Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default I've never used Ebay, but Craigslist rocks!

Over the course of the past year, I've taken a few curious peeks at
Craigslist.com. A few days ago a neighbor mentioned it took just a few
days to get a response to an ad he placed, so I thought what the hell,
I've never done the Ebay thing (guess I'm old fashioned...well maybe
NOT...I DO have an iPod), but I wanted to sell a tool I just relegated
to the corner by purchasing a new and improved model. Besides which,
that'll soften the blow when the credit card bill comes in.

On Thursday I went to Craigslist, read their help section, composed the
ad, got stuck for a bit on adding a picture until I saw a link at the
bottom of the page, and "published" my ad. Damn if I didn't get the
first response in 20 minutes!! All together I got 8 emails and several
phone numbers. The first guy that I contacted said he'd take it and
Friday mid morning he came by to exchange some green for a tool. Nice
guy. My trusty saw had found a good new home. I hope his wife wasn't
expecting him home sooner; we chatted quite some time! I emailed
everyone else that the item had been sold.

Ok, so that was pretty painless. Let's go for ad number two (Friday
night). An hour or two after the ad appears, my inbox shows "new mail".
Cool! The fellow included a phone number, but he didn't answer when
I called. This morning I call again, and he answers on the first ring
and says he'll be by this afternoon. He calls for directions mid
afternoon and arrives shortly thereafter in his big contractor pickup.
Hell of a nice guy too. Why can't my all my neighbors be this nice?
Some are, but then we've got some screwballs that should be
hospitalized. Anyway, turns out I may be able to use him for a home
improvement project next year and he gave me the name of a reliable
sharpening service, so the few dollars I made on the sale is
overshadowed by the value of meeting him.

I need to go through the attic soon to see what else I can advertise on
Craigslist. oh, yeah, I've been hoarding about 15 cans of R12 since
1988. I know that stuff is quite pricey nowadays and should fetch well
over $150.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Craigslist is great for things difficult to ship, or for things you just
want to get rid of for a token price.
I don't know anything about R12, but if it is easy to ship you will get
three times as much on eBay as Craigslist.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd Fatheree

"David" wrote in message
[...]

I recently upgraded to a larger lathe, the cost of which I had to justify to
SWMBO by telling her I would sell the Jet Mini Lathe. Since the mini lathe
is still quite heavy (~80 lbs), I wanted to take a shot at selling it on
CraigsList to a local buyer rather than get it ready for shipment. I sold
it for the same price I would have netted from eBay (and by the way, the
same price I bought it for on sale from Amazon). I always wonder what type
is going to pull up in this kind of transaction. Turns out the guy is your
normal dentist who wants to make shavings in his condo.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Toller wrote:

"David" wrote in message

[...]

I think there are restrictions on shipping Freon, if I'm not mistaken.
I would not have wanted to box up the CMS for shipment that I sold
yestgerday. Craigslist was relatively painless and quick.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
David wrote:

I think there are restrictions on shipping Freon, if I'm not mistaken.
I would not have wanted to box up the CMS for shipment that I sold
yestgerday. ...

In the USA, there are also restrictions on the buyer (but interesting
not the seller). The EPA says the buyer has to have EPA 609
certification, but I can't say I've every heard of a regulation on the
seller.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Ralph E
Lindberg wrote:

In the USA, there are also restrictions on the buyer (but interesting
not the seller). The EPA says the buyer has to have EPA 609
certification, but I can't say I've every heard of a regulation on the
seller.

Unless you're manufacturing the stuff, you have to buy it even just to
sell it, n'est ce pas?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Ralph E
Lindberg wrote:

In the USA, there are also restrictions on the buyer (but interesting
not the seller). The EPA says the buyer has to have EPA 609
certification, but I can't say I've every heard of a regulation on the
seller.

Unless you're manufacturing the stuff, you have to buy it even just to
sell it, n'est ce pas?

Not if you bought it -before- the regulations

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

I have some stuff up on e-may now (Delta 6" jointer and some DC connection
accessories). I just learned about Craig List a couple of weeks ago and
didn't think of them when I went to try and sell this stuff. Check out

and

-b

"David" wrote in message
[...]

GFCI still tripping fredinstl Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 06:56 PM
EBay hack Don Foreman Metalworking 59 March 23rd 05 02:32 AM
WARNING ! New ebay email scam ! Or should I say newest version of an old one Puff Griffis Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 02:22 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 06:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM