jo4hn

Default Sadness

In our three years here in our mountain hamlet, we have made many
friends. One couple lives a few houses down the street from us. They
are both in their late 80s but very active. He is a woodworker and
artist of local renown.

Unfortunately, they and their children have decided that it is time that
they move back to Los Angeles where, presumably, they can have closer
access to doctors and the aid of family. He has sold his equipment to a
mutual friend (excellent choice) and has given his wood leftovers to me.
I am honored and saddened by the whole procedure. Their house is sold
and his workshop will become a rumpus room by the new owners. We will
welcome them and bemoan our loss. And we will think of our own mortality.
sigh,
jo4hn
Morris Dovey

jo4hn (in ) said:

| In our three years here in our mountain hamlet, we have made many
| friends. One couple lives a few houses down the street from us.
| They are both in their late 80s but very active. He is a
| woodworker and artist of local renown.
|
| Unfortunately, they and their children have decided that it is time
| that they move back to Los Angeles where, presumably, they can have
| closer access to doctors and the aid of family. He has sold his
| equipment to a mutual friend (excellent choice) and has given his
| wood leftovers to me. I am honored and saddened by the whole
| procedure. Their house is sold and his workshop will become a
| rumpus room by the new owners. We will welcome them and bemoan our
| loss. And we will think of our own mortality. sigh,

Perhaps you can find some consolation in using a bit of the wood he's
left you to make some small, special gift to give in return - and
there's nothing to prevent you from inviting him to visit and share
your shop for an occasional weekend of shavings and sawdust (and old
times).

How much sadder it would be, if no one were sad about his moving
away...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

charlie b

Your cup ain't half empty, it's more than half full.

Think of all the wood dorkers out here who haven't
had a neighbor like him. Be grateful for having
encountered such a person and hopefully learned
more than just some woodworking things. I suspect
he also gave you some ideas of how to be when you're
70 , or, with luck, 80.

Every day we are given and make memories. If
you pay attention, you can make some good ones,
for yourself and others. Sounds like that old
galoot provided you with some that'll keep
popping up long after he's gone - from down
the street as well as from this little blue
ball in space.

So count your blessings instead of sheep and
I guaranttee you'll sleep a whole lot better.

charie b
Swingman

"jo4hn" wrote in message
In our three years here in our mountain hamlet, we have made many
friends. One couple lives a few houses down the street from us. They
are both in their late 80s but very active. He is a woodworker and
artist of local renown.

Unfortunately, they and their children have decided that it is time that
they move back to Los Angeles where, presumably, they can have closer
access to doctors and the aid of family. He has sold his equipment to a
mutual friend (excellent choice) and has given his wood leftovers to me.
I am honored and saddened by the whole procedure. Their house is sold
and his workshop will become a rumpus room by the new owners. We will
welcome them and bemoan our loss. And we will think of our own mortality.
sigh,

No lectures from this end ... just a tip of the hat for the fine expression
of human sentiment, and a 'thanks' for sharing it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05

mac davis

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:28:00 -0700, jo4hn wrote:

In our three years here in our mountain hamlet, we have made many
friends. One couple lives a few houses down the street from us. They
are both in their late 80s but very active. He is a woodworker and
artist of local renown.

Unfortunately, they and their children have decided that it is time that
they move back to Los Angeles where, presumably, they can have closer
access to doctors and the aid of family. He has sold his equipment to a
mutual friend (excellent choice) and has given his wood leftovers to me.
I am honored and saddened by the whole procedure. Their house is sold
and his workshop will become a rumpus room by the new owners. We will
welcome them and bemoan our loss. And we will think of our own mortality.
sigh,
jo4hn

I feel your pain, john... but it's gonna happen to all of us that are unlucky
enough to die of old age...

Take comfort in knowing that you had a good friend that gave you comfort... and
as hard as it is to admit to yourself, (unless you have a HUGE ego), you gave
him friendship and comfort also...

I second the gift idea... it might make him miss his shop a little, but that
will be a small hurt when compared to the memories and warm fuzzies that gift
will create.... and for many years, I hope..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Allyn Vaughn

wrote:

In our three years here in our mountain hamlet, we have made many
friends. One couple lives a few houses down the street from us. They
are both in their late 80s but very active. He is a woodworker and
artist of local renown.

Unfortunately, they and their children have decided that it is time that
they move back to Los Angeles where, presumably, they can have closer
access to doctors and the aid of family. He has sold his equipment to a
mutual friend (excellent choice) and has given his wood leftovers to me.
I am honored and saddened by the whole procedure. Their house is sold
and his workshop will become a rumpus room by the new owners. We will
welcome them and bemoan our loss. And we will think of our own mortality.
sigh,
jo4hn

One of the unfortunate realities of living out away from it all is
that the services are also away from you as well. I have seen this
same situation occur now on it's third generation where my parents
cabin is in the Yosemite area. It is a small community that once
thrived with retired couples that eventually realized they could no
longer handle the task of the 1 hour trips up and down the mountain to
the services (doctor, grocery store, etc.) and had to move closer to
it all. Not to mention the difficulty of the chores around the
cabin/house (firewod gets very hard to manage when you are in your mid
80's). The second wave of retired couples have now begun their
migration back leaving a gap for the third wave to fill. Each wave
takes on it's own personalities with the different people. I will
likley be in that third or fourth wave as while it is certainly a
temporary assingment, life is just that. I wish your friends well,
stay in touch with them and get to know the new people.

Allyn