dak

Default Lacquer Finishing Advice Needed

This sounds a little strange (even to me) but here goes.

I have a fireplace mantel that is coated with a pigmented lacquer. I
have constructed a surround that I now need to match. I have a enough
lacquer for a couple of coats, so I think the base needs to be tinted
toward the finish coat cover.

So... the idea is to put down a base coat of latex enamel in the same
color as the top coat. The question is, will this work? Is there any
nasty interaction between the lacquer and the latex enamel?

I really would like to avoid refinishing the mantel, and getting a new
batch of lacquer is ikely to be fruitless. I am no good at matching
colors, and neither are the local paint stores.

Any thoughts / ideas ?

Thanks.

David

dak wrote:

This sounds a little strange (even to me) but here goes.

I have a fireplace mantel that is coated with a pigmented lacquer. I
have constructed a surround that I now need to match. I have a enough
lacquer for a couple of coats, so I think the base needs to be tinted
toward the finish coat cover.

So... the idea is to put down a base coat of latex enamel in the same
color as the top coat. The question is, will this work? Is there any
nasty interaction between the lacquer and the latex enamel?

I really would like to avoid refinishing the mantel, and getting a new
batch of lacquer is ikely to be fruitless. I am no good at matching
colors, and neither are the local paint stores.

Any thoughts / ideas ?

Thanks.

dewaxed shellac works well as a barrier between unfriendly coatings.

Dave
dadiOH

dak wrote:

So... the idea is to put down a base coat of latex enamel in the same
color as the top coat. The question is, will this work? Is there any
nasty interaction between the lacquer and the latex enamel?

It will probably eat it unless you use a shellac barrier coat as David
suggested.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

NorthIdahoWWer

I have sprayed Deft Brushing Lacquer (even though it says not to) on top of
both water-based stains (which are basically latex) and latex paint with
good results. Can't attest to other brands of lacquer. I'd suggest doing a
test on a scrap. Good Luck

Will