Tom H

Default UP or Down Cut Sprial Bits

I have never used a spiral bit but hear they are great to work with.

I'm looking to purchase a spiral bit set from Infinity & can't afford both
the Up & Down cut set.
..
Any suggestions on whether one should purchase UP or DOWN cut bits

I'm going to use them for multi-purpose cutting of various woods & man made
panels.

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1121

Morris Dovey

Tom H (in ) said:

| I have never used a spiral bit but hear they are great to work with.
|
| I'm looking to purchase a spiral bit set from Infinity & can't
| afford both the Up & Down cut set.
| .
| Any suggestions on whether one should purchase UP or DOWN cut bits
|
| I'm going to use them for multi-purpose cutting of various woods &
| man made panels.
|
| http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1121

Up spirals are good for chip removal and smooth bottom edges on
through cuts.

Down spirals are good for pushing the stock down, smooth cut bottoms,
and smooth top edges.

I use 'em both (in solid carbide) in a CNC router; but only when I
need one or more of their particular strengths - otherwise I prefer
straight (HSS with carbide edge) bits because they're less expensive
both to buy and to have re-sharpened.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Steve Peterson

Good answer, Morris. What it comes down to is this: one spiral bit, up or
down cut, can't be optimal for all applications. You need to decide what
you want to do, and get the best one for that use. If what you really want
is some experience with one, either will do, but keep in mind that it will
do some things better than others.

Steve
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Tom H (in ) said:

| I have never used a spiral bit but hear they are great to work with.
|
| I'm looking to purchase a spiral bit set from Infinity & can't
| afford both the Up & Down cut set.
| .
| Any suggestions on whether one should purchase UP or DOWN cut bits
|
| I'm going to use them for multi-purpose cutting of various woods &
| man made panels.
|
| http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1121

Up spirals are good for chip removal and smooth bottom edges on
through cuts.

Down spirals are good for pushing the stock down, smooth cut bottoms,
and smooth top edges.

I use 'em both (in solid carbide) in a CNC router; but only when I
need one or more of their particular strengths - otherwise I prefer
straight (HSS with carbide edge) bits because they're less expensive
both to buy and to have re-sharpened.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

SonomaProducts.com

I know we use one for in the table and one for handheld but I can never
remember which is which. The reason for the difference is which way we
want the chips to fly. I think its up cut in the table to pull the
chips down into the table so the dust box can get them and down on the
handheld to push them away from the face and toward the floor.

Never Enough Money

The infinity web page
(http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1089) says
"Upcut spirals clear chips from the kerf and allow faster feed rates
than downcut spirals. Downcut spirals push wood fibers down for a
cleaner top surface."

Tom H wrote:
I have never used a spiral bit but hear they are great to work with.

I'm looking to purchase a spiral bit set from Infinity & can't afford both
the Up & Down cut set.
.
Any suggestions on whether one should purchase UP or DOWN cut bits

I'm going to use them for multi-purpose cutting of various woods & man made
panels.

http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1121

Jay Pique

And then there are the up & downcut spirals....

JP

dadiOH

Tom H wrote:
I have never used a spiral bit but hear they are great to work with.

I'm looking to purchase a spiral bit set from Infinity & can't afford
both the Up & Down cut set.
.
Any suggestions on whether one should purchase UP or DOWN cut bits

I prefer down because they leave a clean edge. With some woods, up cut
will leave you with lots of fuzz.

Downside to them is that if you take too big a bite (and/or collet is
worn) they can actually come creeping out of the collet giving you a
deeper - sometimes LOTS deeper - cut than you planned.

If I were you I wouldn't buy a set...I'd buy 2-3 each of upcut/downcut.
Buy the smallest you will likely need plus another wider. In my case,
that is 1/4 and 1/2. Others might prefer 1/8 and 3/8. Depends on what
you want to use them for.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey (in ) said:

| "Up" and "down" only make sense in the context of a router above the
| work (as with a hand-held router).
|
| Up spirals pull the bits toward the shank end.
| Down spirals push the bits away from the shank.

Obviously not enough coffee. "bits" should have been "chips".

8-P

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

George

Morris Dovey (in ) said:

| "Up" and "down" only make sense in the context of a router above the
| work (as with a hand-held router).
|
| Up spirals pull the bits toward the shank end.
| Down spirals push the bits away from the shank.

Obviously not enough coffee. "bits" should have been "chips".

Bits are pulled in the opposite direction, aren't they?

I like the shear for clean cuts when edging or pattern routing with router
up or down, and the cooler and smoother results from the up spiral chip
ejection when mortising.

Doesn't chatter a thin piece as much as a two-flute, either.

On 9 Oct 2005 02:59:19 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

The infinity web page
(http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1089) says
"Upcut spirals clear chips from the kerf and allow faster feed rates
than downcut spirals.

that's true for blind, non-through cuts. if the bit is clearing the
back of the work it's not true.