Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding Sealer Dries Instantly

In an effort to get a perfectly smooth painted (latex) finish on a
door, I applied a water-based sanding sealer (Olympic) prior to
painting. The stuff dried within seconds of being applied, at least
enough to prevent it from leveling. Trying to sand it level brought me
back to bare wood on most of the door.

Multiple coats did result in a beautifully smooth finish on most of the
door, but there were still some ripples and rough areas that seemed to
emanate from the very first coat.

After sanding back to bare wood, I'm reluctant to try this stuff again,
but I'm thinking it would level quite a bit better if I could slow the
dry time. Will Floetrol help?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...
In an effort to get a perfectly smooth painted (latex) finish on a
door, I applied a water-based sanding sealer (Olympic) prior to
painting. The stuff dried within seconds of being applied, at least
enough to prevent it from leveling. Trying to sand it level brought me
back to bare wood on most of the door.

Multiple coats did result in a beautifully smooth finish on most of the
door, but there were still some ripples and rough areas that seemed to
emanate from the very first coat.

After sanding back to bare wood, I'm reluctant to try this stuff again,
but I'm thinking it would level quite a bit better if I could slow the
dry time. Will Floetrol help?

Thanks for any thoughts.

mix it with a retarder, most sealers have thinners and retarders ,the latter
to extend the drying times

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Why'd you apply the sanding sealer? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

mix it with a retarder, most sealers have thinners and retarders ,the
latter to extend the drying times

I see nothing on the Olympic web page about the availability of a
retarder. I'll ask at Lowes. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why'd you apply the sanding sealer? Tom

As I applied multiple coats of my top coat to hide the wood grain, the
surface displayed more and more orange peel, in spite of sanding
between coats. Since latex doesn't sand well, I was hoping this might
offer a solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use BIN (pigmented) or Seal Coat (clear) under just about anything,
including latex.

I'll take a closer look at these. I like the idea of a silver bullet.
:-)

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So when/if you get a perfectly smooth surface, how are you going to
get
ugh latex on perfectly smooth? Not with a brush or roller, probably
not sprayed either.

Well, I had hopes. :-) Lots of articles in the archives where people
promised that using the foam rollers would provide a glass-like finish.
I'm beginning to think that must only be true with oil paint.

Actually, my first coat is pretty darn smooth, just too thin. After a
couple of coats, it's no longer smooth.

I have one place on my wall where I applied a skim coat of joint
compound and the paint is very smooth, so it seemed plausible that the
smoother the original surface, the more likely the paint would be
smooth. However, it may be true that a coat of latex paint doesn't
provide the ideal surface for another coat to level.

If these experiments convert me to oil paint for some applications,
then at least I'll go into it knowing where the real limits of latex
are.

Posted to rec.woodworking

n addition, yer younglings will bang that perfect surface up soon
enough.

No younglings! :-)

Get it on some horses.

Been on horses for about two weeks. sigh

Priming is a must for fresh wood.

It was actually stained, but didn't seem to have any finish on it.
Regardless, I used Zinser's BullsEye 123.

I will try your suggestions. I had not used greater than 220 on the
sanding, but I did have Floetrol added to the primer and topcoat.

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:01:18 -0800, gesres wrote:

I use BIN (pigmented) or Seal Coat (clear) under just about anything,
including latex.

I'll take a closer look at these. I like the idea of a silver bullet.
:-)

I haven't used the BIN, but I too swear by Sealcoat. I even use it as my
shellac finish. Takes a few more coats since it's a one pound mix, but
goes on flatter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

Have read that Zinsser doesn't recommend Seal Coat as top coat/final
finish. Have NOT read why not.

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:51:26 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:01:18 -0800, gesres wrote:

I use BIN (pigmented) or Seal Coat (clear) under just about anything,
including latex.

I'll take a closer look at these. I like the idea of a silver bullet.
:-)

I haven't used the BIN, but I too swear by Sealcoat. I even use it as my
shellac finish. Takes a few more coats since it's a one pound mix, but
goes on flatter.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

FWIW . . .

I grew up with oil fired 'Hot Water Radiator' heating. We were ALWAYS doing
something to the house and basement was storage/shop/playroom,etc. There
were no 'water based' finishes.

'Fast Forward' about 30 years. A few years after I got married we bought a
house . . . with 'Gas Fired Hot Air' heating, etc. Needless to say . . . my
'skills' were to be applied. When I used the OIL based finishes I was
familiar with, the entire house developed a subtle, odd odor. My wife, the
chemist identified it . . . "burned hydrocarbons". From the few molecules
that got into the air and came in contact with the tiny 'pilot lights' in
the rangetop and water heater!! So began my research into 'Water-Based, 100%
Acrylic, . . . etc' finishes. And a frustrating time it has been !!

My last 'adventure' was finishing a wooden replica of a 17th Centry ships
anchor. It took about 3 months and about 12 coats of grey primer and black
finish coat. The basic problem was that when I did the 'between coats'
sanding . . . the 'coat' would peel off !! Even after 72 hours of 'drying'
in a 'room temp' environment. {and with different concentrations of
Flotrol}. I finally called the paint manufacturer . . . and pushed through
untill I got directly to the Technical Lab.

It turns out that the 'Acrylics' need a LONG 'cure time' . . . 14 DAYS {or
longer, depending on the temperature & humidity of the environment}!! This
is similar to the epoxy I work with - but they only need about 72hrs for a
'working cure'.

In your case I would do a few experiments. Take a piece of '1x6' paint it
one side with the primer. Then {starting at 3 days} sand a 6 to 8inch
section, then sand another section the next day, etc., etc., untill the
board is 'filled'. Then put on a topcoat and repeat. To be exact . . .
follow whatever sequence you on your door, etc. While this may take time,
you will then KNOW, EXACTLY what WORKS for YOU. Take notes, and you will be
able to repaat the results . . . every time. Even though you may find
variations . . . in you change brands, if the manufacturer changes
formulations, etc. . . . you'll know WHERE to start for that specific
combination.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

{PS: Get used to it . . . petroleium-based finishes are getting slowey
pushed or legislated out of the market}

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In your case I would do a few experiments.

Ron, I like your approach. Acquiring first-hand knowledge is always
better than just doing something you read about somewhere.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sanding and finishing Walnut. Keith Woodworking 10 November 18th 05 09:52 AM
Finishing / sanding sealer question Dave Woodworking 2 November 15th 05 04:21 PM
How many coats of primer on pre-stained oak? wendi Home Repair 26 June 13th 04 04:02 PM
Q Re Sanding Sealer Oscar Woodworking 4 April 13th 04 10:06 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM