Ross Payne

Default Compressor Noise

About three weeks ago, I bought a new Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator
(built by Amana-Maytag). Overall the compressor is quiet, compared to older
units. But when the compressor first comes on, perhaps 30 seconds or so
later, I hear some popping noises that go away about 10 seconds later. This
is loud enough to be heard in the next room (when the TV is off). At times,
it is louder than at other times with no pattern I can figure out. Sears
says this is normal, but I wonder whether it might indicate a problem. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

Ross

John Hines

"Ross Payne" wrote:

is loud enough to be heard in the next room (when the TV is off). At times,
it is louder than at other times with no pattern I can figure out. Sears
says this is normal, but I wonder whether it might indicate a problem. Any
thoughts? Thanks.

From the discussion on air compressors in this group, it sounds like it
is unloading the pressure off the compressor, so it doesn't have to
start under full load.

So I'd agree that it is normal, if annoying.
Dave Harnish

Ross,

I'd bet on the evaporator 'popping' that often happens on
these with expansion/contraction of the aluminum. Loosening
the evaporator mounting screws - when screws are used -
has helped with this a little. We had a run of these on the
Whirlpool BF's (also made by Amana) a few years ago,
and loosening the screws 1/4 to 1/2 turn corrected the noise
complaints.

When it starts, hold the freezer door open and see if the
'pops' seem to be coming from inside the freezer compartment.

If it doesn't get any worse, I'd probably not worry about it
too much. But if it continues to be an annoyance, I'd suggest
that a warranty company loosen the evap and/or evap cover
screws a bit - will be worth a try.

Another possibility is the compressor itself. They're being made
in Brazil by Embraco, and have had more than their share of
problems. The good news is they're covered under a 5 year
warranty.

Hope that helps.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

.. .