Default Resin that comes from pine

I recently built a Pine wardrobe but i am plagued by the sticky resin
that is exuding from the knots ,what should I do to stop this

SonomaProducts.com

He nailed it; Shellac.

Paul Kierstead

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:25:37 -0700, javea5 wrote:

I recently built a Pine wardrobe but i am plagued by the sticky resin
that is exuding from the knots ,what should I do to stop this

Coat of dewaxed shellac.

Not always. At least one thing I built of pine has the pitch come
through several coats of shellac. It came from a batch of pine that is
*extremely* pitchy. Sometimes you just gotta put it in the burn bin

PK

David

Mike Marlow wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 16 Sep 2005 06:25:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

I recently built a Pine wardrobe but i am plagued by the sticky resin
that is exuding from the knots ,what should I do to stop this

This one is TOO easy! The answer is: Don't use pine.

You don't have to be that inclusive. Just don't
use pine with pitch pockets.
I've used pine for lots of stuff, never had any
pitch problems.

Agreed. The hardwood only snobs look down their noses at pine, but a lot of
very nice furniture has been build out of pine. If one can get over the
false notion that pine is junk, one can turn out some beautiful and very
long lasting stuff out of pine.

but, but, but, Mike? Isn't pine SOFT? Is that a desirable trait for
"long lasting stuff"?

Dave
Mike Marlow

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Ummmmmm... yup - but look around, you'll see tons of that soft stuff that's
lasted 100 years. I'm not suggesting it's the same as a nice hardwood, but
it sure shouldn't take the knock it gets.

--

-Mike-

Jim Behning

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 16 Sep 2005 06:25:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

I recently built a Pine wardrobe but i am plagued by the sticky resin
that is exuding from the knots ,what should I do to stop this

This one is TOO easy! The answer is: Don't use pine.

You don't have to be that inclusive. Just don't
use pine with pitch pockets.
I've used pine for lots of stuff, never had any
pitch problems.

Agreed. The hardwood only snobs look down their noses at pine, but a lot of
very nice furniture has been build out of pine. If one can get over the
false notion that pine is junk, one can turn out some beautiful and very
long lasting stuff out of pine.

but, but, but, Mike? Isn't pine SOFT? Is that a desirable trait for
"long lasting stuff"?

Dave

Southern Yellow Pine is pretty darn hard and dense. Some pine is soft
and some pine is hard. There are plenty of hardwoods that are softer
than SYP. I am not sure if SYP is technically a species or if Longleaf
Pine and Loblolly Pine are some of the heavy and hard.

Jim B.
Jois

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
ups.com...
Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:25:37 -0700, javea5 wrote:

I recently built a Pine wardrobe but i am plagued by the sticky resin
that is exuding from the knots ,what should I do to stop this

Coat of dewaxed shellac.

Not always. At least one thing I built of pine has the pitch come
through several coats of shellac. It came from a batch of pine that is
*extremely* pitchy. Sometimes you just gotta put it in the burn bin

PK

Did you stain or paint the wardrobe? How long ago did you apply the finish?

I try to avoid areas where pine has a depression with pitch sitting right in
it. But I have been able to remove the resin with turps and then fill
depression with wood filler and that is that.

If you want to stain the pine, you have to pick your pieces very carefully.
The knots have to be attached to the surrounding wood entirely, then you can
even stain the piece you are working on and then seal with shellac - more
than one coat, say 3 or 4. Then apply whatever finish you want. I have pine
pieces done like this where the knots are 2x4" ovals and the finish is
intact after 30 years. If a pine knot drops out and you still insist on
staining then clean up the area with turps, get rid of any remaining brown
areas and patch with wood filler. When the filler is completely dry and
sanded level you can use acrylic paint to paint wood grain onto the wood
filler, and finish as desired.

If you are painting the wardrobe you still have to clean up any resin you
see and any area you think will leak resin with turps and then shellac the
area with 3-4 coats and then paint as you wish. Some of the guys said they
used wood filler to make a raised area over the shellac - adding a layer of
wood filler - and then sanding the "hill" almost flat. I can't make that
look good but I thought I'd mention it.

Kilz should do a good job of sealing up pine knots. I'd clean with turps
carefully first and then use the oil based Kilz and use a couple or three
coats, too.

Josie

CW

Pine does show it's age but not as bad as you might believe. I have a pine
end table and coffee table that my father built in 1975. We lived in Japan
then. It has been shipped to eastern Washington, used there for a few years,
put into a storage unit for a number of years, brought out and trucked to
western Washington were it is now. Still looks pretty good, all things
considered.
"David" wrote in message
but, but, but, Mike? Isn't pine SOFT? Is that a desirable trait for
"long lasting stuff"?

Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

David wrote:

but, but, but, Mike? Isn't pine SOFT? Is that a desirable trait for
"long lasting stuff"?

Long before I ever did any woodworking, we bought a Bennington Pine dining
room set in 1976. Added the kitchen table and chairs in 1981. Sure, it has
a few marks from daily use, but is still in great shape. Quality furniture
that is well made. We got the Admiral's chairs too. Sort of like the
popular Captains chairs, only larger and more comfortable. I suspect this
can last another 100 years or more.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that pine is cheap or not a good material.
I've made plenty of stuff from it too.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Max

Larry Jaques wrote:

This one is TOO easy! The answer is: Don't use pine.

You don't have to be that inclusive. Just don't
use pine with pitch pockets.
I've used pine for lots of stuff, never had any
pitch problems.

Agreed. The hardwood only snobs look down their noses at pine, but a lot
of
very nice furniture has been build out of pine. If one can get over the
false notion that pine is junk, one can turn out some beautiful and very
long lasting stuff out of pine.
--

-Mike-

I'm pleased with my latest pine project:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam.../ph//my_photos

Max

CW

As you should be. Nice.

"Max" wrote in message
t...

I'm pleased with my latest pine project:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam.../ph//my_photos

Max

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:04:03 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

If one can get over the false notion that pine is junk,

There certainly is pine that's not junk, but most of the pine that's
available today is barely construction grade, not furniture grade. And
most of it isn't pine ayway, but hemlock or spruce (in the UK at least).

I'd select the boards more carefully. I wouldn't necessarily throw
resiny pine out as firewood, but I wouldn't use it for wardrobes either.
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

If one can get over the false notion that pine is junk,

There certainly is pine that's not junk, but most of the pine that's
available today is barely construction grade, not furniture grade. And
most of it isn't pine ayway, but hemlock or spruce (in the UK at least).

I'd select the boards more carefully. I wouldn't necessarily throw
resiny pine out as firewood, but I wouldn't use it for wardrobes either.

Whoa! You can't say most of the pine available
is junk and then say most of it isn't pine. Uhh.
Wait a minute, you just did. Spend at least 5
seconds thinking about what you said. That's in
the category o. "Taste it again for the first time."

Maybe most pine available today is junk, but it is
all pine. Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not
pine (not likely true).

Dave Balderstone

In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Maybe most pine available today is junk, but it is
all pine. Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not
pine (not likely true).

If you're talking about construction/fencing grade, much of it here in
Canada is sold a "SPF", which stands for "Spruce/Pine/Fir".

djb

George E. Cawthon

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Maybe most pine available today is junk, but it is
all pine. Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not
pine (not likely true).

If you're talking about construction/fencing grade, much of it here in
Canada is sold a "SPF", which stands for "Spruce/Pine/Fir".

djb

The OP wasn't, at least I hope he wasn't making a
pine wardrobe out of fencing or construction grade
wood, the former being awful and the latter not
normally seen so it doesn't matter what it looks
like or what it is since the strength is the only
thing that matters. SPF, means they it is a mix
and they don't care what it looks like and they
probably don't even know what the species are.

Doesn't matter tho, he said pine, so I assume he
meant pine. What kind of pine do people buy to
make a wardrobe?
George

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Maybe most pine available today is junk, but it is
all pine. Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not
pine (not likely true).

If you're talking about construction/fencing grade, much of it here in
Canada is sold a "SPF", which stands for "Spruce/Pine/Fir".

Pine also comes graded, all one species, almost like hardwood. Of course
you have to pay for the service. "B" select eastern white is a glory to
work with, but it's more expensive than maple, though it's not even the
highest appearance grade.

Difference is in knowing first, then shopping.

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:04:03 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

There certainly is pine that's not junk, but most of the pine that's
available today is barely construction grade, not furniture grade. And
most of it isn't pine ayway, but hemlock or spruce (in the UK at least).

... Or maybe most wood sold as pine is not
pine (not likely true).

I think that's what he meant. Sort of like the 'oak' furniture
K-Mart sells that is made out of rubber wood.

--

FF

White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 05:19 PM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 06:26 PM
resin anchor question urchaidh UK diy 1 February 9th 05 09:05 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 03:09 PM
Best finish for T&G pine paneling? HerHusband Woodworking 5 February 16th 04 03:35 PM