Posted to rec.woodworking
Fireant

Default Looking for a Unisaw miter gauge upgrade

Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Fireant" wrote in message
Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

The Woodhaven Deluxe fits your parameters. I own one and would buy it again.
Do a Google.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"Swingman" writes:

"Fireant" wrote in message
Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

The Woodhaven Deluxe fits your parameters. I own one and would buy it again.

The Woodhaven is $119 on Hartville tools.

The Kreg is almost identical. But the Kreg adds a verier to add tenths
of a degree adjustments, and lets you do micro-adjustments (100th of a
degree).

$139.99 on Amazon which includes the 24" metal track (this sells for
$39.99 at Woodcraft) and free shipping.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Rockler has a sale on some items that may fit your budget
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11261

I have both the 1000 and 2000 model with the 2000 being the workhorse. I
purchased extra aluminum fence's for both and would not trade them for
anything except a sliding table. If all you're doing is light to medium
work, the model 1000 will work well but if you're cross-cutting longer,
heavier pieces of stock, then you should look into the 2000. the manf is
www.incra.com and one of their major resellers is WoodPeckers at
http://www.woodpeck.com/

Worth the time to investigate.

Bob S.

"Fireant" wrote in message
Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
"Swingman" writes:

"Fireant" wrote in message
Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

The Woodhaven Deluxe fits your parameters. I own one and would buy it
again.

The Woodhaven is $119 on Hartville tools.

The Kreg is almost identical. But the Kreg adds a verier to add tenths
of a degree adjustments, and lets you do micro-adjustments (100th of a
degree).

The Kreg is a nice unit and they probably have the kinks worked out. I
bought one in the summer of 2004 and Kreg sent me 3 indexing pins and
finally a new miter gauge before getting one that would lock in to 90
degrees with the indexing pin.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Fireant" wrote in message
Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

I can tell you to avoid the latest Osborne. I went through 2 of them before
giving up and exchanging for a Kreg. When setting with the indexing shaft
extended full to 45 degrees both Osborne units had 2 to 3 degrees of
wobble. When collapsing the indexing shaft to obtain 45 degrees it was rock
solid. An apparent design flaw.

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

I have the kreg, the alum bar can flex a bit if you are trying to start
your cut off the table.

I've seen some sales for the Jess'em unit at a bit over your budget,
but it looks like a tank!

I bought the kreg for the venier scale, but a steel miter bar would be
nice vs the alum it comes in.

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

My dad built a custom sled to do angles a real work of art, he puts as much
time into making his jigs as his toy making. I suppose being retired allows
for that but he has always done this kind of thing.
"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:32:12 GMT, "Fireant"
wrote:

Something less than $150 but accurate left and right of the blade. TIA.

I have the (2) of the cheapest Incras (v.67?), with shop-made
disposable fences.

FWIW, all of my 90's are done with sleds. Once you go sled, you'll
never go back. G

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

FWIW, all of my 90's are done with sleds. Once you go sled, you'll
never go back. G

Agreed. If I only had a shop that would hold a sled for every angle ... but
even a sled that would accommodate every angle would do.

http://in-lineindustries.com/

IIRC, Leon has one ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

How many angles do you use? It would seem to me not that many but you might
be doing some unique work.
"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:07:37 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Agreed. If I only had a shop that would hold a sled for every angle ...
but
even a sled that would accommodate every angle would do.

Hmmmmmm. A 40' storage container for sleds....

Nahhhh, my wife would never put up with it!

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Ba r r y wrote:

FWIW, all of my 90's are done with sleds. Once you go sled, you'll
never go back. G

Rosebud?
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:34:42 GMT, "BobS" wrote:

Rockler has a sale on some items that may fit your budget
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11261

I have both the 1000 and 2000 model with the 2000 being the workhorse. I
purchased extra aluminum fence's for both and would not trade them for
anything except a sliding table. If all you're doing is light to medium
work, the model 1000 will work well but if you're cross-cutting longer,
heavier pieces of stock, then you should look into the 2000. the manf is
www.incra.com and one of their major resellers is WoodPeckers at
http://www.woodpeck.com/

Worth the time to investigate.

Bob S.

============
Well Bob G... is going to disagree with Bob S on this one... I own a
Incra 2000 and it gathers dust in my shop...

I just find it very bulky, and heavy, in short I do not like how it
FEELS... I will say that I have absolutely no complaints with its
accuracy... I have been meaning to "step down" to a 1000 for yrears
just never have ...

Bob G.
..
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"wayne mak" wrote in message
How many angles do you use? It would seem to me not that many but you

might
be doing some unique work.

A myriad of angles, most never given precise angular measurement, but copied
instead, and transferred to the jigs, shims, cutting tools, workpieces,
etc., using adjustable "squares".

Copying the angles, many compound, on an antique chair, a project of which I
am in the planning stages as we speak, is an excellent example:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Chairlayout.jpg

... this thing has more angles than Minnesota Fats.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:22:33 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

I have the (2) of the cheapest Incras (v.67?), with shop-made
disposable fences.

I think the cheap one (about $59) is the V27.
The 1000 is more versatile but I like the size of the V27.
If they would put that little degree pointer on the V27 I'd like it a
lot more.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Ba r r y" wrote in message

FWIW, all of my 90's are done with sleds. Once you go sled, you'll
never go back. G

Agreed. If I only had a shop that would hold a sled for every angle ...
but
even a sled that would accommodate every angle would do.

http://in-lineindustries.com/

IIRC, Leon has one ...

Yes I do, both left and right sided. I do not know what I would do with out
them. The angles you set are dead on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

I have the osborne and the incra 1000se. The incra is very nice, but
the longer cross member for the osborne is good too so I kept both.
The incra fence seems a little flimsy too and I don't find it as easy
to adjust as they say.
One thing I like about the incra is the ability to make sliding faces
from MDF which I seem to find a need for a lot to prevent tear out.
Can't do that on ther osborne.
I have not seen a perfect do it all miter gauge yet.

MBR