warbler

Default Spiders

My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

On 18 Oct 2005 07:55:30 -0700, "warbler"
wrote:

My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

the spiders are there because there is food for them. look at their
web to see what it is that they are eating. if it's mosquitoes, check
the area for standing water. if you poison the spiders you'll just get
a population explosion of mosquitoes...
Teamcasa

"warbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

Mine was too. I set off one of the bug bombs. No spiders, or bugs of any
type.
All cautions apply. Cover all surfaces that could stain, the stuff is also
combustible. No open flames or heating sources.
Yada Yada Yada,

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
mac davis

On 18 Oct 2005 07:55:30 -0700, "warbler" wrote:

My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

I sort of seal up the shop every couple of weeks and use one of those bug
bombs... come back 4 hours later and dead spiders on the floor...

We have lots of black widows here, and you have to get rid of their food (other
spiders) to get rid of them.. I also keep a can of "one shot" spider spray on
the bench.. (found it at Home depot )

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

George

"warbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

You want to kill things that eat insects that eat wood? Why? Leave 'em be.
When they eat their way out of your house, they'll seek a new home.

Rob Mills

"warbler" wrote in message

I've been using the shop vac constantly but was seeking something more
lethal.

Ortho Home Defense, about $7.00 a gal (lasts a long time) at Home Depot. It
comes with a sprayer, can be used indoors or out and doesn't stain wall
paper or fabrics. I spray it around the baseboards in the house and garage
about twice a year. Haven't seen a critter since I started using it. RM~

DamnYankee

What do you with these things, feed them to the spiders? :-) Okay,
really, what do you do with them?

Bryan

Steve Peterson

"George" George@least wrote in message

"warbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

You want to kill things that eat insects that eat wood? Why? Leave 'em
be. When they eat their way out of your house, they'll seek a new home.

They are little critters with a cold blooded metabolism = they don't eat
much, although they will eat more if it is available. If there are any
children around, I would certainly try to get rid of black widows, brown
recluses, etc. Still a good idea to try to eliminate their food supply,
though.

Steve

Philip Lewis

"George" George@least writes:
You want to kill things that eat insects that eat wood? Why? Leave 'em be.

you didn't read the OP's post:

"warbler" wrote:
My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and

These must be them newly discovered wood eating spiders.
The little ones eat saw dust, but as they grow, then they move up to
wood shavings and eventually fight their way into your wood storage
area and chow down on your good stuff.

--
be safe.
flip

Clint

Cut them in a 1:x1"x12" spider whacking stick. Need a plan?

--
Clint
"DamnYankee" wrote in message
oups.com...
What do you with these things, feed them to the spiders? :-) Okay,
really, what do you do with them?

Bryan

Phisherman

wrote:

My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

If the spiders at that bothersome, at the end of the day spray all
along the baseboards and underneath cabinets, equipment, etc--most
will be dead by the following day. Keep in mind that the spiders are
generally a good thing--feeding on earwigs, roaches, flies, Asian
ladybugs, etc. Also, sweep the shop floor at the end of the day.
DamnYankee

I'll try it! I've got those long spindly legged spiders all over the
place. Damn I hate those things.

Bryan

brianlanning

I have a white powder I sprinkle on my lawn to keep the tigers away. I
have no tigers, so it must be working. :-)

brian

DamnYankee

Must be the same stuff I use for elephants! :-)

Bryan

mac davis

On 19 Oct 2005 07:48:07 -0700, "DamnYankee" wrote:

Must be the same stuff I use for elephants! :-)

Bryan

must be the same stuff that I use for young blondes...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Larry Jaques

On 19 Oct 2005 07:48:07 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"DamnYankee" quickly quoth:

Must be the same stuff I use for elephants! :-)

And which I use for Rhinos.

None have shown up here yet, though I was taken quite aback at the
strange steer which wandered up to my fence 3 years back. It turns out
that a nearby neighbor had an Emu ranch and one escaped, jumping into
the field next to me which usually contained only a handful of steers.

What a welcome to Oregon THAT was! g

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
foggytown

I don't do anything to rid my workshed of spiders. Hell, I need
SOMEONE to talk to while I'm making all that saw dust.

Now wasps, on the other hand . . .

FoggyTown

George

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a white powder I sprinkle on my lawn to keep the tigers away. I
have no tigers, so it must be working. :-)

Actually, if he's sprinkle borax, he'd kill a bunch.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

And which I use for Rhinos.

None have shown up here yet, though I was taken quite aback at the
strange steer which wandered up to my fence 3 years back. It turns out
that a nearby neighbor had an Emu ranch and one escaped, jumping into
the field next to me which usually contained only a handful of steers.

What a welcome to Oregon THAT was! g

You sure you didn't ingest a little of that wacky tobbacky they grow
down there in them mountain dells? Rhinos, emus and steers, yeah,
right...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05

I don't mind the spiders so much, but my shop is on the same floor as
my basement, and the wife and 3 daughters scream everytime they see a
wolf spider, and they get pretty big at my place. Here's a picture of
one I found before we finished the basement. I thought he was the
exception, but I've killed about 5 others this size at the place:

http://www.astutesolutions.net/image...0819_small.jpg

Upscale

wrote in message
I don't mind the spiders so much, but my shop is on the same floor as
my basement, and the wife and 3 daughters scream everytime they see a
wolf spider, and they get pretty big at my place.

Maybe you should tell your wife how spiders get rid of all sorts of other
bugs like flies, mosquitoes and a number of other pests.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:00:06 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Fly-by-Night CC quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

And which I use for Rhinos.

None have shown up here yet, though I was taken quite aback at the
strange steer which wandered up to my fence 3 years back. It turns out
that a nearby neighbor had an Emu ranch and one escaped, jumping into
the field next to me which usually contained only a handful of steers.

What a welcome to Oregon THAT was! g

You sure you didn't ingest a little of that wacky tobbacky they grow
down there in them mountain dells? Rhinos, emus and steers, yeah,
right...

Nope. I quit -all- that stuff just over 2 decades ago. But the powder
must be working: I haven't seen ANY rhinos here. Steers are a mainstay
on the nearby ranches, and the emu was a real fun photo op that day.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

George

"Upscale" wrote in message
wrote in message
I don't mind the spiders so much, but my shop is on the same floor as
my basement, and the wife and 3 daughters scream everytime they see a
wolf spider, and they get pretty big at my place.

Maybe you should tell your wife how spiders get rid of all sorts of other
bugs like flies, mosquitoes and a number of other pests.

Wolf spiders are stalkers. The web types, which the OP seems to have
implied with his "sawdust" reference, would feed on the mobile stuff.

No consolation to his wife, I'm sure, but the big ones help control mice.

Reminds me - time to set traps. Getting cold outside, and mice, like
spiders, will find a way in.

Her response would be that a bug guy would get rid of all of it. Thats
a big spider though. Anything smaller than a quarter I can see your
point, but when it gets that big and I'm worried about it jamming my
motors if it gets in it, I kill it . You can see a quarter next to
the thing that I threw next to it for scale.

There is one big green spider in our garage that she doesn't want me to
get rid of. :-) Its been dead for awhile though:

http://www.alfa-kars.com/owners_cars...green_full.jpg

mac davis

On 20 Oct 2005 05:36:02 -0700, wrote:

There is one big green spider in our garage that she doesn't want me to
get rid of. :-) Its been dead for awhile though:

http://www.alfa-kars.com/owners_cars...green_full.jpg

damn, must have a web somewhere.... check for eggs!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

lol! Yeah really. It does eat oil when its alive.

mike hide

"warbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
My workshop is plagued by spiders. They capture lots of saw dust and
other dust. While the cold weather should help, any suggestions on
ridding my shop of this pest? I've been using the shop vac constantly
but was seeking something more lethal. And I don't care about a few
carcinogens.

If you leave them alone they will grow up to be dust bunnies, and even later
they will become tumbleweeds. At that point you just open the door turn on
the old leaf blower and out they go

On the other hand, if the wife is handy at this stage she can make small
baskets out of them, and sell them for profit .Perhaps she could be
persuaded to plough some of those profits back into the shop as new
equipment, just a thought......mjh

mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...
lol! Yeah really. It does eat oil when its alive.

It probably does not have time, spends most of it's time surfing the
web.......mjh