soonest. Ship to me rush! I will keep it safe until I believe that you
have the moral strength to own it.

:-)

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"MikeG" wrote in message news:UQ_jf.11791
I need help coming up with a viable reason to open the box NOW. (I may

also
need help with my tool addiction).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

A goodly portion of my Christmas hours as a kid was spent opening my
Christmas presents to see what I had and then wrapping them up again so no
one could tell. That's *how* you can do it although I'm guessing you're
looking for some rationalization to open it.

Any chance you or your wife has set up an online account on the LV website?
You can go there and look at account information and see a listing of
everything bought either at the store or online just as long as you've used
your LV customer number when making those purchases.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

MikeG wrote:

[...]

Send SWMBO to the mall and then slit the bottom of the package, remove
and inspect the contents. Repack and retape the bottom of the package.
Now you'll sleep at night (unless the guilt gets to you!).

I have to restrain myself from looking in the closet of a spare bedroom
where I know a package was placed by SWMBO yesterday moments after UPS
dropped off a gift for me. I struggled to not look out the window to
check out the size of the box as the UPS guy approached the house. I
wanted to look for the tell-tale LV package tape...there must be a 12
step program for us.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"MikeG" wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to insure
nothing is broken.

Absolutely. You did hear the rumor that they changed their return
policy to ten days, including items damaged in shipping or packed
incorrectly, didn't you? They are notifying customers of the new
policy with package inserts. Better check yours out quickly!

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

MikeG wrote:
[...]

When I worked in the ER, I have been known to take a package down and
have it x-rayed.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Got kleptomania?? Take something for it!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:36:46 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:
MikeG wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to insure
nothing is broken.

When I worked in the ER, I have been known to take a package down and
have it x-rayed.

For the record, you can see through a surprising array of objects with a
nuclear imaging detector. Never did muster the courage/idiocy to see if
scratch-off lottery tickets would work, though, because we were pretty
sure that just trying it would be illegal somehow.

An "empty" milk jug from the sump crock, in a radon-prone area,
positively glows on a gamma camera. Um, so I've heard.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Gerald Ross wrote:

When I worked in the ER, I have been known to take a package down and
have it x-rayed.

How COULD you????? Hath thou no pathience?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .net,
"MikeG" wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to insure
nothing is broken.

*wags finger*..no no no no nooooo!!! We had this discussion about shipping
cartons. All will be fine. Have SWMBO inspect for shipping
damage...errrrmm...AFTER she ties you up....then...who knows?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

MikeG (in . net) said:

| Over the Thanksgiving holiday my MIL asked what she might get me for
| Christmas. I pointed her to the Lee Valley website and supplied a
| list of items I would be interested in. (given her financial
| limit). Well, today a Fedex truck dropped off a nice sealed Lee
| Valley box, that is currently sitting on the kitchen counter.
| SWMBO insists I not open it until Christmas....I cannot stand it.

You identified the issue in the subject line - whether or not to honor
the wishes of the person who cared enough to spend on stuff you really
wanted. 's pretty much up to you. Think of it as a test.

BTW, you suck!

Have a happy Christmas!

[ And if you're /really/ concerned, send the package to me and I'll
inspect for damage :-]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

Oh, on of those unethical ethical question :-)
Let slip what you got her, then point out to her that she's pretty much
forced by her innate sense of justice to tell you what's in the box.
Or maybe claim that you heard scratching coming from within the box and
had to open it in case there was a cute little moose trapped in there,
which you hear happens all too frequently with Canadian products.
Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeG

"Gordon Airporte" wrote in message
Oh, on of those unethical ethical question :-)
Let slip what you got her, then point out to her that she's pretty much
forced by her innate sense of justice to tell you what's in the box.
Or maybe claim that you heard scratching coming from within the box and
had to open it in case there was a cute little moose trapped in there,
which you hear happens all too frequently with Canadian products.

Might be able to use the scratching idea, but her present, is a corner
cabinet I'm building to her size specs, so she already knows what her gift
is.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
Ba r r y wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:00:27 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

How COULD you????? Hath thou no pathience?

My patience is so bad, I already gave my wife HER Christmas present,
'cause I can't keep a secret.

*I* can keep a secret. I never told a soul about Larry and that
goat-thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking
New Wave Dave

"MikeG" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Might be able to use the scratching idea, but her present, is a
corner cabinet I'm building to her size specs, so she already knows
what her gift is.

I think you just might need what's in that package to finish the
wife's corner cabinet x-mas present!

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

MikeG wrote:
[...]

My suggestion ---------- we trade MILs.

;-)
Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"MikeG" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi all,

Over the Thanksgiving holiday my MIL asked what she might get me for
Christmas. I pointed her to the Lee Valley website and supplied a list of
items I would be interested in. (given her financial limit). Well, today

Fedex truck dropped off a nice sealed Lee Valley box, that is currently
sitting on the kitchen counter. SWMBO insists I not open it until
Christmas....I cannot stand it. I mean its just sitting there... looking
pretty... and beckoning me to open and caress whatever is inside. I can
almost hear it whisper my name...calling to me...

I need help coming up with a viable reason to open the box NOW. (I may

also
need help with my tool addiction).

The only thing I can think of is that I must open the package just to

insure
nothing is broken.

Hmmmmm.... I think this one should be archived for the next time a thread
pops up on "instant gratification".

Suffer it my boy, suffer it. There's just nothing like the feeling of
Christmas morning and you finally get to open that package that's been
waiting for you for 3 weeks. Your imagination has invoked every conceivable
image of what it could be, and you've exhausted yourself trying to remember
all the hints that you dropped about what you "really need". Finally,
you're convinced that it "must" be that one thing that you've really dropped
the hints about - it has to be. Ahhhh... then comes the child like thrill
of Christmas morning and you can finally immerse yourself in the long
awaited excitement of tearing it open, only to discover it's none of the
things you've hinted about. Alas before you can even realize what's
happening you hear "what the hell's this???" slip out of your very lips.

Maybe you better open it now - just to keep peace in the family of course.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:43:32 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi all,

Over the Thanksgiving holiday my MIL asked what she might get me for

Give me your address. I'll be right over to guard that box for you
and if you come too close to it, I promise not to smack you too hard.

And tell you wife I love her and that she should come to my place -
bring the box.

Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeG

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:43:32 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi all,

Over the Thanksgiving holiday my MIL asked what she might get me for

Give me your address. I'll be right over to guard that box for you
and if you come too close to it, I promise not to smack you too hard.

And tell you wife I love her and that she should come to my place -
bring the box.

Pete

I would like to thank all who offered suggestions, but the pretty and
alluring Lee Valley carton has magically been replaced by a plain brown box
containing a 4 foot section of track lighting. I think I can be strong
enough to not go looking for it so, sad as that may be. I'll just wait
until Christmas and pass some of the time installing track lights over the
peninsula in the kitchen......... right over the counter previously occupied
by the now hidden LV container...hmmm maybe this won't be as easy as I
thought.

Anyway...I hope that all of you have a wonderful Christmas, now back to
lurking...
MikeG