Jim Wheeler

Default Projects with Trex?

Any thing neat to make with Trex scraps (8 to 18 inches in length)?

thx - jim
Robert Bonomi

In article . net,
Jim Wheeler wrote:
Any thing neat to make with Trex scraps (8 to 18 inches in length)?

Thats about the right size for shoe trees for drying out certain kinds of
wet tennis shoes.

A cautionary tail, however, follows ---

It seems that the leader of the local synagogue used some scraps for
exactly this purpose.

Then, one evening, his son then put his nice Air Jordan's on it to dry out.

The next morning they were totally ruined, much to everyone's dismay.

Our woodworker checked back with the plans source, and was informed that
said results were entirely expected. In fact, the project designer wasn't
even mildly sympathetic, as he explained...

(wait for it)

(you'll be sorreee!)

"Silly Rabbi, Trex is for Keds!"

(you *were* warned!)

BiffNightly

Jim,
Keep us posted if you do anything. I am very curious to see how well
this stuff can be machined & what toll it would take on any equipment blades
(ie jointer, planer). My brother has asked if I could make him some Mission
Style patio chairs using some type of composite material that requires no
maintenance, but I have been too chicken to try.

Has anyone else out there tried? What was the result? (I suspect dull
blades).

Thanx
Doug
"Jim Wheeler" wrote in message
ink.net...
Any thing neat to make with Trex scraps (8 to 18 inches in length)?

thx - jim

NorthIdahoWWer

I've used a round-over router bit on it when I had to rip a piece. Lots of
flakes but it machines pretty easily and didn't seem to wear my bit any more
than wood would have. I also have a few scraps just in case I ever came up
with a use. I don't know about chairs, maybe if they had a wood frame and
the trex was used for the seating.

Will

Has anyone else out there tried? What was the result? (I suspect dull
blades).

John Girouard

BiffNightly wrote:
Jim,
Keep us posted if you do anything. I am very curious to see how well
this stuff can be machined & what toll it would take on any equipment blades
(ie jointer, planer). My brother has asked if I could make him some Mission
Style patio chairs using some type of composite material that requires no
maintenance, but I have been too chicken to try.

Has anyone else out there tried? What was the result? (I suspect dull
blades).

Thanx
Doug
"Jim Wheeler" wrote in message
ink.net...

Any thing neat to make with Trex scraps (8 to 18 inches in length)?

thx - jim

I've mostly wondered if it might heat up while going through the planer, and
then I'd end up with melted plastic everywhere :/

-John
jo4hn

twitch.
the_tool_man

Hi all:

I've run a few pieces through my planer. It machines beautifully and
doesn't seem to heat up too much or dull the blades any faster than
wood does. However, the planer shavings become statically charged and
stick to everything (planer, me, etc.)

Regards,
John.

John Girouard wrote:
BiffNightly wrote:
[...]

John Girouard

John Girouard wrote:

BiffNightly wrote:

Jim,
Keep us posted if you do anything. I am very curious to see how well
this stuff can be machined & what toll it would take on any equipment blades
(ie jointer, planer). My brother has asked if I could make him some Mission
Style patio chairs using some type of composite material that requires no
maintenance, but I have been too chicken to try.

Has anyone else out there tried? What was the result? (I suspect dull
blades).

Thanx
Doug
"Jim Wheeler" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Any thing neat to make with Trex scraps (8 to 18 inches in length)?

thx - jim

I've mostly wondered if it might heat up while going through the planer, and
then I'd end up with melted plastic everywhere :/

-John

Holy smokes, there's a lot of Johns in here!

-John (the Girouard one)