Mark L.

Default Unisaw price?

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark L." wrote in message
news
Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

Two factors are the weight. The cost of steel and iron have increased
dramatically in the past two years and Unisaws have plenty of it. Second is
freight cost. The fuel surcharge is now 26% for some carriers. It gets
expensive to move heavy machines to the dealers.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Brian Elfert

"Mark L." writes:

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

You got an absolute bargain if you bought a new Unisaw for $1200 two years
ago. They were going for $1500 to $1600 two years ago from what I
recall.

I paid around $1200 for a refurb Unisaw back in 2002 with a 52" Unifence.

The Unisaw is still made in the USA with American parts except they
dropped the Baldor motor in favor of a WEG motor that appears to be made
in Brazil.

Brian Elfert
Duane Bozarth

"Mark L." wrote:

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

You noticed what steel and fuel prices are doing/have done?

The Unisaw is still for the most part made in the US, I think (almost,
if not the only, Delta stationary machinery that still is?).
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Brian Elfert wrote:

You got an absolute bargain if you bought a new Unisaw for $1200 two years
ago. They were going for $1500 to $1600 two years ago from what I
recall.

I haven't seen a Unisaw ad for under $1500 in years and years. I just
looked through the Jan/Feb 2000 Fine Woodworking; every Unisaw ad I
spotted lists them for $1600. I think the OP has a cobweb in his memory,
or may have bought a refurb saw, or less than 3 hp saw, or some such.

I also pulled out the Dec. '89 issue of FWing.
3 hp Unisaws from Tool Crib were going for:
1.5 hp - $1299
1.5 hp w/Bies - $1469
3 hp - $1499
3 hp w/Bies - $1669

In other words, even 16 years ago, $1200 would barely get the most basic
1.5 hp Unisaw, which I don't believe is even made any longer.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:25:28 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

"Mark L." writes:

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

You got an absolute bargain if you bought a new Unisaw for $1200 two years
ago. They were going for $1500 to $1600 two years ago from what I
recall.

I paid around $1200 for a refurb Unisaw back in 2002 with a 52" Unifence.

The Unisaw is still made in the USA with American parts except they
dropped the Baldor motor in favor of a WEG motor that appears to be made
in Brazil.

Marathon not Baldor

Frank

Brian Elfert

Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:35:13 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

"Mark L." wrote:

Any idea what made the price of the Uni jump up to over $1800(US)? I
bought mine just 2 years ago for 'only' $1200. I thought outsourcing to
China was supposed to keep the pricing down..... Just wondering

You noticed what steel and fuel prices are doing/have done?

The Unisaw is still for the most part made in the US, I think (almost,
if not the only, Delta stationary machinery that still is?).

All Unisaw versions, The highest end 14" BS, All sizes of radial arm
saws, The heavy duty shaper series, The line boring Machines,

Frank
Brian Elfert

Frank Boettcher writes:

The Unisaw is still made in the USA with American parts except they
dropped the Baldor motor in favor of a WEG motor that appears to be made
in Brazil.

Marathon not Baldor

Opps.. Maybe I was thinking of the Baldor replacement motor sold on
Amazon.

Brian Elfert