BC Brian

Default Air Compressor

Need some opinions. Thinking of getting a upright stationary compressor (oil
lubricated) and putting it in enclosure on the outside wall of my shop.
Probable would insulate it but temperatures around here in winter that
occaisionally drop below freezing.
Would the cold cause any problems???

Markem

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:50:08 GMT, "BC Brian"
wrote:

Probable would insulate it but temperatures around here in winter that
occaisionally drop below freezing.
Would the cold cause any problems???

Draining the tank daily after use could be, you do need to eliminate
the condesation in the tank to prevent early rusting.

Mark
Robert Allison

BC Brian wrote:
Need some opinions. Thinking of getting a upright stationary compressor (oil
lubricated) and putting it in enclosure on the outside wall of my shop.
Probable would insulate it but temperatures around here in winter that
occaisionally drop below freezing.
Would the cold cause any problems???

We use compressors on jobsites, most are similar to what you
are talking about (oil lubed). When the temperature drops
close to or below freezing, compressors have a hard time
starting. We would generally build a fire and set the
compressors and guns close to the fire to warm them up while
we rolled out the rest of the tools. By the time we were
ready to use them, they would work fine.

If you put it in an enclosure on the outside, put a light
socket in there. If the temps are going to be low, put a 100
watt bulb in there and leave it on. Insulate the walls, but
install a vent that can be opened and closed. You should have
no problems.

As far as damage to the equipment from the cold weather, you
should make sure to drain the tank regularly so as to avoid
moisture buildup. The damage will occur if moisture in the
lines freezes. The cold should not have a direct effect on
the equipment, but ice in the tank or lines might.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

the oil bath crankcase in a compressor is similar to the one in a car
engine. if it gets cold enough to keep the oil from flowing, running it
will damage it.

Greg O

"BC Brian" wrote in message
Need some opinions. Thinking of getting a upright stationary compressor
(oil lubricated) and putting it in enclosure on the outside wall of my
shop.
Probable would insulate it but temperatures around here in winter that
occaisionally drop below freezing.
Would the cold cause any problems???

I ran an oil lubed compressor for years in the attic of my garage. I would
change the oil spring and fall. Run normal weight oil in the summer, and
thinner in the winter. Never had a problem except by spring I needed to
drain the condensate, (ice!), from it that accumulated all winter! North
Dakota winters!
I see no problem with it as you are rarely seeing freezing temps.If you get
a cast iron pump, you can buy a magnetic heater to stick on the pump.
Greg