Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Default Jigsaw purchase

I have received some Lowe's gift cards for my birthday and plan to use
them to buy a jigsaw. Everything I read about the Bosch 1590 is great
but my hands are kinda small and that is a pretty big chunk of tool.

I was looking at the Hitachi jigsaw today. It has a little less power
and reqires a hex wrench to rotate the sole. It fit my hand a lot
better, but I have not seen any reviews of it. Do any of you have any
experience with it?

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Olebiker wrote:
I have received some Lowe's gift cards for my birthday and plan to use
them to buy a jigsaw. Everything I read about the Bosch 1590 is great
but my hands are kinda small and that is a pretty big chunk of tool.

Can we all say, "Cheapskate"?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Maybe the 1590's size would be an advantage - with the extra weight and
just the "substantial-ness" of the tool, as well as how smooth it runs
and cuts, it doesn't jump around or require as much guidance as my old
B&D did. You don't need to push down on it or anything, just kind of
direct where you want it to go, and it does so smoothly and without
"complaining".
I'd reconsider, and at least try the 1590 (or 1591) if you can.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Dave" wrote in message
Check out the Bosch 1591 barrel grip. that's the one Norm uses. I like
mine
a lot.

I'll ditto the 1591 Barrel grip version. I have pretty small hands as well
and the barrel grip works just fine. It's, I hope, the last Jigsaw I buy.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have received some Lowe's gift cards for my birthday and plan to use
them to buy a jigsaw. Everything I read about the Bosch 1590 is great
but my hands are kinda small and that is a pretty big chunk of tool.

I was looking at the Hitachi jigsaw today. It has a little less power
and reqires a hex wrench to rotate the sole. It fit my hand a lot
better, but I have not seen any reviews of it. Do any of you have any
experience with it?

For the most part, you get what you pay for. So, decide the
features/quality you want and what you can justify paying. Then the most
important thing is how a tool feels to you.
If the Hitachi feels good, buy it. I have never seen it, but am willing to
bet that the people who own it like it.
It may not be as good as the Bosch, but is probably cheaper; so it
represents an equal value.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes
does not sell the 1591.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:23:08 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
Check out the Bosch 1591 barrel grip. that's the one Norm uses. I like
mine
a lot.

I'll ditto the 1591 Barrel grip version. I have pretty small hands as well
and the barrel grip works just fine. It's, I hope, the last Jigsaw I buy.
Cheers,
cc

I've used both the barrel grip and the top handle versions. I prefer
the top handle. I suspect that a small handed person would too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:01:14 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Check out the Bosch 1591 barrel grip. that's the one Norm uses. I like mine
a lot.

Actually, it's unproven yet that such is the case. In years past, he's
used three iterations of barrel grip Bosches, but the single instance
of the new Bosch in the 2005 season (Episode 1708) was too fleeting
(at least to my eye) to categorically assert whether it was a 1590 or
1591. The fronts of both saws are indistinguishable from one another
and the front is all one could see in that episode.

Now if someone happened to see him using the saw by watching the shop
shots during filming and would let me know which it was, I'd be happy
to back away from my assessment.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree. That barrel grip saw is incredible. You can make an easy S
cut in a 2x10 and be pretty much square along the cut edge.

If you have doubts, go to amazon.com and read the reviews.

I really took advantage of the angle cuts you are able to do with it.
Also, you can adjust the speed, the blower, and the aggressiveness of
the cut (how much it moves forward each stroke).

Holding it by the motor gives you much better control with no carpal
tunnel moves of the wrist.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote:

I've used both the barrel grip and the top handle versions. I prefer
the top handle. I suspect that a small handed person would too.

That certainly sounds reasonable if you have small hands. Seems the barrel
grip would be a bit hard to grasp for some one with small hands. I have
pretty large hands and still small the top handle. When I was about 10 my
father owned an old Sun Beam Saber saw that was ALL metal and a barrel grip.
That sucker would get too hot to hold. When I finally saw a top handle
style I found that it was not as hot to handle for long periods. Now that
every thing is plastic I doubt that the heat is as much of a factor anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes
does not sell the 1591.

Bob

I wonder if they offer more choices on line.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Leon said:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes
does not sell the 1591.

Bob

I wonder if they offer more choices on line.

Lowes can order anything you want from a current vendor's lineup - but
you DO have to wait for their next ship to come in. And good luck
finding anyone qualified to read the catalog and successfully _place_
the order. The help around here has degenerated into $5.75/hr. warm
bodies. And if it's a non-stock item, expect to pay a premium.

With that said, I love my Bosch Jigsaw - the feel of precision and
balance are hard to beat. The first time I used it, I could have
kicked myself for waiting so long to replace my existing jigsaws -
which both suck and will be gleefully placed in our next Garage Sale.
(One of which is an ancient B&D with a metal case - and as Leon points
out, it get's so hot you can't hold it - same with the same era sheet
sander.)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Lew wrote:
"Can we all say, "Cheapskate"? "

Why? The money isn't the problem. It's the size of the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't know about Lowes, but I do know that HomeDepot
does NOT accept giftcards for payment of online or catalog
orders - and only have the 1590 on the shelf, the 1591 is ONLY
listed online and in the catalog - and at least the local HD
will NOT special order the 1591 for instore purchase

John

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:10:46 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes
does not sell the 1591.

Bob

I wonder if they offer more choices on line.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Lowes will order "anything" that they have access to....

They have been and remain a huge Bosch customer.

wrote:

Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes
does not sell the 1591.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

I went back to Lowe's today and played with the 1590 and, in spite of
its mass, it has more features that I really like than anything else
out there. I am going to save the gift cards for another day, though.
I ordered the Bosch online tonight for $133 including shipping. Lowe's
price was $169 plus tax.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Olebiker wrote:
I went back to Lowe's today and played with the 1590 and, in spite of
its mass, it has more features that I really like than anything else
out there. I am going to save the gift cards for another day, though.
I ordered the Bosch online tonight for $133 including shipping. Lowe's
price was $169 plus tax.

You won't regret it. Even if it didn't have *any* features, it's still be a
winner. There's virtually no vibration and it cuts oak like my old B&D POS cut
1/4" plywood.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Maybe I'll give that old Skil to one of my sons-in-law.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:07:38 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Can we all say, "Cheapskate"?

That's unfair.

People who haven't _used_ a good jigsaw just don't appreciate how much
better they are.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I've used both the barrel grip and the top handle versions. I prefer
the top handle. I suspect that a small handed person would too.

Maybe it's just the fact that it feels like I have better control with the
barrel grip vs. the top handle. Irregardless, I have
small hands and I prefer the barrel grip.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Andy Dingley wrote:

That's unfair.

It was not intended to be but rather a wake up call.

People who haven't _used_ a good jigsaw just don't appreciate how much
better they are.

I agree.

It also applies to almost every thing you need to purchase.

There ain't no free lunch as the old expression goes.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:16:47 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Irregardless,

Irregardless? What does that mean?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 11/17/2005 11:15 PM LRod mumbled something about the following:
wrote:

Irregardless,

Irregardless? What does that mean?

irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes
used humorously

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
ddakadmc

I struggled over the jigsaw purchase as well, and I bit the bullet and
bought the Bosch and I am so very glad I did. I was able to compare it
to a Craftsman (newest model) and a Skil and there was NO comparison.

The only other jigsaws I tried that compares are Hilti and Festool.
They are VERY nice but I did not see additional features or a smoother
feel to spend another $100+. Hilti does have one that is $200 but
doesn't have any of the features Bosch has.

Lowes does special order as was mentioned in a previous post if you
want the barrel version, which they offered to do for me.

I don't think you can do better than the Bosch. I have 4 pieces of
Hitachi power tools that I really like, but I could not rationalize
anything less than the Bosch. That said, I have heard from a few
woodworking friends and my brother-in-law (general contractor) who like
the new DeWalt, which Lowes just got in and it is $10 less than the
Bosch.

Good luck,
Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can we all say, "read the orginal post again"?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:24:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Odinn quickly quoth:

wrote:

Irregardless,

Irregardless? What does that mean?

"Without no regard." he drawled, with the same inbred accent as the
person who wrote it. ;

irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes
used humorously

Egad! What fracking revisionist dictionary spawned that mess?
sigh

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

Here's what Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, has
to say about "irregardless." "Irregardless originated in dialectical
American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use
in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as
1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is
no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used
primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in
edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is
still a long way from general acceptance. Use "regardless" instead."

Dick "I am not a revisionist" Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Squanklin

Many people believe a "Webster's" dictionary is authoritative.
However, there is neither a copyright on the name nor a set of
standards for publishing a "Webster's" dictionary. Therefore, anyone
can publish his own version of a "Webster's" dictionary without meeting
any generally agreed-upon definitions.

Additionally, Webster's dictionaries tend to be "descriptive" - that
is, describing how words are being used in society, rather than how
they *should* be used.

The more prescriptive American Heritage College Dictionary, Third
Edition, provides these guidelines on "irregardless:"

ir-re-gard-less adv. NON-STANDARD. Regardless

Usage note: The label Non-Standard does only approximate justice to the
status of irregardless. More precisely, it is a form that many people
mistakenly believe to be a correct usage in formal style but that in
fact has no legitimate antecedents in either standard or nonstandard
varieties. The word was likely coined from a blend of irrespective and
regardless.

[with apologies for continuing OT]

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Girouard

Larry Jaques wrote:
irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes
used humorously

Egad! What fracking revisionist dictionary spawned that mess?
sigh

Ooo... ooo! I know this one! The same one that defines 'fracking'.

-John in NH

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:36:13 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

I can look at the edge _afterwards_ and tell which jigsaw I used
(cheap B&D or Bosch barrel body)

Now the question I have is: if you have a Bosch barrel body, why do
you still have a cheap B&D?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

The pattern seems to be: Guy with Black and Decker/Skill jigsaw reads this
group. Goes out and buys a Bosch. Proclaims that it is the best saw in the
world. I have a Hitachi. I too upgraded from a B@D. The Hitachi is a huge
step up in performance. Is the Bosch better? Who's to say, the guy that
previously owned a B@D and upgraded to the Bosch?
wrote:

I can look at the edge _afterwards_ and tell which jigsaw I used
(cheap B&D or Bosch barrel body)

Now the question I have is: if you have a Bosch barrel body, why do
you still have a cheap B&D?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

CW wrote:
The pattern seems to be: Guy with Black and Decker/Skill jigsaw reads this
group. Goes out and buys a Bosch. Proclaims that it is the best saw in the
world. I have a Hitachi. I too upgraded from a B@D. The Hitachi is a huge
step up in performance. Is the Bosch better? Who's to say, the guy that
previously owned a B@D and upgraded to the Bosch?

You make an excellent point. I think many of us start with B&D POS jigsaws out
of ignorance. I read about the Bosch initially in (I think) FWW. They haven't
steered me wrong yet.

I could not believe the difference in the two saws. As for other high end
jigsaws, who knows? FWW?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:55:53 +0000, LRod wrote:

Now the question I have is: if you have a Bosch barrel body, why do
you still have a cheap B&D?

I don't - the Bosch is a friend's which I borrow when I'm doing anything
better than firewood.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

This is the reason that I don't put much stock in the tool opinions on here.
I don't believe that people are giving bad advice, they just very often
don't really have any broad point of reference.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
m...
CW wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Olebiker

I got home today and the power tool fairy had arrived with the new
Bosch 1590. I needn't have worried about the size of the saw.

I didn't even change clothes before loading a blade and cutting out a
couple of pieces for an Adirondack chair. I wish I didn't have to go
to a meeting at church tonight or I would finish the rest of the cuts.
This thing is amazing.

Dick Durbin

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Olebiker wrote:
I got home today and the power tool fairy had arrived with the new
Bosch 1590. I needn't have worried about the size of the saw.

I didn't even change clothes before loading a blade and cutting out a
couple of pieces for an Adirondack chair. I wish I didn't have to go
to a meeting at church tonight or I would finish the rest of the cuts.
This thing is amazing.

Not to say we told ya so, but we told ya so.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to rec.woodworking