Frank Boettcher

Default Attn: Frank B. from Delta

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:02:48 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

Frank,

Sorry for the delay. When I was in the shop, I forgot, but I
remembered when I was nowhere near the shop. G Now, I can't find
the thread where you told me you'd check into this.

The bandsaw that was missing major parts is:
28-475X s/n 03J53171

Thanks for investigating!
Barry

Barry

Any more details? What major parts.

I did a task force on shorted parts one time. It is a big problem for
all manufactureres. And I was shocked at the different ways it can
happen.

They could be left out at the factory. Certainly happens but was the
least frequent.

They can fall out during shipment. Indicates a look at your package
engineering to see if it is up to the task.

They could be parlayed by the dealer. By that I mean, dealer sells a
floor stock model that has been on display and parts have been lost or
pilfered. To make it whole his counter sales guy opens a new one and
gets the part(s) out. Good intentions of ordering replacements.
Forgets or the next saw is sold before they come in, Customer
complains when he gets home and next box gets opened and another unit
is short. Or he is told to call Delta, they will make it right under
warranty if he doesn't have the parts.

Sometimes it is a bungled master box shipment, when components are
shipped in more than one box and one of the boxes is left off the
shipment.

For hardware, it was often using the wrong piece in the wrong place
during assembly and then coming up short later on. Most domestic
Delta products have a full scale drawing of each hardware piece to
make sure that doesn't happen. That was one of the projects initiated
by the task force.

All in all, I think we came up with over twenty root causes for
shortages.

Your Band Saw was made in October of 2003. I can't remember when it
started (X5) but that could have been the time that the major changes
were made to the model to make it a one box shipment (stand and saw in
the same package) and a lot of other improvements to the motor size,
quick release, quick blade tensioning, die type tension spring, dust
collection improvements, etc. When lots of running changes are taking
place, sometimes the Bill of Material changes and the assembly line
do not catch up with each other. If so, the factory is guilty and I
apologise for it.

More importantly than any after the fact apology, I hope you were
quickly made whole.

Frank

BTW someone ask in a prior post why we didn't just weigh the packages.
We did try that, but the grey iron was so variable batch to batch that
weight differences were inconclusive.

The usual disclaimer, I represent no one but myself.