Default rheostat with router/ effective?

I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket variable speed thing for an
older bosch 3 1/4 horse router [1611]. do they work well? do they go
from zero? do you guess the rpm by sound? I'm doing this so i can
safely run panel bits in a table. any info will help...thanks.

George

wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket variable speed thing for an
older bosch 3 1/4 horse router [1611]. do they work well? do they go
from zero? do you guess the rpm by sound? I'm doing this so i can
safely run panel bits in a table. any info will help...thanks.

Don't want a resistive, rather a "chopper." It'll slow a universal motor
down all right, and you could get a tach setup off of the number of
commutator bars and a brush. But why bother?

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 08:39:42 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket variable speed thing for an
older bosch 3 1/4 horse router [1611]. do they work well? do they go
from zero? do you guess the rpm by sound? I'm doing this so i can
safely run panel bits in a table. any info will help...thanks.

Don't want a resistive, rather a "chopper." It'll slow a universal motor
down all right, and you could get a tach setup off of the number of
commutator bars and a brush. But why bother?

because the router runs too fast for the larger bits.

Charley

A resistive type of voltage reducer (rheostat) is the wrong thing to buy
because it will not only reduce the speed of the router but the power too. A
speed controller that is designed for controlling the speed of routers and
other brush type motors sends full voltage to the motor to maintain full
power, but it does so in short pulses that vary in width as the speed
setting is changed. These controllers will allow you to set a lower speed,
but still have the power that you need. The knob is usually marked 0-100
meaning % of full speed. This is more than close enough to get the speed
that you need for running panel raising bits. These controllers work great
from about 25% to 100% but are significantly less effective at controlling
speed between 0% and about 25%.

--
Charley

wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket variable speed thing for an
older bosch 3 1/4 horse router [1611]. do they work well? do they go
from zero? do you guess the rpm by sound? I'm doing this so i can
safely run panel bits in a table. any info will help...thanks.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:59:26 GMT, "Charley"
wrote:

A resistive type of voltage reducer (rheostat) is the wrong thing to buy
because it will not only reduce the speed of the router but the power too. A
speed controller that is designed for controlling the speed of routers and
other brush type motors sends full voltage to the motor to maintain full
power, but it does so in short pulses that vary in width as the speed
setting is changed. These controllers will allow you to set a lower speed,
but still have the power that you need. The knob is usually marked 0-100
meaning % of full speed. This is more than close enough to get the speed
that you need for running panel raising bits. These controllers work great
from about 25% to 100% but are significantly less effective at controlling
speed between 0% and about 25%.

thanks you, that's very helpfull, if that's a percentage thats roughly
accurate it should be all i'll need. thank again

George

wrote in message
But why bother?

because the router runs too fast for the larger bits.

You'll put 1/3 the cost of a new variable speed, soft-start, constant-speed
feedback router into gizmos, but won't consider replacement?

The gain is great.