fsteddie

Default new bandsaw? HELP

Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA
Duke of Burl

Harbor Freight - wait til it's on sale.

Vic Baron

"fsteddie" wrote in message
Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA

I think the Grizzly G055 14" is a great buy. I've had mine for over a year
now and have had no problem with it altho I did immediately replace the
stock blade with a Timberwolf. Making bandsaw boxes out of 6" walnut and
maple and a 3/16" blade slices through that like butter.

Just MHO,

Vic

David

fsteddie wrote:

Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA

would you spend $900?

Dave
Battleax

"fsteddie" wrote in message
Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

Then make price not an issue.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:21:57 -0500, fsteddie
wrote:

Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA

lots of options.

if it was me, I'd be looking for a 30 year old delta.

some folks have been happy with their harbor freight delta clones,
with a bit of tweaking.

there are a lot of other delta clones being sold by lots of companies,
including delta, at a range of prices.

rikon is selling euro style machines that review well. they seem to be
mid- priced. similar machines are sold by lots of other companies.

this might be a place to start:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq= &as_eq=&as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&as_usubject=band saw&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&a s_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=15&as_maxm=11&as_max y=2005&safe=off

or:
http://tinyurl.com/d4vmj
Cyrille de Brébisson

hello,

I got the Harbor freight one for $230 on sale. I added the raiser kit for
$50, and a couple of good blades (3/4" timber wolf for resawing and 1/8 for
fine work, $50) and bearing blocks for $12 and I am more than happy!

it is precise enough, and I have never been limited by the thing. even with
all the add on, it is still much cheaper than anything else...

regards, cyrille

"fsteddie" wrote in message
Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA

David

fsteddie wrote:

would you spend $900?

Dave

NO

then I have no recommendations for a good unit.

dave

Duke of Burl

Price is no issue? Look at Johnson.

Whose?

Vic Baron

"Duke of Burl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Price is no issue? Look at Johnson.

Whose?

roflmao!

Leon

"fsteddie" wrote in message
Im looking to buy a new 14" bandsaw..
If you were me, what model/brand would you buy, and why?
I do a medium amount of wood work,bandsaw is not a primary tool.
That being said ,I would want an accurate tool.
PRICE IS AN ISSUE
Im not into junk want to do this once and be happy

TIA

I'd go with Rikon. It is an new Chinese manufactured band saw and it is
whipping the competition in the band saw tests and comparisons in many of
the major magazines. Fit and finish makes most all the rest in the same
price range look pretty lame. Woodcraft is one of the resellers.

http://www.rikontools.com/14inBS.html

If you want this to maybe your last, consider the 18" model. You will be
able to do serious resawing with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ice

Sears practically gave me a Delta 9" the other day.

Floor model. Clearanced to $59, and 20% off all clearance items, and a
bonus $10 off for using my Sears card.