J T

Default Paint Stripping Question

My research continues, in my search for something that will strip
paint, won't eat my brain, and doesn't require disposal in a toxic waste
dump.

I've been looking for washing soda (socium carbonate), to try, but
haven't found anything labeled that. Arm & Hammer soap granules
contains it, and if that won't work, I can always use it to wash
clothes. But I've got 3 jugs of liquid clothes soap, so passed for now.

This evening, in the grocery store, I saw drain cleaners, and
remembered lye is sold to clear drains, and can strip paint. I also
remembered reading about gel paint strippers (with lye) - can brush on,
the gel keeps it moist - caustic, of course, but it won't dissolve your
brain. I only found one type, in the stores I checked, priced $30+ a
gallon, the only size they had. Way pricey for me.

I don't care to mess with lye crystals, so checked gel cleaners.
Draino Max Gel, seemed promising, it has sodium hydroxide (lye), and
sodium hypochlorite (a bleaching agent). Didn't buy, as I knew I had
something at home. Liquid-Plumr Gel, and basically the same
ingredients.

I haven't tried it yet, because I can't think of anything painted
I'm willing to experiment on. When I do, I'll check it out.

So, my questions are;
Has anyone here tried any of these gels for paint stripping?
And, if so, how did well did it work?

JOAT
The Truth Shall Set Ye Fret