Creekbuster

Default What glue has a long work time

I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not have
to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Thanks

Have you considered something like Gorilla glue?

http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

It has a work time of 20 minutes.

Jim
www.woodblog.com

Toller

TB extended has a nice long work time. It is very thin and runny, but I
like for that reason on dovetails.

Swingman

"Creekbuster" wrote in message
I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not

have
to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Although I rarely glue in spindles:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=42

IIRC, it's what David J. Marks uses when he refers to "plastic resin glue".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

John Girouard

Although I rarely glue in spindles:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=42

IIRC, it's what David J. Marks uses when he refers to "plastic resin glue".

Thanks! I've always wondered how that stuff was sold (box, bag, tube, tub).
Now having seen a container of the stuff, it should be a lot easier to find.

-John

Hide glue

David

Creekbuster wrote:
I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not have
to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Thanks

plastic resin glue
Bruce Barnett

" writes:

Hide glue

The ads say this has a work time up to an hour, and moist heat can
soften it for disassembly after that time.
There are some that are prepackaged so you don't need a glue pot.
But the shelf life is limited (a year I think).

I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not have to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

For Windsor chairs --- I use Elmer's white glue. It has a long enough
setting time for an involved assembly.

Joel Jacobson

On 27 Oct 2005 23:51:14 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

" writes:

Hide glue

The ads say this has a work time up to an hour, and moist heat can
soften it for disassembly after that time.
There are some that are prepackaged so you don't need a glue pot.
But the shelf life is limited (a year I think).

hide glue is the classic adhesive for fine furniture. it (and it's
analogs like rabbit glue) are the only glues that are correct for
antiques restoration. it's nice to work with for what it gives to the
assembly process, but it does involve some extra work of it's own-
mixing and heat pot maintenance mostly. one very good tip I have found
is to mix a batch and divide it into small portions and freeze them.
then heat those as needed.
David

David wrote:

Creekbuster wrote:

I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does
not have
to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Thanks

plastic resin glue

oh, not the best for a chair you may dis-assemble...
Jeff Gorman

wrote

Hide glue

Only if you heat the workpiece beforehand.

In fact hide glue is used for its almost instant grab properties when making
'rubbed' (ie panel) joints that are made without cramps.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

B a r r y

wrote:
Hide glue

Not to mention the feature of an "undo" button. G

Barry

As with almost all things, it depends. Urea can be mixed in with the
glue for a longer open time. If the glue is spread and allowed to gel,
it will have an instant grab. If it's globbed thickly, it can be
worked for quite a while until it starts to set.

George Max

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:29 -0400, "Rumpty" wrote:

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........
Swingman

"George Max" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:29 -0400, "Rumpty" wrote:

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........

Absolutely nothing ... but it does have a shorter open time than white glue.

For that reason alone white glue is something most old fashioned woodorkers
always have on hand ... and many will use nothing else.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

John B

Swingman wrote:
"George Max" wrote in message

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:29 -0400, "Rumpty" wrote:

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........

Absolutely nothing ... but it does have a shorter open time than white glue.

For that reason alone white glue is something most old fashioned woodorkers
always have on hand ... and many will use nothing else.

Well that put me in a slot. "An old fashioned woodorker" LOL
John
Swingman

"John B" wrote in message

Well that put me in a slot. "An old fashioned woodorker" LOL
John

Just as long as you're not a cow-orker ... in some states you can go to jail
for that!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Bill Leonhardt

"Creekbuster" wrote in message
I need a glue that has a longer open or work time then TB-III. It does not
have
to be waterproof. Setting up spindles takes longer then TB-III.

Thanks

I have listened to a few talks by Frank Klausz and he is a strong proponent
of Elmers white glue, which, I believe, has a longer working time than any
of the yellow glues. Also, it's cheap enough to not have to use any that's
been on the shelf awhile.

Frank describes how he has his assistants glue up test pieces with each new
batch of glue he buys. After the glue dries (overnight), he personally
tests the test pieces by striking them with a mallet.

Sounds good to me.....

Bill Leonhardt

George Max

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:13:56 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:29 -0400, "Rumpty" wrote:

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........

Absolutely nothing ... but it does have a shorter open time than white glue.

For that reason alone white glue is something most old fashioned woodorkers
always have on hand ... and many will use nothing else.

Good advise. Thanks.
CW

"George Max" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:57:29 -0400, "Rumpty" wrote:

Elmers WHITE glue is all you need.

What's the matter with yellow glue? Inquiring minds........

Did you read the subject line?

Jim K

WEST SYSTEM Epoxy has a pot time of 40 to 50 minutes