Default Black Walnut

We have a 30-40 ft tall, 12"-14" diameter black walnut tree in our yard. Due
to some yard reno's the tree may come down. Obviously this is not a firewood
tree.

Getting it down is not a problem, what to do with it after that is... any
suggestions on milling, drying etc.?

Cheers,
David

--
Disclaimer: Any comments made are personal and do not reflect the thoughts
or policies of this company.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:45:50 -0800, D d@here wrote:
We have a 30-40 ft tall, 12"-14" diameter black walnut tree in our yard. Due
to some yard reno's the tree may come down. Obviously this is not a firewood
tree.

Well... by the time you get through the sapwood, you might have 10" of
nice walnut-looking walnut, and it's a yard tree which many sawyers
won't touch due to possible metal content.

Getting it down is not a problem, what to do with it after that is... any
suggestions on milling, drying etc.?

You could contact Woodmiser to see if any of their customers are in your
area and have signed up to be contacted in just this situation. You
won't get a heck of a lot of lumber out of it
You could contact Woodmiser to see if any of their customers are in your
area and have signed up to be contacted in just this situation. You
won't get a heck of a lot of lumber out of it. If the tree can be dug
out, you may have some interesting wood down into the roots.

Dave Hinz
robo hippy

I agree. In my experience, most walnut trees that size, especially ones
that are urban and not wild,will have at least half of their diameter
as sap wood. Not usually worth the effort. You won't know for sure
untio you cut it down.
robo hippy

Ralph E Lindberg

In article 436bc87d$1@flight, "D" d@here wrote:

We have a 30-40 ft tall, 12"-14" diameter black walnut tree in our yard. Due
to some yard reno's the tree may come down. Obviously this is not a firewood
tree.

Getting it down is not a problem, what to do with it after that is... any
suggestions on milling, drying etc.?

The roots and such might be good for turning and need to be cut
accordingly. The trunk might be good for lumber.

But there are several ways to prep, you can try to dry the log
sections. Treat the ends with something like "Anchorseal" and let them
dry for years.

You also could slab the wood and stack it. I've had reasonable luck
with the following method. Cut the boards into 4/4 or 5/4. Start with
putting cargo straps down, then put some pallets down. Stack the wood,
well stickered, on the pallets. Then put pallets on top and then bind
the entire assembly with the cargo straps. This puts pressure on the
wood and reduces curl, warp, etc.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Help with Watco Black Walnut Danish Oil SawDust Woodworking 10 January 2nd 05 02:54 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Cherry, Black Walnut, Oak, Grizzly Table Saw For Sale Chicago Dale McSwain Woodworking 0 July 26th 04 09:48 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases Ted Drain Woodworking 20 December 27th 03 08:04 PM