Lol

Default South African hardwood?

Can anyone help me to identify some hard wood that I have been given?
I have been told that it is South African but I have no way of
verifying this.

The wood itself is close grained and a very distinctive bright orange
in colour. The planks that I have include a two inch band of white
wood down the length of one side. The planks themselves are around
three metres in length and vary between about 40 and 70cm in width,
about 3cm thick, (not sure if the dimensions of the planks are
significant but it's probably best to give too much info rather than
not enough.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Lol

Sounds like maybe Paduak to me. I love this wood and have used it with
wenge (believe it or not) to create some interesting boxes. I've never
encountered white wood as part of it, but maybe they normally strip it
off.

If it is Paduak, it starts bright orange then turns a deep dark red
that's really beautiful.

Paul in MN

"Lol" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help me to identify some hard wood that I have been given?
I have been told that it is South African but I have no way of
verifying this.

The wood itself is close grained and a very distinctive bright orange
in colour. The planks that I have include a two inch band of white
wood down the length of one side. The planks themselves are around
three metres in length and vary between about 40 and 70cm in width,
about 3cm thick, (not sure if the dimensions of the planks are
significant but it's probably best to give too much info rather than
not enough.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Lol

I was in the Congo and in Angola and they were trucking out some good size
logs that were quite orange in colour. I was told it was Okume, but Padauk
as well is an orangeish (sp) coloured wood

Paul

Phil Hansen

On 17 Sep 2005 10:46:10 -0700, "Lol" wrote:

Can anyone help me to identify some hard wood that I have been given?
I have been told that it is South African but I have no way of
verifying this.

The wood itself is close grained and a very distinctive bright orange
in colour. The planks that I have include a two inch band of white
wood down the length of one side. The planks themselves are around
three metres in length and vary between about 40 and 70cm in width,
about 3cm thick, (not sure if the dimensions of the planks are
significant but it's probably best to give too much info rather than
not enough.)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kiaat, Iroko or Tambuti are all Southern African hardwoods that can
have orange/red/white colours.
If it has a very strong and distinctive smell when scraped, planed it
would be tambuti. Iroko tends to have more white than the others.
HTH

Lol

Thanks to all of the contributers - looking at my wood and the options
described I'm pretty certain that I've got about 9 sq meters of inch
thick African Padauk, I feel rich!

Having said that, I also feel very poor as the guy who gave me this out
of the kindness of his heart died suddenly yesterday. It's not a
concern of the members of this group but it's just another reason why
I'm keen to make sure that this wood is properly identified and put to
good use.