Toller

Default Making QSWO?

A week ago I posted a gloat about buying 100bf of 12/4 oak on ebay for
$1.25.

I cut off a chunk today to make a new centerboard for my sailboat and
discovered it is actually white oak with unusually good figure! (since WO
is more durable than RO, I really scored there...)

Since I really have no use for that much 12/4, and no means to resaw it, I
am thinking of cutting it into 1" pieces, turning them on side, and gluing
them together to make 4/4 QSWO.

Does this make sense, or am I getting carried away?

Charlie Self

Toller wrote:
A week ago I posted a gloat about buying 100bf of 12/4 oak on ebay for
$1.25.

I cut off a chunk today to make a new centerboard for my sailboat and
discovered it is actually white oak with unusually good figure! (since WO
is more durable than RO, I really scored there...)

Since I really have no use for that much 12/4, and no means to resaw it, I
am thinking of cutting it into 1" pieces, turning them on side, and gluing
them together to make 4/4 QSWO.

Does this make sense, or am I getting carried away?

You got it right the second time. Can't you find someone with a bandsaw
and then resaw the WO yourself?

Swingman

"Toller" wrote in message

Since I really have no use for that much 12/4, and no means to resaw it, I
am thinking of cutting it into 1" pieces, turning them on side, and gluing
them together to make 4/4 QSWO.

Does this make sense, or am I getting carried away?

We don't see much 12/4 WO down this way. If you need QS, what you propose
doing to make QS makes perfect sense and will definitely work.

Personally, I would wait until the need arises before resawing ... sounds
like it's about time for that bandsaw purchase.

BTW, you suck ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/12/05

Ed Clarke

On 2005-09-15, Swingman wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message

Since I really have no use for that much 12/4, and no means to resaw it, I
am thinking of cutting it into 1" pieces, turning them on side, and gluing
them together to make 4/4 QSWO.

Does this make sense, or am I getting carried away?

We don't see much 12/4 WO down this way. If you need QS, what you propose
doing to make QS makes perfect sense and will definitely work.

Personally, I would wait until the need arises before resawing ... sounds
like it's about time for that bandsaw purchase.

BTW, you suck ...

At least one of the Stickley brothers did this for chair or table legs. He
wanted the white oak grain to show on all four sides so he joined four pieces
of oak together with lock miter joints.

I don't think it was Gustav.

--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years