Posted to rec.woodworking
SteveB

Default router table

Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, and I was wondering what kind of router
table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250. I was
surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a year,
what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

SteveB wrote:
Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, and I was wondering what kind of router
table to get.

Someplace I still have that die cast Craftsman router table made by a
former customer, Lester Industries, Solon, Ohio.

Screwed around with it for years before I got smart and built the New
Yankee Workshop unit.

Great project, modest skill level required, modest cost involved.

The only change I would make is to use 13 ply Appleply rather than A/C
plywood.

If you decide to build it, have fun.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

If you are going to buy a table either buy a really good one (I have not
seen a good one at Sears...) or buy a really cheap one. With the cheap one
you can build your own next year and not feel too bad about it.

I bought a Sears table for $80 and sold it a year later (keeping the router
bits that came with it) for $75. That is probably unusual; plan on tossing
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Build your own. (warning - this gets long- sorry) I didn't get nearly
as fancy as Norm's NYW kit - I started with a chunk of used countertop,
plenty of gorilla glue, MDF and hardboard leftovers for the fence, and
2x4s for the legs. The only things I actually bought were aluminum
miter track, cam levers, a dust port, and a few screws and bolts.
Total cost maybe $20? And it's solid - definitely not the professional
quality you'd get if you paid $250 or more, but it's square and doesn't
vibrate at all. Far better than the little $50 cast aluminum things
from Sears or whatever. My attempt at ASCII art is below (not to
scale), as well as an attempt at written instructions. Hard to explain
in words, but not very complicated - google homemade router table and
you'll get plenty of pictures.
I started by cutting a roughly 20x30" piece of countertop, flipped it
over and routed a round 6" diameter, .25-.5" deep hole for the router
base to sit in, and drilled a 1.5" hole in the middle for the bit to
protrude through. If you want to save some work and have a stiffer
surface, you can get a thick rectangular aluminum or phenolic plate to
set into your own tabletop.
Flipped it back over, and drilled countersunk holes for the screws to
attach the router base to the table top. (In effect, the chunk of
counter became a huge sub-base). Then I routed a "horizontal" groove
for a miter slot in front of the hole. For the fence, I used leftover
hardboard and MDF, with triangle supports, being carefully to glue and
clamp them square. I routed parallel "vertical" slots behind the hole
so bolts could go through the fence base through the countertop, and
got cam levers from Rockler so fence adjustments are easier. Cut a
hole in the fence and attached the dust port behind it - works like a
charm with my shop vac. For the legs, I used 2x4s with diagonal
supports, and more 2x4 chunks such that it clamps into my Workmate. I
waxed the top of the table and front of the fence. I also added
removable face pieces to the fence, with the left-hand piece about
1/32" thicker than the right, so I can use it as a jointer for thin
stock with a straight bit.
Hope this helps, and have fun routing,
Andy

_______________
| | | |
| | o | |
|=============|
|_____________|

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Andy wrote:
Build your own. (warning - this gets long- sorry) I didn't get nearly
as fancy as Norm's NYW kit -

Lots of us have even built our tables in stages.

First comes a top and fence, usually in response to a specific need.
This can be used on top of a Workmate, or hung between tablesaw rails.

Later on, as time permits and you get sick of sweeping up chips, a
better base, shelves, drawers, etc... can be built.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

Save yourself some time and money.
I was all ready to build Norm's table when I saw an episode of The Router
Workshop ( http://www.routerworkshop.com/epage.html )
I couldn't believe how simple yet productive this system is.
You can buy a table insert from any supplier and built the table for under
$50.
I am very happy with my set up.

"SteveB" wrote in message
Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, an I was wondering what kind of router
table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250. I was
surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy

"SteveB" wrote in

Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, and I was wondering what kind of
router table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to
$250. I was surprised that there were so many, and that they went
that high in price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

As everyone else has said, building your own is a better plan.
It's cheaper, and gives you some practice using the router as
you go.

Don't get too hung up on needing a fancy fence, by the way. I've
been using a straight 8/4 board & C-clamps for years; one of these
days I'll get around to building a proper fence.

Bill Hylton's book "Woodworking with the Router" has some good
plans (and is a very good book, besides). Or you could post a
request here to JOAT, asking for some plans.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick

I went to that site but found nothing about building a router table?
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at

"SteveB" wrote in message
Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, an I was wondering what kind of
router table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250.
I was surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in
price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Dick" wrote in message
I went to that site but found nothing about building a router table?

If you just want some ideas, you need to follow the oak park link at the
bottom.
http://ca.oak-park.com/catalogue.htm...ref=cdn12.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

"Dick" wrote in message
I went to that site but found nothing about building a router table?
Dick

It is probably in one of the plan packages. That is a very nifty table.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Jim
wrote:

It is probably in one of the plan packages. That is a very nifty table.

I've seen their demos at the WW show here. It is a very slick table and
system.

Bit pricey for my wallet, though, so I bough the Lee Valley insert and
built a table and fence.

djb
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"Upscale" writes:

"Dick" wrote in message
I went to that site but found nothing about building a router table?

If you just want some ideas, you need to follow the oak park link at the
bottom.
http://ca.oak-park.com/catalogue.htm...ref=cdn12.html

I went there, but the cheapest kit was $134

Was this the kit that Tom H says:

You can buy a table insert from any supplier and built the table for under
$50.

So we are talking about $184 plus the wood and labor?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Bruce Barnett
wrote:

You can buy a table insert from any supplier and built the table for under
$50.

So we are talking about $184 plus the wood and labor?

I bought an old desk extension for $1, and the Lee Valley insert for
$39.50. $40.50 (Canadian) plus labor. I spent maybe $20 building my
fence.

djb
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom H

Steve,
J T is correct, You can build the table out of stuff around the shop.

The one from the Router Workshop is simply a plywood box with one side open
and a 3/4" plywood top covered with formica.

Here is a link to pictures of the one I built into the extension on my table
saw.
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/thu...hp?album=20309

The router plate insert is from Woodpeckers the rest was wood around the
shop and a piece of white formica.

"SteveB" wrote in message
Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, and I was wondering what kind of
router table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250.
I was surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in
price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

SteveB said:

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a year,
what are some suggestions?

Steve,

Build your own. it's good practice. Really...

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/RouterCabinet1l.jpg

Built from scraps and a Rockler insert and tracks - half price sale.
Got the solid brass knobs for $ .50 on closeout.
The power switch is a homemade unit hidden in the top right drawer.
Pull the knob to turn it on, push it in to turn it off - 20A @125vAC.

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/RouterCabinet2l.jpg

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/RouterCabinet3l.jpg

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/RouterCabinet4l.jpg

http://www.thevideodoc.com/Images/RouterCabinet5l.jpg

There's a removable flex-arm lamp mounted on the fence for close-up
work. The fence adjusts with 1/32" per rev of the rear center knob.
Sliding, removable faces on the fence. Built in dust collection for
cabinet and fence - vents from _either_ side of the cabinet. Storage
drawers for plunge bases, accessories, bits, 'n other such stuff...
Built in collapsible casters, and the top is 1.5" thick MDF,
absolutely flat and level, edge banded and laminated.
20 amp outlet and 10 foot 12 gauge power cord with a cord hook.
Steel handles to roll it around with.

Works Great.

Plans? We don't need no steenkin' plans...
You're looking at 'em. g

If I had it to do over again, I would use a Mast-R-Lift and a better
router, instead of the toy-like PC 892. Perhaps someday...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tom H
wrote:

The one from the Router Workshop is simply a plywood box with one side open
and a 3/4" plywood top covered with formica.

Here is a link to pictures of the one I built into the extension on my table
saw.
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/thu...hp?album=20309

The router plate insert is from Woodpeckers the rest was wood around the
shop and a piece of white formica.

Here's a bad shot of my $1 table with the LV insert.

http://www.balderstone.ca/router_table.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The fanciest router tables you will ever see are in home shops. The norm in
commercial shops is a board with a router screwed to it. Two clamps and a
2x4 for a fence.

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

And it's solid - definitely not the professional
quality

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Yes, works great. Just don't buy the table from them. $300.00 for a plywood
box is a little steep.

"SteveB" wrote in message
Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, an I was wondering what kind of

router
table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250. I

was
surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in

price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Along the same line, a shop that I worked in some years ago had a rather
large router table. It was made from a standard military type metal desk
with a hole cut in it and a router screwed to it. No need to get fancier
than that.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Tom H
wrote:

The one from the Router Workshop is simply a plywood box with one side

open
and a 3/4" plywood top covered with formica.

Here is a link to pictures of the one I built into the extension on my

table
saw.
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/thu...hp?album=20309

The router plate insert is from Woodpeckers the rest was wood around the
shop and a piece of white formica.

Here's a bad shot of my $1 table with the LV insert.

http://www.balderstone.ca/router_table.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

CW said:

The fanciest router tables you will ever see are in home shops. The norm in
commercial shops is a board with a router screwed to it. Two clamps and a
2x4 for a fence.

Yeahbut, Home Shops are usually crammed into some wretched corner of
the house - where mobility, storage and dust collection factors rear
their ugly heads.

But by the same token, I used a 1" thick piece of particle board set
across an opened bench-end vise for quite a while. It worked well
enough to allow me to determine my own personal needs. I don't regret
the decision to build a better table. See my earlier post of DIY
pictures in this thread. I would NOT, however, spend a bunch of money
of a commercial router table - they are usually compromised.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:55:55 -0800, SteveB wrote:

Fairly newbie has Craftsman router, and I was wondering what kind of
router table to get. I went to Sears, and they have them for up to $250.
I was surprised that there were so many, and that they went that high in
price.

To do basic starter work, and to buy a table that I won't outgrow in a
year, what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

If you just want to get up and running, Harbor Freight recently
started carrying a table / router combination.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...621&pricetype=

I've seen it in the store. It looka like a very nice table at a decent
price point.

Bill

Router Table Connor T UK diy 3 September 8th 05 09:34 AM
router for a Porter-Cable router table? Dave Gower Home Repair 8 March 2nd 05 05:55 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Router Table vs Router Table extension on Table Saw Davemac Woodworking 9 February 3rd 04 06:00 PM