Ted Moens

Default working with makore

Greetings:

I had never used makore until I saw some at the lumber yard which looked
quite beautiful - a nice deep red with a fair amount of figure too. In any
case, as soon as I start to work with it - even cross-cutting a one by two -
my nose and lungs immediately notice. If I do any heavy work like jointing,
planing or ripping large pieces, my breathing apparatus protests. I do not
have any alergic problems with any other wood. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Ted

tom

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/makore.htm These guys say "may
cause nose and throat irritation and dermatitis". I gotta try some of
that. Tom

DDP

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:32:35 GMT, "Ted Moens"
wrote:

Greetings:

I had never used makore until I saw some at the lumber yard which looked
quite beautiful - a nice deep red with a fair amount of figure too. In any
case, as soon as I start to work with it - even cross-cutting a one by two -
my nose and lungs immediately notice. If I do any heavy work like jointing,
planing or ripping large pieces, my breathing apparatus protests. I do not
have any alergic problems with any other wood. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Ted

I have worked with Makore in Yacht building and have found no one who
does not have some kind of reaction. Dust masks are a must.
Jim Bailey

Ted - I've cut a lot of different woods, domestic and exotics.
A couple of months ago I saw a piece of S2S Makore for little more than
shipping cost so I thought Id give it a shot. No protection, one pass
through the jointer and I was out for the rest of the day with nose/throat
irritation. Take some precautions. I don't want ANY wood that bad - it
went out to the trash the next day.

jim bailey

"Ted Moens" wrote in message
Greetings:

I had never used makore until I saw some at the lumber yard which looked
quite beautiful - a nice deep red with a fair amount of figure too. In

any
case, as soon as I start to work with it - even cross-cutting a one by

two -
my nose and lungs immediately notice. If I do any heavy work like

jointing,
planing or ripping large pieces, my breathing apparatus protests. I do

not
have any alergic problems with any other wood. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Ted

Ted Moens

Thanks for the replies. I have done some more searching on the question and
it seems that it is quite a toxic wood. If I am going to use it, it will be
rare and only with good respiratory protection.

Ted

"Ted Moens" wrote in message
Greetings:

I had never used makore until I saw some at the lumber yard which looked
quite beautiful - a nice deep red with a fair amount of figure too. In

any
case, as soon as I start to work with it - even cross-cutting a one by

two -
my nose and lungs immediately notice. If I do any heavy work like

jointing,
planing or ripping large pieces, my breathing apparatus protests. I do

not
have any alergic problems with any other wood. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Ted

Pat Barber

A good many of the exotics have some very nasty side affects.

I bought a truck load of tali for almost nothing. I ripped one
board and had a allergic reaction for almost 72 hrs. Severe etching
and breathing problems. I got several hundred feet of this very
nasty stuff, so I stored it out of doors. The termites will not even
bother it. Makes beautiful outdoor furniture.

Here are a couple of toxic wood lists:

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/...isc/wood.toxic