edog

Default unexpected introduction to kickback

Greetings all,

I purchased a small tablesaw a few weeks ago to rip some lumber and
everything had been going great. Thi past weekend I experienced
kickback in the worse way. I've always read about it but I never
thought it would happen to me.

I was crosscuting a 2x4 of all things and a piece just flew out of the
table saw and was thrown 40 feet past my head. I couldn't believe what
I saw. I'm thinking it was a freak accident.

I go forth and do furhter crosscuts and this time I was standing in
front of the saw. More wood was thrown from the saw except this time it
me directly on the "johnson". I was seeing stars and hearing orchestral
music after that one.

Luckily, the wood missed the "twins" (which would have nearly killed
me), but it got the "johnson" and boy did it hurt. I've learned since
then to stand to the side of the saw if possible in the event kickback
occurs.

Swingman

"edog" wrote in message

I was crosscuting a 2x4 of all things and a piece just flew out of the
table saw and was thrown 40 feet past my head. I couldn't believe what
I saw. I'm thinking it was a freak accident.

From your description there is nothing "freak" about it. From what you've
posted, it looks more like the clueless use of a dangerous tool. If that
sounds harsh, it will pale by comparison with missing digits, a hand, or
even death from pierced intestines

As you have found out, a table saw is a singularly **** poor crosscutting
device, unless you use a miter gauge or well designed crosscut sled, with
the later being safer.

I've learned since then to stand to the side of the saw
if possible in the event kickback occurs.

You have been lucky thus far, and even the above won't help much more. Take
it to heart and quit until you learn more about the methods and ways to use
the table saw safely.

There are some good books available with a minimum amount of search.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Mike Marlow

"edog" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You need to spend some time with someone and learn how to use a tablesaw.
It takes absolutely no effort to cross cut on a tablesaw without risking
kickback - you are doing something very wrong.

--

-Mike-

Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:09:17 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"edog" wrote in message

I was crosscuting a 2x4 of all things and a piece just flew out of the
table saw and was thrown 40 feet past my head. I couldn't believe what
I saw. I'm thinking it was a freak accident.

From your description there is nothing "freak" about it. From what you've
posted, it looks more like the clueless use of a dangerous tool. If that
sounds harsh, it will pale by comparison with missing digits, a hand, or
even death from pierced intestines

As you have found out, a table saw is a singularly **** poor crosscutting
device, unless you use a miter gauge or well designed crosscut sled, with
the later being safer.

I've learned since then to stand to the side of the saw
if possible in the event kickback occurs.

You have been lucky thus far, and even the above won't help much more. Take
it to heart and quit until you learn more about the methods and ways to use
the table saw safely.

There are some good books available with a minimum amount of search.

I don't know Swing, sounds a lot like somebody taking advantage of
high tide and a good fishing moon. Casting it out and reeling them
in. Either that or a Darwin award candidate.

You be careful down there.

Frank
Dave W

I believe there are two ways to have kickback when crosscutting. One is to
not use a miter gauge and the other is to use both a miter gauge and fence
at the same time. Results can be very bloody!
Dave

edog

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I don't know what happened. I ripped quite a
bit of lumber in that time frame without incident. It could have been
an issue with the splitter being out of alignment.

Jois

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I don't know what happened. I ripped quite a
bit of lumber in that time frame without incident. It could have been
an issue with the splitter being out of alignment.

When the splitter is out of alignment the wood won't go any further. Read
what Swingman said again.

Josie

Toller

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I don't know what happened. I ripped quite a
bit of lumber in that time frame without incident. It could have been
an issue with the splitter being out of alignment.

I hope you are a troll. If not, please don't use power tools until you get
some instruction.

Stephen M

"Dave W" wrote in message
I believe there are two ways to have kickback when crosscutting. One is

not use a miter gauge and the other is to use both a miter gauge and fence
at the same time. Results can be very bloody!
Dave

One mo using the rip fence to crosscut.

edog

CW,

I do believe that's what I might have done. Can someone explain why
that happens ? Unknowingly, this had to be an idiotic thing to do but
please refrain from insults . I just wasn't aware of it.

Thanks

Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

You be careful down there.

Thanks, Frank ... we're starting to feel a little like a deer in the
crosshairs down here.

A big plus is all the neighbors are pitching in and helping each other out
.... Tom Watson could write a book about the finer side of human behavior
I've seen the past three days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Swingman

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=317

http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/hsafety/pro.../tablesaw.html

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Stephen M

Kickback happens the rear of the saw blade makes (significant) contact with
the workpiece or offcut. The front of the blade pushes down and forward
(this is good). The back of the blade pushes *UP* and forward (this is bad).

When things are going right, the back of the blade rides in the kerf (the
hole you just cut in the board). When workpiece or cutoff twists in such a
way that the back of the blade can makes contact, then the wood is lifted
and thrown forward (kickback).

In your specific situation, if the offcut is trapped between the rip fence
and the blade. A little bit of vibration can cause the offcut to touch the
blade. Think about what happens then that offcut rotates counter-clockwise.
(Try this in slow motion with the saw turned off if you must) The leading
edge of that offcut pinches even more and makes better contact with the rear
of the blade, resulting in P-twang! The next thing you know, your bowel
feels refreshingly unencumbered.

Always let your offcut fall away from the blade; never trap it.

-Steve

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
CW,

I do believe that's what I might have done. Can someone explain why
that happens ? Unknowingly, this had to be an idiotic thing to do but
please refrain from insults . I just wasn't aware of it.

Thanks

Most likely crosscuting using the fence - either use a standoff block
if using the fence for spacing/positioning OR just use the miter gauge
and do NOT have the wood in contact with the fence at all. Crosscut
sled would be an even better idea

John

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:50:16 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Using miter gauge and FENCE with narrow stuff can catch/trap the wood
between the fence and the blade, and bingo - kickback

You CAN use the fence and a miter gauge together safely, just clamp a
short piece of plywood/etc to the fence at least 6inched in front of
the forward edge of the blade, so that you reference for repeated cuts
on the added piece of wood on the fence, but your 2x4 (or whatever) is
clear of the added wood when it finishes the cut - thus the cutoff is
no longer able to be trapped between the fence and the blade

John

On 23 Sep 2005 10:44:53 -0700, "edog" wrote:

CW,

I do believe that's what I might have done. Can someone explain why
that happens ? Unknowingly, this had to be an idiotic thing to do but
please refrain from insults . I just wasn't aware of it.

Thanks

Dhakala

edog wrote:
Luckily, the wood missed the "twins" (which would have nearly killed
me), but it got the "johnson" and boy did it hurt. I've learned since
then to stand to the side of the saw if possible in the event kickback
occurs.

Pendel: "...and do we dress to the right or left sir?... "

Osnard: "Never know where the bloody thing is. Bobs around like a wind
sock."

http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=1303

If you are crosscutting and the wood goes anyware near a splitter you
need to TURN THE SAW OFF and learn to read a good book on safe use of
the table saw.

You have been very very lucky. Your luck is not likely to be as good in
the long run.

Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you are crosscutting and the wood goes anyware near a splitter you
need to TURN THE SAW OFF and learn to read a good book on safe use of
the table saw.

Why would the wood passing the splitter cause a problem - with cross cutting
or with ripping?

--

-Mike-

charlie b

Guess it's time to post this url again. Most of what's been
said, plus some AND diagrams with colors and arrows.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

Lacking a sliding table for the table saw, it's probably
much safer to just get and use a miter saw - with
hold downs.

BTW - NEVER use a miter saw to cut WITH the grain.
If you think a table saw kickback is scary, you'll
be absolutely terrified, when you stop bleeding
and regain consciousness. DAMHIKT - but the
metal fence on my 12" SCMS had to be replaced

charlie b

better to gain and actually use knowledge
than to become a familiar face at the
local emergency room.
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:40:06 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Swingman (in ) said:

| "Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
|
|| You be careful down there.
|
| Thanks, Frank ... we're starting to feel a little like a deer in the
| crosshairs down here.
|
| A big plus is all the neighbors are pitching in and helping each
| other out ... Tom Watson could write a book about the finer side of
| human behavior I've seen the past three days.

Encouraging, isn't it? In 1993 we had major flooding here. On the
first night one of the local TV anchors reported that he'd had a phone
call to the effect that a few volunteers to fill sandbags would be
appreciated. I was there in less than five minutes - and five minutes
after that I glanced behind me to see a line of at least ten people
waiting for a turn with the shovel I was using. Three sandbags later
they started asking: "Aren't you tired /yet/?"

I found out later that the call for "a few volunteers" brought out
more than 8,000 people. We lost the battle with the rising rivers; but
I've never felt more proud of my neighbors. If you can, snap pictures
of those helping others...

Stay safe.

I spent 10 out of the last 20 days down in Gulfport helping out my
coastal relatives and getting some of my submerged stored woodworking
machines out of a warehouse to bring back hopefully for restoration.

I couldn't turn around without a volunteer group wanting to help me.
People from all over the country.

I wonder why the media doesn't cover that. Sure spend a lot of air
time on that one percent that are prone to criminal activity during a
disaster.

Frank
Swingman

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I spent 10 out of the last 20 days down in Gulfport helping out my
coastal relatives and getting some of my submerged stored woodworking
machines out of a warehouse to bring back hopefully for restoration.

I couldn't turn around without a volunteer group wanting to help me.
People from all over the country.

I wonder why the media doesn't cover that. Sure spend a lot of air
time on that one percent that are prone to criminal activity during a
disaster.

Not sensational enough for news coverage.

What was remarkable to me this time around was the startling difference in
the news coverage of the _approach_ of Rita between cable networks/CNN/Fox,
et al, and the local stations here in Houston.

All three of the Houston stations, and in particular Dr Neal Frank and Frank
Billingsley, were spot on with their conservative, common sense track and
force predictions. The cable networks had to throw in tragi-sensationalism
in their predictions with the likes of Joe *******i, and that other gleeful
sounding jerk on Fox.

*******i, in particular, lost a lot of credibility in my book despite his
supposed weather wizard status on Fox. He missed both Katrina and Rita by
miles, but you would have sworn he was god's gift to meteorologists' with
his arrogant forecasts of the track and force of both storms.

Consider that they all get 99.9% of their information from the same Federal
agency, and you can clearly see the sensationalistic spin of ALL the tragedy
TV (cable) networks.

On that note, we're still getting some pretty good howling gusts here close
to downtown Houston, but the worst wind appears to be fading ... here's
hoping the creeks don't rise.

Best of all, my beloved little shop is intact, equipment is high and dry,
and both checks of the finished, but unclosed upon, new residential
construction at 3 and 7 AM showed no damage.

Still a little too early to be smug ... however, I do feel better, even with
no sleep, for the first time in 72 hours.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:39:04 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I spent 10 out of the last 20 days down in Gulfport helping out my
coastal relatives and getting some of my submerged stored woodworking
machines out of a warehouse to bring back hopefully for restoration.

I couldn't turn around without a volunteer group wanting to help me.
People from all over the country.

I wonder why the media doesn't cover that. Sure spend a lot of air
time on that one percent that are prone to criminal activity during a
disaster.

Not sensational enough for news coverage.

Yep. That, and it's hard to bring down the sitting president with those
kinds of stories.

What was remarkable to me this time around was the startling difference in
the news coverage of the _approach_ of Rita between cable networks/CNN/Fox,
et al, and the local stations here in Houston.

All three of the Houston stations, and in particular Dr Neal Frank and Frank
Billingsley, were spot on with their conservative, common sense track and
force predictions.

Probably because they also live there, so they have a personal interest
in getting the story right. Having a panic on their hands is not in their
best interests.

The cable networks had to throw in tragi-sensationalism
in their predictions with the likes of Joe *******i, and that other gleeful
sounding jerk on Fox.

*******i, in particular, lost a lot of credibility in my book despite his
supposed weather wizard status on Fox. He missed both Katrina and Rita by
miles, but you would have sworn he was god's gift to meteorologists' with
his arrogant forecasts of the track and force of both storms.

Consider that they all get 99.9% of their information from the same Federal
agency, and you can clearly see the sensationalistic spin of ALL the tragedy
TV (cable) networks.

Part of the problem lies in the fact that we *have* 24 hour news channels
-- they need to fill up the time with something. Scratch that, with
something interesting to a broad audience. Mix in the fact that there is
significant competition with Fox, CNN, and MSNBC and you can't have a 24
hour news station delivering facts and information with the vim and pep of
C-SPAN -- you'd be killed in the ratings and eventually drummed off the
air. Thus, you get all these cable channels rushing to the scene of a
potential disaster, setting up shop to show how daring the reporters are,
then making apocalyptic predictions to keep people glued to their coverage.
Unfortunately, human nature plays a role in this as well, too many people
want to see disaster (just not in their neighborhood), so you have people
glued to the reports that get provide the biggest vicarious "excitement" to
the viewers. So you get people like Geraldo and his counterparts from the
other channels trying to outdo each other in how close to the hurricane and
flooding they can get without actually drowning (that would probably be
counterproductive for them -- for the viewers, we can discuss that later
:-) )

OTOH, this serves as a good data point. Look at the coverage you are
seeing from something for which you have personal knowledge. Now, apply
that same consideration when you see coverage of various events such as the
war in Iraq.

On that note, we're still getting some pretty good howling gusts here close
to downtown Houston, but the worst wind appears to be fading ... here's
hoping the creeks don't rise.

Best of all, my beloved little shop is intact, equipment is high and dry,
and both checks of the finished, but unclosed upon, new residential
construction at 3 and 7 AM showed no damage.

Still a little too early to be smug ... however, I do feel better, even with
no sleep, for the first time in 72 hours.

Glad to hear it; our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone down
there.

Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

OTOH, this serves as a good data point. Look at the coverage you are
seeing from something for which you have personal knowledge. Now, apply
that same consideration when you see coverage of various events such as

the
war in Iraq.

That was an excellent analysis, Mark ... the first time anyone is involved
with a news story they are almost always shocked at the difference between
the event and the reportage.

.... and 'the most ridiculous item of the day': Bill O'Reilly stating flat
out, unequivocally, that "Houston is abandoned".

Hyperbole is the coin of the media realm.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

ks

BTW - NEVER use a miter saw to cut WITH the grain.
If you think a table saw kickback is scary, you'll
be absolutely terrified, when you stop bleeding
and regain consciousness. DAMHIKT - but the
metal fence on my 12" SCMS had to be replaced

charlie b

Ok, I am assuming you tried to rip (with grain) with a scms. Not that I'd
ever try it anyway, but please explain how it is more dangerous than
crosscutting operation.
Thanks

Patriarch

"Swingman" wrote in
:

snip
That was an excellent analysis, Mark ... the first time anyone is
involved with a news story they are almost always shocked at the
difference between the event and the reportage.

... and 'the most ridiculous item of the day': Bill O'Reilly stating
flat out, unequivocally, that "Houston is abandoned".

Hyperbole is the coin of the media realm.

Particularly from that corner of the realm.

Glad you and yours are pretty much OK.

Patriarch,
in California, wakened at 4:25 am by a 3.2 quake. Back to sleep by 5:15
am.

Charlie Self

Swingman wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

OTOH, this serves as a good data point. Look at the coverage you are
seeing from something for which you have personal knowledge. Now, apply
that same consideration when you see coverage of various events such as

the
war in Iraq.

That was an excellent analysis, Mark ... the first time anyone is involved
with a news story they are almost always shocked at the difference between
the event and the reportage.

... and 'the most ridiculous item of the day': Bill O'Reilly stating flat
out, unequivocally, that "Houston is abandoned".

Hyperbole is the coin of the media realm.

Good to see you came through it OK.

As someone said, part of the problem with so many news sources being
available is the need to fill the air. We now have reporting that is
similar to the breathless/hard breathing nonsense imparted by sports
announcers, who seem to have no tonal qualities whatsover between an
awe-inspired whisper or a shout (why do they have mikes?). Our TV is
out--I keep forgetting to get new straps for the antenna when I'm in
town--the old ones broke when the roofers removed the unit 8 or 10 days
ago--so I only get snippets of coverage. Sitting in a local restaurant
for lunch the other day, I wondered why whatever local or semi-local
channel it was had at least THREE reporters out in the storm getting
blown all around, losing sound, just generally making idiots of
themselves. I mean, we already know it is windy and wet. Does some 110
pound woman getting wet and knocked around amplify that knowledge? This
stuff is right up there with the local dim bulb who climbed into the
Virginia Tech wind tunnel during Katrina. At least the wind tunnel lady
wasn't putting herself in a position where someone else might have to
risk life and limb to haul her out.

Oh, yeah. There was some commentary about having escape routes,
helicopters and so forth, supplied. I know technology has advance since
I work on choppers something like 40 years ago, but I'd be willing to
wager ain't none of them flying in hurricane strength wind. IIRC, 35
MPH was iffy.

Swingman

"Charlie Self"wrote in message

Good to see you came through it OK.

I appreciate the concern, Charlie ... gotta say it was really nice to wake
up this morning to what should be a "normal" day (at our age however, you
never know).

You do appreciate the humdrum a bit more when you've had a clear view of the
bullet dodged.

Other than a bit of debris cleanup, removing boards, etc., I think I will
unpack the shop and sit out there for a while, a la JOAT, just enjoying the
look, feel and smell. Nothing like a bit of woodshop ambience.

Virginia Tech wind tunnel during Katrina. At least the wind tunnel lady
wasn't putting herself in a position where someone else might have to
risk life and limb to haul her out.

Yep ... a big thanks to the inventor of the 'remote'.

As much as I dislike most TV programming, the weathercasts during the run up
to the storm were invaluable. Having been through a number of hurricanes,
and faced with a limited supply of materials, just knowing which side of a
house to board/shore up those last few hours (when the landfall models
started converging) was a tremendous help.

Knowing that Rita was hitting to the East, therefore the strongest winds
would be out of the North, saved a bunch of wear and tear on me.

Oh, yeah. There was some commentary about having escape routes,
helicopters and so forth, supplied. I know technology has advance since
I work on choppers something like 40 years ago, but I'd be willing to
wager ain't none of them flying in hurricane strength wind. IIRC, 35
MPH was iffy.

Nothing has changed about that ... even the news choppers were moved far
away and didn't get back into operation until late yesterday evening.

About time for Leon to check in ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/17/05

Joel Stroud, NC -SC Licensed attorney: New Member Introduction Attorney Home Repair 15 September 14th 05 02:52 AM
2007 homeseller survey introduction [email protected] UK diy 15 June 7th 05 08:10 PM
Planer Kickback Gary Woodworking 22 June 3rd 05 03:32 AM
(",) NEAT MOVIE FLICK ! (it starts up quickly)(awesome introduction)... [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 5th 05 09:52 PM
Introduction Robert Allison Woodworking 10 November 28th 04 07:20 AM