Duane Bozarth

Default Stanley No 194 Description?

I just today stumbled across a Stanley No 194. I'd never seen one
before. I found it described as a fibreboard beveler but was unable to
find a description of how it operates or a large enough picture to be
able to tell.

It appears this one may be missing the actual cutter although the fence
assembly is present I can't for the life of me decide how it must have
worked. Anybody got more information?

Duane Bozarth wrote:
I just today stumbled across a Stanley No 194. I'd never seen one
before. I found it described as a fibreboard beveler but was unable to
find a description of how it operates or a large enough picture to be
able to tell.

It appears this one may be missing the actual cutter although the fence
assembly is present I can't for the life of me decide how it must have
worked. Anybody got more information?

If haven't looked here yet, check this page out:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan13.htm

Unfortunately information of the # 194 seems sparse.

--

FF

Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
I just today stumbled across a Stanley No 194. I'd never seen one
before. I found it described as a fibreboard beveler but was unable to
find a description of how it operates or a large enough picture to be
able to tell.

It appears this one may be missing the actual cutter although the fence
assembly is present I can't for the life of me decide how it must have
worked. Anybody got more information?

If haven't looked here yet, check this page out:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan13.htm

Thanks, I hadn't found that particularl one.

Unfortunately information of the # 194 seems sparse.

That seems to be an understatement...

I saw another (not quite so melodramatic g) description of the
function previously and a small (thumbnail, in essence) overview picture
but I still don't know exactly how the blade looked or how it was
held...

Looks as though it may be collectible simply from the scarcity
standpoint but probably of little other value/use....
Limey Lurker

Anybody got more information?

Is that the same as the one on eBay collectables?

Duane Bozarth

Limey Lurker wrote:

Anybody got more information?

Is that the same as the one on eBay collectables?

Don't know...which one might that be?

Duane Bozarth

Limey Lurker wrote:

Anybody got more information?

Is that the same as the one on eBay collectables?

Or, if you mean is it listed on eBay, no...
Dave Balderstone

In article , Duane Bozarth
wrote:

I saw another (not quite so melodramatic g) description of the
function previously and a small (thumbnail, in essence) overview picture
but I still don't know exactly how the blade looked or how it was
held...

I inherited one from Grandpa. He had a drywall knife blade in it when I
got it.

Limey Lurker

Limey Lurker wrote:

Anybody got more information?

Is that the same as the one on eBay collectables?

Or, if you mean is it listed on eBay, no...

Sorry, I should have said, "Is it similar to the one listed on eBay
collectables?"

Duane Bozarth

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Duane Bozarth
wrote:

I saw another (not quite so melodramatic g) description of the
function previously and a small (thumbnail, in essence) overview picture
but I still don't know exactly how the blade looked or how it was
held...

I inherited one from Grandpa. He had a drywall knife blade in it when I
got it.

Is there just a bed iron screwed to the bevel that clamps the blade in?
Duane Bozarth

Limey Lurker wrote:

Limey Lurker wrote:

Anybody got more information?

Is that the same as the one on eBay collectables?

Or, if you mean is it listed on eBay, no...

Sorry, I should have said, "Is it similar to the one listed on eBay
collectables?"

Ah...yes, that's it--that one also appears to be missing a blade.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Is there just a bed iron screwed to the bevel that clamps the blade in?

Yes. I can snap a pic if it would help, but on the one I have it's just
a piece of bar steel that screws down to the bevel and hold the blade.

djb

Duane Bozarth

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Is there just a bed iron screwed to the bevel that clamps the blade in?

Yes. I can snap a pic if it would help, but on the one I have it's just
a piece of bar steel that screws down to the bevel and hold the blade.

OK, Dave, thanks--that answers my question of "how the heck did this
thing work".

This one has the bed iron, just no blade and I was trying to visualize
what/how it was supposed to be used (and used for).

Unfortunately, while something of a curiousity, I see no gain in having
found it...
Dave Balderstone

In article , Duane Bozarth
wrote:

OK, Dave, thanks--that answers my question of "how the heck did this
thing work".

This one has the bed iron, just no blade and I was trying to visualize
what/how it was supposed to be used (and used for).

Unfortunately, while something of a curiousity, I see no gain in having
found it...

Yeah, the only reason I have one is that it came from Gramps. It''s
not even worth the effor to sell on eBay, AFAICT.

djb