J T

Default Paint Stripping Question

My research continues, in my search for something that will strip
paint, won't eat my brain, and doesn't require disposal in a toxic waste
dump.

I've been looking for washing soda (socium carbonate), to try, but
haven't found anything labeled that. Arm & Hammer soap granules
contains it, and if that won't work, I can always use it to wash
clothes. But I've got 3 jugs of liquid clothes soap, so passed for now.

This evening, in the grocery store, I saw drain cleaners, and
remembered lye is sold to clear drains, and can strip paint. I also
remembered reading about gel paint strippers (with lye) - can brush on,
the gel keeps it moist - caustic, of course, but it won't dissolve your
brain. I only found one type, in the stores I checked, priced $30+ a
gallon, the only size they had. Way pricey for me.

I don't care to mess with lye crystals, so checked gel cleaners.
Draino Max Gel, seemed promising, it has sodium hydroxide (lye), and
sodium hypochlorite (a bleaching agent). Didn't buy, as I knew I had
something at home. Liquid-Plumr Gel, and basically the same
ingredients.

I haven't tried it yet, because I can't think of anything painted
I'm willing to experiment on. When I do, I'll check it out.

So, my questions are;
Has anyone here tried any of these gels for paint stripping?
And, if so, how did well did it work?

JOAT
The Truth Shall Set Ye Fret

www.silentpaintremover.com

No affiliation, just have used it before with fantastic results.
Better than the chemicals (which I have also used.).

J T

Sun, Oct 2, 2005, 5:22am (EDT-3)
doth sayeth:
www.silentpaintremover.com
No affiliation, just have used it before with fantastic results. Better
than the chemicals (which I have also used.).

No thanks, not what I'm interested in.

JOAT
The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Roy

JOAT,

Arm & Hammer markets their sodium carbonate under the name "Super Washing Soda" in a yellow box
about the size of a small box of Grape Nuts. Never tried it as a paint stripper. I use a
tablespoon in a gallon or so of water for electrolysis of rusty planes I occasionally drag home from
the flea market.

Fels Naphtha used to sell a laundry bar that was essentially nothing but caustic soda (lye, sodium
hydroxide). I don't know if it is still available or not.

I talked with an antique dealer in Newport, Tennessee last summer who is a good friend to my Mom.
One of the many topics was what he recommended for homeowners doing refinishing, and what did he use
in his business. His answer was something like "Use what I use. Whatever's cheapest at Wal-mart."
We've been following that advice since then.

Chemical strippers work. Just do it outside. Wipe the old paint off on newspaper and let it dry
before putting it in the trash.

Here is a great site with a wealth of info. Many, many articles. Somewhere here, you, the Master
of Internet Seachdom, must find something that will help.

http://antiquerestorers.com/FAQ.htm

Good luck, hope this helps, and pays back a little for all the great links you've posted for the
group.

Roy

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 02:55:56 -0400, (J T) wrote:

[...]

Stripping Wallpaper from a wall with lead paint David Home Repair 3 September 11th 05 07:42 AM
Paint question al UK diy 5 March 31st 05 02:13 PM
Interior Paint prep question Gary Stone Home Repair 17 March 26th 05 09:07 PM
Paint stripping Philip Clark UK diy 0 December 13th 04 10:44 AM
Paint for basement walls question Dave Home Repair 6 March 19th 04 07:36 PM