Upscale

Default Minimizing noise from a compressor

Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

Tyke

The trouble with a box enclosure is that it may reduce the air flow required
for cooling too much.

A rubber base is not likely to reduce noise too much, but it is worth a try.
I mounted my compressor on scraps of the composite decking material. This
was to avoid scratching my concrete more than anything, but makes it very
easy to slide the unit around when I need to get behind it.

Your unit sounds to be small enough it could be hung from the ceiling. This
would help vibration but not sound.

Most of the noise is the compressor/motor/cooling fan. Can you install any
sound absorbing material on the walls/ceiling near the compressor? This may
help the neighbours and still allow the unit to cool itself. Insulation
works well for sound absorbing. The more trapped air the better.

I recently upgraded from a 2HP 20 gal unit to a 3HP (rated 7 but this is
hype) 60 gal unit. This is much quieter than the small unit. I doubt you
will be able to upgrade.

Dave Paine.

"Upscale" wrote in message
Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

Upscale

"Tyke" wrote in message

Most of the noise is the compressor/motor/cooling fan. Can you install

any
sound absorbing material on the walls/ceiling near the compressor? This

may
help the neighbours and still allow the unit to cool itself. Insulation
works well for sound absorbing. The more trapped air the better.

I was thinking of an insulated box and if necessary, I could add some type
of small fan for air input. The few times I'm running it per week, I'm only
using it for a total of less then ten minutes each time and during that
period it usually only cycles on once to maintain its pressure. With that
usage, I know it's not going to overheat. However, in the near future I plan
to be running it for some longer periods with a stapler and if I can get the
noise toned down a little, I'm sure I'd find other uses for it too.

I maybe worrying about nothing. I only run it in the daytime and the noise
of it is not that much greater than a noisy vacuum, I was mostly concerned
with vibrations going though the floor to a neighbour's apartment. You have
a good idea about suspending it though, maybe even suspending it inside a
box of some type. I'll try the foam cushion route as a beginning and see how
that works out.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message
I'll try the foam cushion route as a beginning and see how
that works out.

The convoluted or 'egg crate" foam is supposed to be best at absorbing
sounds.

Leon

"Tyke" wrote in message
The trouble with a box enclosure is that it may reduce the air flow
required for cooling too much.

Seems reasonable however I have read in several magazines about compressors
being put in carpet lined boxes with no ill affects. Air flow is not
reduced. Air flow is recycled.

A rubber base is not likely to reduce noise too much, but it is worth a
try. I mounted my compressor on scraps of the composite decking material.
This was to avoid scratching my concrete more than anything, but makes it
very easy to slide the unit around when I need to get behind it.
Your unit sounds to be small enough it could be hung from the ceiling.
This would help vibration but not sound.

Most of the noise is the compressor/motor/cooling fan.

Actually most of the noise comes from the air intake/ muffler.

dicko

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:35:47 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Actually most of the noise comes from the air intake/ muffler.

I was just going to make this statement.

My 25 year old Sears direct drive 1 hp compressor is extremely noisy
and it all seems to be coming from the air intake. Can you buy
mufflers for these things?

dickm

Fred

The trouble with a box enclosure is that it may reduce the air flow
required for cooling too much.

Should be ok, it's not continuous duty. I had one of those heavy duty impact
printers (remember those?) during the early 1980's and when its on a
printing cycle it sounds like machine gun firing even at half a block away.
Put it in a box and almost all that noise was gone, even without insulation.
For sound absorption, high density underlayment carpet foam pad works
wonders, much better than the stuff they use on high end speaker enclosures.

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message
Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there are
no ill effects form over heating.

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message
I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there

are
no ill effects form over heating.

That's a good idea and convenient too. I'm about to adopt a cat and will be
building a half decent cat tree/scratching post. I was planning on using the
pneumatic stapler I mentioned earlier to cover the tree with carpeting.

It's real nice when a bunch of small projects all seem to coincide with each
other.

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message
I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there

are
no ill effects form over heating.

That's a good idea and convenient too. I'm about to adopt a cat and will
be
building a half decent cat tree/scratching post. I was planning on using
the
pneumatic stapler I mentioned earlier to cover the tree with carpeting.

It's real nice when a bunch of small projects all seem to coincide with
each
other.

While the smaller compressors tend to be louder because of higher RPM's I
wonder if you could simply extend the intake and muffler and simply box that
portion. It may be just enough that you do not have to use a lot of wood
covering the whole set up.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message
While the smaller compressors tend to be louder because of higher RPM's I
wonder if you could simply extend the intake and muffler and simply box
that portion. It may be just enough that you do not have to use a lot of
wood covering the whole set up.

It should make a difference. Ingersol Rand makes mufflers for the intake of
their large compressors (say, 100 hp and up) so the same principle should
apply to the smaller ones.

Upscale wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there

are
no ill effects form over heating.

That's a good idea and convenient too. I'm about to adopt a cat and will be
building a half decent cat tree/scratching post. I was planning on using the
pneumatic stapler I mentioned earlier to cover the tree with carpeting.

It's real nice when a bunch of small projects all seem to coincide with each
other.

maybe a combination cat tree/compressor enclosure? with the compressor
up off of the floor for sound isolation, carpet inside and out and
multiple perches for the critter....

CW

I have been working in an industry that is heavily dependant on compressors
since 1986. In that time, I have seen many compressors die due to lack of
cooling. Heat buildup does matter, a lot. You would have less problem with
compressors used at the hobby level due to light and intermmittant use but
the better the (cool) airflow, the longer it will last.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there

are
no ill effects form over heating.

Leon

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...
I have been working in an industry that is heavily dependant on compressors
since 1986. In that time, I have seen many compressors die due to lack of
cooling. Heat buildup does matter, a lot. You would have less problem with
compressors used at the hobby level due to light and intermmittant use but
the better the (cool) airflow, the longer it will last.

Yes I agree in an industry setting but for a hobby setting I do not think
heat is going to be a problem. And since a hole is in deed in the box to
let air in for recharging there will be a continuous supply of fresh air
coming in when it is running.
I recall about 20 years ago the compressor room at the dealership that I
worked at. 6-200 gallon compressors 3 on top of 3, that never shut down
until the end of the day. You did not even want to think of walking in the
room where they were at because of the heat. Oddly they were never any
problem the 9 years that we used them and they were far from new when we
bought the dealership.

David

Leon wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Heat would be a serious problem for my 30gal Sears oil lubed unit, if
enclosed, even in a "hobbyist" environment. I've run it enough that the
heat coming off the pump feels reminiscent of feeling the heat pouring
off an automotive engine. It doesn't take all that long for it to heat
up, and an oilless unit, I'd expect, would get hotter quicker. One
would have to send some serious amount of air into any type of small
enclosure to keep the unit from overheating.

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:51:19 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I have seen many compressors die due to lack of cooling.

Arrange the inlet suction to provide airflow over the cooling fins /
intercooler.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:03:48 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:51:19 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I have seen many compressors die due to lack of cooling.

Arrange the inlet suction to provide airflow over the cooling fins /
intercooler.

I suspect that those two airflows need to be at ratio of something on
the order of 20:1
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:29:40 GMT, the blithe spirit "Leon"
clearly indicated:

"Upscale" wrote in message
Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there are
no ill effects form over heating.

I really want to make one of these for my compressor. The last time
I used it I accidentally left it on. A week later, when I was doing
some intricate work on something else, it unexpectedly kicked in and
I could have lost a finger. Yeah, the intakes are the loudest part of
a compressor.

Use the foam-backed I/O carpet on both the inside and outside of the
smaller U, the inside of the larger, and the inside of the top. Ask
your local carpet places for scrap from a commercial job; free or
cheap. Loose-weave carpet is good, and since it's all hidden, it
shouldn't make much difference if scraps don't match or what color it
is. Make 2 U-shaped plywood pieces and bisquick a top on it (gluing
the carpeting on first.) Route the hose out through either opening,
either of which allows full airflow.

Make a cutout in the smaller U for adjusting the regulator if
necessary and install a padded door on the outside U to get to it.

-this side against the wall-
=================================
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc\c||
\|| 4" gap between U's.
cccccccccccccccccccccccccc c||
||========================c c||
||c/cccccccccccccccccccccc c||
||/ c||
||c c||
||c compressor c|| c = carpeting
||c c|| || and === are ply
||c c||
||c c||
||\ c||
||c\cccccccccccccccccccccc c||
||========================c c||
cccccccccccccccccccccccccc c||
/||
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc /c||
=================================

The larger U has the top. The smaller is braced in the corners and
nearly full height so the top contacts it, too. Use any old ply for
the inner U, Baltic Birch (unstained Cherry?) for the outer one.
Finish it (no poly) and use it for a work area (if your compressor
is short enough.)

This should bring the noise level down bunches, maybe 6-10dB.

--
Never ascribe to malice that which can
be adequately explained by stupidity.

Leon wrote:

I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there are
no ill effects form over heating.

I'd question that. if the consumption air is enough to cool the unit
then why do they put cooling fins all over the body of the pump?

CW

Because if you overheat them, they die. The air throughput is not nearly
enough to disapate the amount of heat generated. As metal gets hotter, it
softens, increasing wear. It takes suprisingly little heat for metal to
soften. Solution: cool the pump or make your compressor from inconel.

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'd question that. if the consumption air is enough to cool the unit
then why do they put cooling fins all over the body of the pump?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...

Leon wrote:

I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there
are
no ill effects form over heating.

I'd question that. if the consumption air is enough to cool the unit
then why do they put cooling fins all over the body of the pump?

Because the consumption air is not enough to prevent overheating. Besides,
air is heated when compressed.

Everything has to be put into proper perspective. Every compressor has a
duty cycle. It may be 30%, but could be 100%. Industrial compressors
sometimes go 24/7 for a year at a time. The 150 HP IR that we run will have
air temperatures in the range of 240 degrees and the cooling water can reach
115 on a very hot day even with two fans running on the cooling tower.

Our 75 HP Quincy screw has a factory enclosure to keep noise down. There is
also a large fan and vent to the outside about 2' square for the exhaust.

In the case of Upscale, he is looking at running about 10 minutes a few
times a week. It will not even be up to normal operating temperature in
that time so an enclosure is not a problem with cooling air.

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:29:43 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

Leon wrote:

I have read about a box lined with carpeting in side works well. Drill a
hole in it some where to allow air in for recharging. Apparently there
are
no ill effects form over heating.

I'd question that. if the consumption air is enough to cool the unit
then why do they put cooling fins all over the body of the pump?

Because the consumption air is not enough to prevent overheating. Besides,
air is heated when compressed.

rhetorical questions are wasted around here, I guess.

Everything has to be put into proper perspective. Every compressor has a
duty cycle. It may be 30%, but could be 100%. Industrial compressors
sometimes go 24/7 for a year at a time. The 150 HP IR that we run will have
air temperatures in the range of 240 degrees and the cooling water can reach
115 on a very hot day even with two fans running on the cooling tower.

Our 75 HP Quincy screw has a factory enclosure to keep noise down. There is
also a large fan and vent to the outside about 2' square for the exhaust.

In the case of Upscale, he is looking at running about 10 minutes a few
times a week. It will not even be up to normal operating temperature in
that time so an enclosure is not a problem with cooling air.

granted at the level he uses it now he could encase it in a block of
concrete.

but he did say that part of the reason for doing this is so he can use
it more.
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

rhetorical questions are wasted around here, I guess.

This was about compressors. Rhetoricals was another thread.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

As acoustics are often part of electrical engineering, (it spills over
into architecture) the core of the discipline are simple, basic physics.

Once a noise is air-bound, only two things will kill it: mass and
dissipation. In both cases, the energy is converted into heat (as
infinitesimally small that heat may be)

Transmitted (through a body other than air) noise obeys those same rules.
Parking your compressor on a heavy slab (like a patio stone they're
cheap enough) will have an immediate, positive result. If you then also
isolate the patio stone from the floor via a dissipating medium, like
four tennis balls, not a whole lot will get to the floor. You will feel
the immediate difference in your feet standing beside the running
compressor. Cut 4 pieces of 3/4" x 1-1/2 PVC drain pipe to use as rings
to put the tennis balls in so they won't roll around.

IF you're going to hang the unit from the ceiling, the noise will be
transmitted to the people upstairs...unless you use rubber bungee cords.

Egg cartons will dissipate some reflective sound, but in a very narrow
band of frequencies. basically useless for your problem as the
compressor puts out wide-bandwidth energy. The absorption of a medium is
measurable by the thickness as it is a multiple of the wave-length.
Therefore, carpet will only kill very small (high) frequencies. The
thicker, the better.

A box with a muffin fan... yup.. works for me.
Steve knight

I finally replaced my free craftsman 30 gal amazing 5.5hp compressor
with a nice small 4 gal non oiless compressor. the noise was so bad
even with hearing protection it was horrible. I guess it got jealous
as it died the next time I tried using it two weeks later (G) took the
pump off and hooked it to my smaller compressor. the smaller one will
actually fill it's tank and the 30 gallon tank faster then the
craftsman did.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Upscale

"J" wrote in message
Read through the responses. Have you asked your neighbors if it is
bothering them?

No, not so far. I feel that the once or twice weekly, 10 minutes use of the
compressor in the daytime is not of long enough duration that I need do so.
Hell the fire alarm in the building goes off much more often that I use my
compressor. That doesn't stop me from being aware of my neighbour's comfort.
Better to think about it too much than not enough as far as I'm concerned.

However, if I could abate some of the potential for noise, I'm sure I could
find increased usage for the compressor.

loutent

However, if I could abate some of the potential for noise, I'm sure I could
find increased usage for the compressor.

Hi Upscale,

It is interesting to me that you bring this up. I have had a
CH compressor for 7-8 years now (double tank type). I have
always left it "on" except when I drained it - less than 6 times
I would guess - just negligence on my part - so far so good.

Lately, the damn thing has been running every hour or so - the
cheap-ass swivel that I bought from Northern Tool gave up -
at least the o-ring did. Removed it and everything was ok.

Another angle: I was reading one of the "shop-tips" in FWW
(or whatever) and there was a hint about plugging your
compressor into a timer!

Duh!!!

Still another angle: I have been re-trimming all the windows
in the family room with a 3 piece Victorian molding - taking
off the builders crap. Started using a 6/8 pennies and a hammer.

Kind of felt nice in a perverted woodworking way. You actually
hold a nail and wood with one hand and drive the nail with
the other. Use fewer nails too.

Last angle: when you live in an apartment/condo, you have to put up
with some crap that you have no control over.

EWIW

Lou

John B

Upscale wrote:
Has anybody done something specific to minimize the noise from their
compressor aside from hiding it away 100 yards from where you live?

I've got a 1 hp, 3 gallon compressor that I use and it makes a terrible
racket the once or twice a week that I use it. I'm in an apartment so I'm
concerned about affecting the neighbours.

I was thinking of some type of boxed enclosure or mounting it somehow on a
foam rubber base to lessen vibration. Any suggestions?

G'day Upscale,
I have made my compressor significantly quieter by boxing it in. I have
it under a bench and enclosed it with Pegboard. Two doors on the front,
framed pegboard. I don't know the mechanics of why it works but it does
and the Pegboard allows plenty of airflow. I have my scroll saw on top
the bench and when working it and the compressor kicks into life it's
fine. Before the enclosure it scared the sh@t out of me every time
regards
I also have the none wheeled end sitting on some 1/4" insertion rubber
just a piece about 6" square.
John

Upscale

"John B" wrote in message
I have made my compressor significantly quieter by boxing it in. I have
it under a bench and enclosed it with Pegboard. Two doors on the front,
framed pegboard. I don't know the mechanics of why it works but it does
and the Pegboard allows plenty of airflow.

Just plain pegboard? Are you using the thicker 1/4" stuff with the bigger
holes or the thinner stuff with the corresponding smaller holes? Can I
assume you haven't lined the box with anything?

John B

Upscale wrote:
"John B" wrote in message

I have made my compressor significantly quieter by boxing it in. I have
it under a bench and enclosed it with Pegboard. Two doors on the front,
framed pegboard. I don't know the mechanics of why it works but it does
and the Pegboard allows plenty of airflow.

Just plain pegboard? Are you using the thicker 1/4" stuff with the bigger
holes or the thinner stuff with the corresponding smaller holes? Can I
assume you haven't lined the box with anything?

The 1/4" stuff, I had a couple of bits and pieces laying around
I tried placing egg cartons on the back wall (Shed), but they made no
difference. It is significantly louder where there are gaps in the doors
etc. The overall effects are quite comfortable with the peg board.
Regards
John
Upscale

"John B" wrote in message
The 1/4" stuff, I had a couple of bits and pieces laying around
I tried placing egg cartons on the back wall (Shed), but they made no
difference.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Pegboard is really cheap so the worst that can
happen is that I waste $15 for what at the very least, would be a learning
experience. Providing it produces a noticeable diminishing of sound volume,
I'd hazard a guess that the holes in the pegboard diffuse the sound enough
to prevent a measure of resonance.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"John B" wrote in message
The 1/4" stuff, I had a couple of bits and pieces laying around
I tried placing egg cartons on the back wall (Shed), but they made no
difference.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Pegboard is really cheap so the worst that can
happen is that I waste $15 for what at the very least, would be a learning
experience. Providing it produces a noticeable diminishing of sound volume,
I'd hazard a guess that the holes in the pegboard diffuse the sound enough
to prevent a measure of resonance.

What would work even better, is two layers of peg-board, 1" apart with
the holes off-set from each other with a thin layer of fibre glass
insulation in between. That how I designed soundproof operators
enclosures for Ontario Hydro's RL Hearn Generating Station (The one at
the Leslie Spit).
Peckover's in Concord will sell you perforated metal. Easy to cut and
fold. Use 3/8" holes on the inner enclosure, 1" hard fibreglass
insulation and 1/4" holes on the outside. (You'd still need a muffin fan
though, as the rigid insulation isn't very "airy")
That would be the fire-proof version. The upside of the rigid insulation
would be that the inner and outer enclosures would not have to be
mechanically connected, again stopping noise from transmitting.

Generally speaking, the oil-less compressors seems louder than non oil-less.

We used to keep the shop compressor just outside in an old full-height
freezer. And when the compressor exploded one day, we think the
freezer may have reduced the amount of shrapnel that came though the wall.