Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

Default The Mother of All Pointy Sticks

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Vidler

John Thomas wrote:
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Apparently pointy sticks are difficult to make. The site says the stock
delivered was unacceptable. They must not have had the approved
rec.woodworking plans.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

John Thomas said:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Let's see. Thirty 3 foot pointy sticks and a bamboo quiver.
Not quite enough for around here...

Robin should think twice about selling these _period_.
The potential for law suits is astounding.
The perfect retroactive birth control.

In my generation, it was the rolling egg - an orange plastic
contraption you climbed into and held on for dear life as your friends
rolled you down a steep hill. If you weren't thrown free and impaled
by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

But I'll take 4 sets of these pointy sticks, extra sharp...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

In my generation, it was the rolling egg - an orange plastic
contraption you climbed into and held on for dear life as your friends
rolled you down a steep hill. If you weren't thrown free and impaled
by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

Lawn Darts...

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

But I'll take 4 sets of these pointy sticks, extra sharp...

Greg G.

What for? ...Birth control?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking

You'll put your eye out with that thing!

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Nov 16, 2005, 8:42pm (EST+5) (John*Thomas)
does posteth:
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.
http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

But what about plans?

JOAT
Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

AAvK said:

by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

But I'll take 4 sets of these pointy sticks, extra sharp...

Greg G.

What for? ...Birth control?

No, for poking at people in the wreck. ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
SteveB

"John Thomas" wrote in message
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

You'll putcher eye out!

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Modat22

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:06:16 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"John Thomas" wrote in message
. 6...
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

You'll putcher eye out!

Steve

Remember jarts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"John Thomas" wrote in message
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Jeeeeez , you just gotta think that this was a product liability suite in
the making. I'm thinking LeeValley may have thought that also.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

Oh my gods - that girl is TINY!
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian In Hampton

Lawn darts were a game???? I just threw them up as high as I could and
run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian :-)

--
www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas
"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Greg G.
wrote:

In my generation, it was the rolling egg - an orange plastic
contraption you climbed into and held on for dear life as your friends
rolled you down a steep hill. If you weren't thrown free and impaled
by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

Lawn Darts...

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
noonenparticular

wrote:

In my generation, it was the rolling egg - an orange plastic
contraption you climbed into and held on for dear life as your friends
rolled you down a steep hill. If you weren't thrown free and impaled
by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

Lawn Darts...

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

The mother of all potential lawsuits was that stupid balancing board set
atop a can laid on its side. No telling how many Christmas morning were
ruined by that thing......

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:42:16 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is that a teepee pole in your pocket or...

aw never mind...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article r9Sef.14120$sg5.446@dukeread12, Brian In Hampton
wrote:

Lawn darts were a game??'

I never used the word "game"

Just "lawn darts"

;-)

--
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a
well-heeled Western liberal to explain that the face does, after all, enjoy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Roy
wrote:

but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:

No point that I can see. MOA dowels, maybe...

--
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline - it helps
if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian In Hampton

True but I was hinting that pick up sticks were a game...............
--
www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas
"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People
In Large Groups!"
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article r9Sef.14120$sg5.446@dukeread12, Brian In Hampton
wrote:

Lawn darts were a game??'

I never used the word "game"

Just "lawn darts"

;-)

--
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a
well-heeled Western liberal to explain that the face does, after all,

enjoy
free health care and 100 percent literacy." -- John Derbyshire

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Brian In Hampton" wrote

Lawn darts were a game???? I just threw them up as high as I could and
run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian :-)

I can do ya one better than that.

I have a brother who was one of those reckless, crazy guys who flirted with
death many times in his life and rarely got hurt. I on the other hand, if I
don't super observe every possible safety rule, gets hurt easily.

When he was about 14, got together with another crazy guy in the general
area and found some old, leaking dynamite at an old logging camp. They
picked it up and drove it home in the back of a pickup. Took it out in a
field in back of the house and blew some holes in the ground near some big
rocks.

The they proceeded to put some dynamite in the hole and roll big rocks onto
the top of the charges. They would then blow up the dynamite and run around
to avoid the rocks as they fell down from the sky. As they continued doing
this, the rocks broke up and became smaller and smaller. Which meant that
they would be harder to see.

And all he got from this was a few small bruises. And no blows to the head.
And he thought it was great fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:19:30 GMT, Roy wrote:

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:
http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Thanks for that ! I've just been looking for tipi poles

(Shame that shipping is probably impractical)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lawrence Wasserman

wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All
Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All
Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.

I get the point.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Robin Lee

"Jim Vidler" wrote in message
John Thomas wrote:
Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Apparently pointy sticks are difficult to make. The site says the stock
delivered was unacceptable. They must not have had the approved
rec.woodworking plans.

-Jim

Nah - the pointy stick part was OK.... even managed to get the double-end
part right...

The bamboo cases were wet - and when they arrived, were covered with
mold..... ;(

Neat product - but we ain't shipping moldy stuff .....

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
You'll put your eye out with that thing!

only if you run with it

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:40:42 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:19:30 GMT, Roy wrote:

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:
http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Thanks for that ! I've just been looking for tipi poles

(Shame that shipping is probably impractical)

Probably. Cost me about $125 to have my last set shipped from Minnesota. I imagine it's a tad more
to the UK. I keep these out of the weather when not being used. My previous set lasted 10-12 years
stored outdoors in Texas. Try one of these sites for a more local source for you. One of the
'skinners there will know where you can get them. Sharpen your draw knife and put a fresh belt on
the sander though.

http://web.onyxnet.co.uk/Gunn.MacLaren-onyxnet.co.uk/

http://www.hudsonbaytrappers.co.uk/

http://www.falsterske.dk/ (also has English version)

http://www.hiswap.uitholland.nl/

http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/linklist.htm (good place to start a search)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:01:25 GMT, Roy wrote:

http://web.onyxnet.co.uk/Gunn.MacLaren-onyxnet.co.uk/

Weird. Here in the UK there's pretty much _no_ crossover between muzzle
loaders and tipi-dwellers. They're more likely to see them as targets!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:03:19 GMT, (Lawrence
Wasserman) wrote:

wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All
Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.

They keep those in a different warehouse. Just make sure you order as
many boxes of points as you order sticks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

They keep those in a different warehouse. Just make sure you order as
many boxes of points as you order sticks.

Damn. Like shaving appliances. Give 'em the stick and sell 'em the
points...

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Roy

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.

They keep those in a different warehouse. Just make sure you order as
many boxes of points as you order sticks.

Except in San Francisco ... where only blunts are allowed, and only outlaws
have points.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Dave Balderstone said:

In article , Greg G.
wrote:

In my generation, it was the rolling egg - an orange plastic
contraption you climbed into and held on for dear life as your friends
rolled you down a steep hill. If you weren't thrown free and impaled
by a pointy stick, the leg and arm fractures would cripple you.

Lawn Darts...

Or how about Cox model rockets. An 8 ounce plastic model rocket that
you stuffed Estes "C" engines into and hoped it made it off the
ground. If the parachute failed, as it frequently did, one could be
impaled by a red plastic high velocity pointy stick from above.

Standing around the launch site, gazing at the sky for a tell-tale
sign of the aberrant missile, would sometimes result in a loud "thunk"
as the rocket's hard plastic nose cone impaled the hard, sun-baked
clay to a depth of 3-4" - three feet ahead of you. Talk about putting
your eye out...

Between this and the violent explosions from homemade rocket
propellants, I had few friends left by the time puberty arrived.

Oh, yes. The Darwin factor certainly cleaned up the gene pool when I
was a child - damned tort lawyers... g

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy

wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All
Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Yeah, but it looks like you have to supply your own point.

There's a bunch of you making way too many disparaging remarks about tipi poles of late. Just going
to pick on Lawrence's post to rebut all y'all.

Hey, I consider something that tapers from 4-5 inches across to 3/8 inch across over 26-28 feet in
length to be pretty pointy. It ain't sharp, I admit, but it sure has a pointy shape. If you shrunk
that pole down to needle size, it would be sharp AND pointy.

Visualize a tipi pole as a giant needle that you thread with a 3 inch rope. Got that image firmly
in your head? mmmh??

If you do, you need to get out in the shop and make some sawdust. Something's wrong with you folks
if you have to make unkind jokes about another man's tipi poles, and sawdust will fix it. And
before all y'all ask, no, you can't cut up my set of poles. I need 'em myself for the lodge as the
stakes are way too short to hold up the cover let alone the liner, ozan and door.

Hmmph.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:40:42 +0000, Andy Dingley
scribbled:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:19:30 GMT, Roy wrote:

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All Pointy Sticks:
http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Thanks for that ! I've just been looking for tipi poles

(Shame that shipping is probably impractical)

You mean you have to *buy* tipi poles???? Why can't you just go out in
the bush and cut a few lodgepole pines?

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:08:23 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

You mean you have to *buy* tipi poles???? Why can't you just go out in
the bush and cut a few lodgepole pines?

Shortage of lodgepole pines. My best option locally for long straight
poles is coppiced ash and I can't find any of that length that thin.

For yurt rafters I cleave ash, but it just wouldn't look right on a
tipi.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:20:29 +0000, Andy Dingley
scribbled:

wrote:

You mean you have to *buy* tipi poles???? Why can't you just go out in
the bush and cut a few lodgepole pines?

Shortage of lodgepole pines. My best option locally for long straight
poles is coppiced ash and I can't find any of that length that thin.

For yurt rafters I cleave ash, but it just wouldn't look right on a
tipi.

I was just kidding, but I now wonder if there is a business there for
someone here to ship lodgepole pine tipi poles from the YK to the UK.
Our lodgepole pines tend to grow in almost pure stands of tightly
packed trees, hence they are tall and straight (but that's the nature
of the interior subspecies of the inaptly named Pinus contorta). What
do you think people would be prepared to pay for them and is there
much of a demand?

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:14:59 -0800, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

What do you think people would be prepared to pay for them

Zilch

Who wants a tipi ?

Hippies want tipis.

How much money do hippies have ?

Bugger all.

and is there much of a demand?

No. There's a better market in yurts and geodesic domes. Domes in
particular have a "commercial" market on the festival circuit and so
they might be bought by someone who actually has a real budget. Tipis
might be OK to live in, but the doorway / light / floorspace just aren't
big enough to use them as a stall or venue for anything commercial.

The few UK lodgepole pines I've seen have been in odd locations, not in
stands, and they've been anything other than straight. There are a few
about, and I could probably round them up with a lot of looking, but
those "$10" prices for as many as I wanted would have saved me a lot of
legwork.

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

wrote:

Saw this in the latest offering from Lee Valley. Had to share.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....at=4,104,45483

Not to try to one-up Lee Valley, but I think THESE are The Mother of All
Pointy Sticks:

http://www.polespecialties.com/pages/813132/index.htm

Regards,
Roy

Actually, the Mother of All Pointy Sticks dates back to the
paleomezocretatianous period - developed by a little black
lady in Africa. I think she was mentioned in Alex Haley's
book.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...2History0.html

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:20:57 +0000, Andy Dingley
scribbled:

wrote:

What do you think people would be prepared to pay for them

Zilch

Who wants a tipi ?

Hippies want tipis.

How much money do hippies have ?

Bugger all.

and is there much of a demand?

No. There's a better market in yurts and geodesic domes. Domes in
particular have a "commercial" market on the festival circuit and so
they might be bought by someone who actually has a real budget. Tipis
might be OK to live in, but the doorway / light / floorspace just aren't
big enough to use them as a stall or venue for anything commercial.

Ah well, there goes my get-rich-quick scheme of providing poles to
British tipi dwellers. :-(

The few UK lodgepole pines I've seen have been in odd locations, not in
stands, and they've been anything other than straight. There are a few
about, and I could probably round them up with a lot of looking, but
those "$10" prices for as many as I wanted would have saved me a lot of
legwork.

Probably Shore pine then, the contorted coastal subspecies of Pinus
contorta, which gave the species its name.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mr. Moose

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:16:35 GMT, "noonenparticular"
wrote:

The mother of all potential lawsuits was that stupid balancing board set
atop a can laid on its side. No telling how many Christmas morning were
ruined by that thing......

jc

I have two words for you...

Chemistry sets

Sure, in the lab you need a coat, goggles, gloves, mask, venting hood,
fire doors, and goodness knows what else, but with a home chemistry
set, all you need is a bunch of alcohol to fire up the alcohol lamp
and you're in business! (I remember melting sulfer in a test tube,
then putting in some water, and watching a sulfer chunk rocket out and
hit the aluminum patio cover...)

Mark