Leon

Default NEWBIE - How do you weatherproof mohaganney front porch?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a mohaganney front porch and am not sure how to weatherproof it,
or if it requires weatherproofing at all. The previous owner only
stained it every couple of years. When I asked him about
weather-proofing it (water sealer, etc.) he said that he didn't want to
do that because then he would have to do it every year.

Does anyone know what the real story is? Does mohaganney require
weather-proofing, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

The real story is that some woods do better out doors than others. Mahogany
is one that does better. However that is mostly from the ability to not rot
stand point. That said I am not sure of any wood that will not fade to a
grey color when exposed to sunlight unless you stain it. Regardless
"weather- proofing" is a temporary fix that will have to be reapplied every
2-3 years. Direct sun light is going to the biggest enemy to the
appearance.

Chris

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a mohaganney front porch and am not sure how to weatherproof it,
or if it requires weatherproofing at all. The previous owner only
stained it every couple of years. When I asked him about
weather-proofing it (water sealer, etc.) he said that he didn't want to
do that because then he would have to do it every year.

Does anyone know what the real story is? Does mohaganney require
weather-proofing, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

Mike

Everyone has a different opinion on this one, I think. Weather-proofing
mahog is a flip of the coin IMHO. I have a seen a few mahog decks almost
ruined by poor application or preparation of weather proofing.

You might want to specify geographic location and size as most people would
consider it vital.

For me (in the NE), I would just go with the stain. Make sure the deck
drains well and is properly gapped. Once a year (fall for me here) give it
a little pressure wash with some mild soap.

Just my two cents.

Chris

Chris

mike hide

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a mohaganney front porch and am not sure how to weatherproof it,
or if it requires weatherproofing at all. The previous owner only
stained it every couple of years. When I asked him about
weather-proofing it (water sealer, etc.) he said that he didn't want to
do that because then he would have to do it every year.

Does anyone know what the real story is? Does mohaganney require
weather-proofing, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

Mike

mohaganney !!! that is the wood the mohegan indians made their bows out of
???????

Hi Chris,

I am in the NE as well. The porch is mostly covered, which keeps a good
portion of the rain and snow off of it. The front steps are not
covered, and seem to get the most beating.

I think I am going to take your advice and only sand and stain it.

Thanks for the tips.

Mike

Chris wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

No

Yea - Stain. I would go with a solid color stain if you like that look. It
will give best UV protection. Semi-transparent would be next choice. Oil
stain only would be 3rd. It would depend on what has been done previously. I
have had good results with Sikkens Products for this. Somone here also
recomended penofin for an oil only. If there was no previous color and I
wanted natural I would consider that.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a mohaganney front porch and am not sure how to weatherproof it,
or if it requires weatherproofing at all. The previous owner only
stained it every couple of years. When I asked him about
weather-proofing it (water sealer, etc.) he said that he didn't want to
do that because then he would have to do it every year.

Does anyone know what the real story is? Does mohaganney require
weather-proofing, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

Mike

Chris

Mike,
If it is covered, I would think that cleaning it would be a little more
important as a lot of dirt likes to stay "trapped" in there.. One of the
reasons I suggested just staining first, is it will give you the option to
seal it later if not happy. Harder to reverse any weather protection if you
decide you are not happy with it.

See how you like it, and keep an eye out for other mahog decks that are
protected. This should give you a good idea as to what you ultimately end
up doing.

Good luck,
Chris

oups.com...