John B

Default Rounding over Dowells

G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John
no(SPAM)vasys

John B wrote:
G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

Something like this might work:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
John B

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:
John B wrote:

G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in
it's direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to
but a chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more
pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

Something like this might work:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm

Interesting and novel Idea Jack.
I may just give it a shot.
thanks
John
Jody

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:
John B wrote:
G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in
it's direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to
but a chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more
pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

Something like this might work:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm

This is the same way I did it once.
Greg G.

no(SPAM)vasys said:

Something like this might work:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm

Yeabut how do you keep that nice shape intact after pounding them into
the hole with a large hammer? ;-)

Greg G.

Lew Hodgett

John B wrote:
G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.

snip

I use a disk sander along with a simple V-Block jig.

Lew

... I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels. I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with cutting surfaces inside.

I can't remember where I got them. I have a set of "ballers" of several
sizes that round off the ends of dowels. Just fit it on the end and
twist by han until the end is rounded.

... I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels. I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with cutting surfaces inside.

I can't remember where I got them. I have a set of "ballers" of several
sizes that round off the ends of dowels. Just fit it on the end and
twist by hand until the end is rounded.

dadiOH

John B wrote:
G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in
it's direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to
but a chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much
more pleasing. Looking froward to replys, if any.

1. Lathe

2. Chuck the dowel in a drill and turn it against coarse, rotating
abrasive on a disk sander, drum sander, etc.

Neither way is easily repeatable if you need numerous dowels with
rounded ends.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

No Spam

John B wrote:
G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

I just use a roundover bit in a router table. Carefully bring the dowel
up against the bearing, then rotate the dowel. Use a start pin or the
fence for support.

Stan

skeezics

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:45:47 GMT, John B
wrote:

G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

pencil sharpener.

skeez

no(SPAM)vasys

wrote:

G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

pencil sharpener.

skeez

If your pencil sharpener is rounding over the ends of your pencils I
think it's time for a new one.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
skeezics

wrote:

G'day all,
This is a fishing expedition with very little bait.
I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels.
I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with
cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie
Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's
direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a
chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing.
Looking froward to replys, if any.
All the best
John

pencil sharpener.

skeez

If your pencil sharpener is rounding over the ends of your pencils I
think it's time for a new one.

lol... just a touch cuts a nice relief around the end of a dowl.

skeez
John B

Thanks for all the input people.
I think I'll order a Dowel Baller set and see how they work.
Have saved links to some of the other ideas.
Once again thanks heaps
kind regards
John

John B

noonenparticular wrote:
Depending on the size (length) of the dowel, why not just chuck it in your
drill press and touch it with some 60 grit?

jc

Sometimes it's the simple things that escape us.
Good idea. I'll give it a shot.
Regards
John