BillyBob

Default OT... Is it just me? Sand bags in the winter.

wrote in message

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Because all we care about in here is wood related things, not sandbags.

Upscale

wrote in message

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Because the rest of us live down in Florida where hurricanes are more of a
concern than snow.

George

"BillyBob" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote in message

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Because all we care about in here is wood related things, not sandbags.

I keep some 4' sections of hard maple in the back of my pickup.

If I were carrying a bag of anything, it'd be chicken grit. Sharp, and
instant traction....

Knothead

I just put an 8' piece of steel on the front of my truck in the snow, says
"Western" on it. What I haven't figured out is if I am required to where my
cowboy hat when driving with it on. Don't seem to have any trouble with snow
what so ever though....

knothead

Knothead

No, I have limited slip rear axle.

If that's not enough, I can activate 4WD and my electrically locking
rear differential. G

Limited slip and a locker? Fanatic....;-)

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

When I had a rear-wheel drive, I used to carry one-gallon plastic jugs
of cat litter (the ones you see in supermarkets). It added some weight
and if I found myself stuck on ice somewhere, it made for an excellent
traction mechanism (just pour it out). The one-gallon size made it
easier to work with.

However ... cat litter does make a real mess if you get it on your boots
and track it into the house. Stucco chips sound like they would have
been a better option.

Heck .. we live in New Mexico now. We don't get enough ice down here to
consider the problem anymore!

Jack

pe wrote:

How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the winter?
For fifteen years I have been using bags of small stucco chips instead.
They are cheaper than the dirty sandbags sold around here.
50 pound bag of stucco chips is $3.50
They don't mess up your vehicle even if they spill. Nice clean white rocks easy
to clean up.
They don't freeze into a solid lump.
They don't get your hands all filthy if you need to throw some under the tires
for traction.
And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.

Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using them.g

George Max

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:02:41 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

wrote in message

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Because the rest of us live down in Florida where hurricanes are more of a
concern than snow.

I see. So you have need for more than a couple of sandbags.

I'll take the snow, thank you anyway.
Jennifer Juniper

"Upscale" wrote in message
wrote in message

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Because the rest of us live down in Florida where hurricanes are more of a
concern than snow.

There are a few of us who live in sunny California where the weather in most
places consists of two seasons. Warmer sunny weather and Cooler sunny
weather. Occasionally we do have that strange liquid stuff falling from the
skies which so confuses some people that they forget how to drive all
together.

~Jen

Pounds on Wood

wrote in message

How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the

winter?
For fifteen years I have been using bags of small stucco chips instead.
They are cheaper than the dirty sandbags sold around here.
50 pound bag of stucco chips is $3.50
They don't mess up your vehicle even if they spill. Nice clean white rocks

easy
to clean up.
They don't freeze into a solid lump.
They don't get your hands all filthy if you need to throw some under the

tires
for traction.
And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.

Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using

them.g

Never heard of "stucco chips". What they hell are they normally used for?
Here in CA we prefer our stucco on the walls.
--
********
Bill Pounds

John T

Stucco chips are his name for decorative landscaping stones, about the
size of a nickel, usually in come in bags at DIY stores. In this case,
he prefers the white stones.

John

Lee Gordon

Never heard of "stucco chips". What they hell are they normally used
for?

In this context, they are for when your car gets stucco in the snow and ice.
You pour some in your tire tracks to get unstucco. g

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Lee Gordon

Last time I had a rear-wheel-drive car I kept 4 or 5 cinder blocks in the
trunk during the winter.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.

Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using
them.g

I use them and they work great. I stack maybe four over each of the drive
wheels. Only problem is, I can's see over the hood then. Maybe it is a
better idea for RWD vehicles.

Norman D. Crow

wrote in message
And they REALLY provide traction, way better than the dirty frozen sand.

Best of all in spring you can use them for landscaping in your yard.

So why after fifteen years of harping on this am I the only one using
them.g

I use them and they work great. I stack maybe four over each of the drive
wheels. Only problem is, I can's see over the hood then. Maybe it is a
better idea for RWD vehicles.

Harrumph! In my earlier days, carried two or three old tombstones in the
trunk of my '53 Chev.(grandad was sexton for our country cemetery and they
were old ones that had been replaced). Carried a toolbox or a couple
concrete blocks in the front end of my '62 Corvair just to help keep the
front end glued down so I could steer it in the winter. Only time I ever got
it stuck was showing off, tried driving over/through a ridge of plowed snow
in a parking lot, got high-centered and had to drag enough snow out from
under the car to get the wheels back on the ground! Later on had (4) 50lb.
Otis elevator test weights, about 8" x 8" x 6" steel with a built in handle,
in my '64 Falcon Sprint. More recently, (5) 70lb. tubes of "traction grit".
They fit nicely between wheelwells in my 2WD p/u, and if really necessary
open them and spread some very nice sharp cornered traction aid. Between
those and snow tires, if I can't get where I'm going, got no business going
there!

--
Nahmie

Phisherman

I made several sand bags from old cotton jeans legs. Placed on the
lower lathe shelf it provides added stability and excellent vibration
dampening. I have also used the sand bags to weigh down glued up
parts--it works well for unusual shapes as well as sandwiched ply
sheets.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

were old ones that had been replaced). Carried a toolbox or a couple
concrete blocks in the front end of my '62 Corvair just to help keep the
front end glued down so I could steer it in the winter. Only time I ever
got it stuck was showing off, tried driving over/through a ridge of plowed
snow in a parking lot, got high-centered and had to drag enough snow out
from under the car to get the wheels back on the ground!

I had one too, Monza with the 4 speed. Great car in snow. I had 7.00 x 13
tires and it just went anyplace. Yes, I had a toolbox in the trunk too.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Jois

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:06:53 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

I made several sand bags from old cotton jeans legs.

Do you line the bags with plastic? I'm keen on making such sandbags, but
it seems the sand would leak through the denim. We're talking worn-out
jeans here; they get a little thin. And no, I wouldn't use the leg with
the hole in the knee!

Do you tie or stitch them closed?

Pick up a couple pair at Salvation Army - get exactly the size you need for
sandbags. Machine sew the legs closed with several rows of stitching.

Josie

Phisherman

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:40:52 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:06:53 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

I made several sand bags from old cotton jeans legs.

Do you line the bags with plastic? I'm keen on making such sandbags, but
it seems the sand would leak through the denim. We're talking worn-out
jeans here; they get a little thin. And no, I wouldn't use the leg with
the hole in the knee!

Do you tie or stitch them closed?

I did not line the bags, but I did make sure there were no holes. I
stitched the legs closed using heavy-duty thread, a large needle, and
thimble. I used play sand. Easy to do.
Norman D. Crow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

were old ones that had been replaced). Carried a toolbox or a couple
concrete blocks in the front end of my '62 Corvair just to help keep the
front end glued down so I could steer it in the winter. Only time I ever
got it stuck was showing off, tried driving over/through a ridge of
plowed snow in a parking lot, got high-centered and had to drag enough
snow out from under the car to get the wheels back on the ground!

I had one too, Monza with the 4 speed. Great car in snow. I had 7.00 x
13 tires and it just went anyplace. Yes, I had a toolbox in the trunk
too.
--

YEP! Loved that little car. Loved it even more after I put hotter plugs in
it so they didn't foul so much in city/winter driving. Threw the belt a time

--
Nahmie

George

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message
Truck? Not sand. Four wheel drive and a couple of elevator weights
bolted to the bed over the rear axle.

And yes, we've been know to get a little bit of snow in these parts (see
signature).

You know what the motto of the Otis Elevator Company is, don't you?

Good - to the last drop.

Still driving a 2WD Ranger where there's better'n twice your average
snowfall.

Jois

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:47:03 -0400, Jois wrote:

Pick up a couple pair at Salvation Army

SA? I just look in my closet!

Thanks for the info on construction.

I tried this one year instead of water bags on the rim (18") of an above
ground pool. Worked great, sand stayed in bags, not too heavy for me to
lift, but turned out to be great pain in the neck for me to store. (To make
them I moved the portable sewing machine to a table out by the pool and
filled the leg bags so enough room to spare to sew the top on the machine.
Seemed about right, bags not overstuffed so they still were a bit bendable
or conformable.) Ended up (year or two years later) switching over to these
inexpensive plastic clamps from hardware store, been using them several
years and squirt them with WD40, store in plastic woven bag, and they are
ready to go in the fall. Much lighter than sandbags.

Josie

Teamcasa

"Jennifer Juniper" said:
There are a few of us who live in sunny California where the weather in
most
places consists of two seasons. Warmer sunny weather and Cooler sunny
weather. Occasionally we do have that strange liquid stuff falling from
the
skies which so confuses some people that they forget how to drive all
together.

~Jen

Sorry Jen we have four seasons in SoCal. Spring Summer Fire Flood

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

B a r r y

Patrick Conroy wrote:

If that's not enough, I can activate 4WD and my electrically locking
rear differential. G

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Rubicon?

2005 Toyota Tacoma - TRD Off-road. G

My Wrangler has LS, but no locker.

Barry
Joe AutoDrill

How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the
winter?

CLIP

When you're Sicilian like me and live near NYC you don't think about putting
extra weight in the trunk... If ya know what I mean... grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Teamcasa

Ya gotta understand that those californicators think that stucco is
that plastic Dryvit crap not a cement based product with white stones
in it ;-)

Dryvit! Nonsense, builders in California only use it when forced by the
architect to achive some specific design requirement. Remember, we don't
have to grind rock to get sand. We prefer real stucco out West. (And we
like our Mag 77's al well!)

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Norman D. Crow

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
How many here use sand bags for weight in their car or truck in the
winter?

CLIP

When you're Sicilian like me and live near NYC you don't think about
putting extra weight in the trunk... If ya know what I mean... grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

You mean like the NJ troopers I used to see darn near dismantling a
suspected drug running car on I80?

--
Nahmie

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:52:57 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

were old ones that had been replaced). Carried a toolbox or a couple
concrete blocks in the front end of my '62 Corvair just to help keep the
front end glued down so I could steer it in the winter. Only time I ever
got it stuck was showing off, tried driving over/through a ridge of plowed
snow in a parking lot, got high-centered and had to drag enough snow out
from under the car to get the wheels back on the ground!

I had one too, Monza with the 4 speed. Great car in snow. I had 7.00 x 13
tires and it just went anyplace. Yes, I had a toolbox in the trunk too.

Drove a Pontiac LeMans during college. It was absolutely the worst car
on snow or ice you could find. I was one of those people that other cars
had to drive around because anything over 35 on any amount of snow caused
fishtailing. OTOH, when the roads were dry, that 350 V8 was awesome!

Norman D. Crow

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
[...]

Up until the Corvair, I think the best snow car I ever drove was my Mother's
'53 Chev 6 w/Powerslide tranny. Only 2 gears, but if it was really slick,
step on it enough to pick wheel speed up so it would shift into high, then
it would walk right along. Just enough torque to keep going, not enough to
break the wheels loose. We won't talk about it's wimpy dry road performance.

--
Nahmie

Joe AutoDrill

You mean like the NJ troopers I used to see darn near dismantling a
suspected drug running car on I80?

I was thinking more along the lines of organic material... Living or not.
....A joke of course.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.